What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings

So far, my all time favorite Violin 1 Legato patch is a layered Berlin Strings V1 Sul Tasto on top of SStS Pro Violin 2 Legato .. dont ask, but this sounds reeally nice, soft but agile, with enough detail :P
For more lush I love the combo CSS V1, CS2 V1 and a bit of CSSS .. hard to beat as well
and a third contender would be L&SCS V1 on top of CSS V1

So yeah, layering is definitely the way to go .. at least for me
Any chance of a quick demo

Playing with lower vibrato isn't a bug that needs fixing. It's a style of playing. If we were talking about a hiss or noisy samples I'd agree with you, though my impression is that such issues of quality are much less of a concern in these forums than a library recorded outside of a very narrow range of playing styles.
I'm not sure why you're telling me this since i have no issue with the vibrato. In fact i think it works perfectly in the example posted by Batrawi on the page below. It crossfade very smoothly from NV to vibrato and is very effective. Plus he improved the legato transition a lot.

I'm not sure why you're telling me this since i have no issue with the vibrato. In fact i think it works perfectly in the example posted by Batrawi on the page below. It crossfade very smoothly from NV to vibrato and is very effective. Plus he improved the legato transition a lot.

Because all my comments were in the context of the vibrato, but i do agree with you that there are improvements that can be made to the legato.

I love the tone of it as expected, but it sounds like they're drunk. I think they are playing the entire thing with sped up legatos like I've been doing, but they overshot and now the transitions are TOO slow. The sound itself is great though. I just would've sped that port up even more
Beautiful composition. MSS is sounding very natural (not synthetic) in this demo

Sorry to ask but I'm been busy and I lost the thread, that is quite long... Could you make a summary of the state/opinions of MSS? Thanks!

Sorry to ask but I'm been busy and I lost the thread, that is quite long... Could you make a summary of the state/opinions of MSS? Thanks!
Opinions are divided. There’s universal applause for the size and scope of the library and its list of features, level of control, and plethora of articulations, but many aren’t happy with the tone (sounds kinda boxy/stuffy, like it was recorded in a small room, which is somewhat improved by removing the default reverbs/IRs) and the legato transitions (notes seem to fade into each other rather than flow). However, Audiobro have been admirably responsive and a major update is in the works, said to address the legatos especially but other things as well, and is expected in maybe a week or two (no hard date). Audiobro have also said they’d extend the current intro pricing to accommodate the update.

Opinions are divided. There’s universal applause for the size and scope of the library and its list of features, level of control, and plethora of articulations, but many aren’t happy with the tone (sounds kinda boxy/stuffy, like it was recorded in a small room, which is somewhat improved by removing the default reverbs/IRs) and the legato transitions (notes seem to fade into each other rather than flow). However, Audiobro have been admirably responsive and a major update is in the works, said to address the legatos especially but other things as well, and is expected in maybe a week or two (no hard date). Audiobro have also said they’d extend the current intro pricing to accommodate the update.
Thank you very much, this is what I needed.

Reactions: Noc
Any chance of a quick demo
here you go - improvised and recorded a quick phrase. Tweaked then all notes and CC-curve for every version/library - raw sound, no reverb - just a bit piano for harmonic context
1. Berlin Strings Sul Tasto + SStS Pro Violin2 (6) (Tree + Close1 for SStS)
I really like that combo - also prefer Violin 2 in SStS as it has a bit more edge, giving the smooth BS Sul Tasto a lot of detail
2. Berlin Strings Main Adaptive Legato (Tree + ConcertMaster)
3. CSS (+ CSSS) (Tree + a bit Close)
4. CSS + CS2 (+ CSSS) (Tree + a bit Close)
5. BBC SO (Core)
6. MSS (incl PP-trick) (Stage + a bit Close)

maybe the melody is a bit sad :P

Attachments

• legatos.mp3
    6.6 MB
Last edited:
here you go - improvised and recorded a quick phrase. Tweaked then all notes and CC-curve for every version/library - raw sound, no reverb - just a bit piano for harmonic context
1. Berlin Strings Sul Tasto + SStS Pro Violin 2 (V2 has more edge than V1 in SStS)
2. Berlin Strings Main Adaptive Legato
3. CSS (+ CSSS)
4. CSS + CS2 (+ CSSS)
5. BBC SO (Core)
6. MSS (incl PP-trick)

I like #1 the best, fwiw

Ok I'm not sure what people will think of this....

I approached it as a way how MSS vibrato would sound in context of a 'modern scoring' piece airing in 2021.

Because when I heard the cue on my TV I thought it sounded like relatively little vibrato was used. I got more than I bargained for when I tried to recreate it, and I'm not 100% delighted with my results ... including but not limited to: my attempts at transcribing a piece that has some slightly tricky chromatic shifts.

0:00 Talking
3:49 My attempt with MSS & external FX
5:27 TV Version (no spoilers intended)
6:38 Soundtrack version with Solo Violin
8:55 Explanation of my attempt & FX
17:31 No melody (bottom 3 voices)
20:18 My attempt w/MSS again (w/EQ and FX)
21:43 My attempt w/MSS - Reverb only

1. Berlin Strings Sul Tasto + SStS Pro Violin 2 (V2 has more edge than V1 in SStS)
2. Berlin Strings Main Adaptive Legato
3. CSS (+ CSSS)
4. CSS + CS2 (+ CSSS)
5. BBC SO (Core)
6. MSS (incl PP-trick)

Tough one, but I think #2 is my favorite. It very well could be that I already know that #1 uses two separate libraries, but my ears are telling me that I hear two different libraries.

I like #2 because it feels more alive without getting into the occasional extreme that something like CSS or Vista can hit ("press key for emotion").

With that said, there's no way I'd pick such a "layered library" thing out were this on my TV's soundbar or my earbuds I wear when exercising. Not a chance. This is a case of extreme nitpicking.

Thank you for posting this. MSS shows some potential. Good stuff!

Last edited:
I really like that combo - also prefer Violin 2 in SStS as it has a bit more edge, giving the smooth BS Sul Tasto a lot of detail
5. BBC SO (Core)

Thanks. I think I prefer 1 too but actually MSS sounded pretty good too. Might send you back a version with a made up section of solo violins if I think it sounds better.(or different in a chamber way anyway)

I approached it as a way how MSS vibrato would sound in context of a 'modern scoring' piece airing in 2021.

Because when I heard the cue on my TV I thought it sounded like relatively little vibrato was used. I got more than I bargained for when I tried to recreate it, and I'm not 100% delighted with my results ... including but not limited to: my attempts at transcribing a piece that has some slightly tricky chromatic shifts.

Good work , I think I prefer the very last version without any saturation fx etc. Just listening on IPad though, the previous versions sounded a little harsh , like it needed more vib.

Bought it the day it came out and I'm pretty happy both with the library and the sound. I also have CSS and SCS. They all have their uses. Been using it for underscore and pop songs and having success with both. Maybe people overthink things? I just buy stuff, buckle down and get back to work because I don't have a lot of time to play around - just deadlines to meet.

I just got tapped to score a psychological thriller and I'm really excited to dig in more into the detuning and all the aleatoric stuff. I have a feeling I'm gonna be very grateful with the timing of the release this library and landing this gig.

Well done. I personally think the TV version sounds the best though, tonally. For some reason, MSS's tone is not quite clicking with me here, even with your EQ attempts. There's this overly strident quality that exists in LASS as well.

Well done. I personally think the TV version sounds the best though, tonally. For some reason, MSS's tone is not quite clicking with me here, even with your EQ attempts. There's this overly strident quality that exists in LASS as well.
+ sounds like it could benefit from some missing harmonies so the bass doesnt sound so exposed and strident ?

5. BBC SO (Core)

I had a go at emulating your test. Be prepared for a surprise at the end.
The idea is to show what you can do with creating your own sections with solo libraries which I hope helps create more definition and less synthy sounding, (more variation of tone) particularly in divisi writing. In the hope of sounding more realistic.

1. SCS close mikes as chamber comparison using a chamber library (IMo not very nice)
2. My Unify solo 5 violins patch ( performance sea violin, Spitfire artisan, sarconni , berlin chair 2nd violin and joshua bell.(dry no eq or anything )
3. Your Berlin Strings Sul Tasto + SStS Pro Violin2
4. CSS +my solo violins
5. your tune arranged for chamber strings.( using solo violins patch, DSS for 2nds , Dss violas , Lass cello, and CSS for high strings. +bit of altiverb and lex.

View attachment Legato test solovioloins.mp3

I had a go at emulating your test. Be prepared for a surprise at the end.
The idea is to show what you can do with creating your own sections with solo libraries which I hope helps create more definition and less synthy sounding, (more variation of tone) particularly in divisi writing. In the hope of sounding more realistic.

1. SCS close mikes as chamber comparison using a chamber library (IMo not very nice)
2. My Unify solo 5 violins patch ( performance sea violin, Spitfire artisan, sarconni , berlin chair 2nd violin and joshua bell.(dry no eq or anything )
3. Your Berlin Strings Sul Tasto + SStS Pro Violin2
4. CSS +my solo violins
5. your tune arranged for chamber strings.( using solo violins patch, DSS for 2nds , Dss violas , Lass cello, and CSS for high strings. +bit of altiverb and lex.

View attachment Legato test solovioloins.mp3
Very interesting tests. Thanks for that. I really like the tone in the version with CSS and solo violins.. what exactly means “your solo violins”?

Also like the idea of arranging that for chamber strings 👍👍 nice to hear that. Maybe I should try that with MSS

Top Bottom