What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings

That new video does sound pretty good, but it's worth keeping in mind (for those still trying to evaluate whether or not to purchase this library) that the piece being played there is a very specific style or sound. I think the strings sound good in that context, but they also sound thin. I don't mean "thin" in a bad or derogatory way here, because I think that thinner sound is what the piece calls for. The issue is if somebody is looking to do something that calls for a fuller sound and has been disappointed in previous demos, I don't think this one changes that.

Is that as I have always read around here complaints about the sound, the legato, that it sounds muddy, that it sounds thin, ..... The video gives me to understand that this library offers all the possibilities. Of course, you have to work in each case to get the sound you are looking for. I do not see a defect, but each one with his opinion :)

I just found this on Youtube. They sound spectacular to me.

I love the tone of it as expected, but it sounds like they're drunk. I think they are playing the entire thing with sped up legatos like I've been doing, but they overshot and now the transitions are TOO slow. The sound itself is great though. I just would've sped that port up even more

Are those port or gliss?

It sounds great. I’m of the opinion that v1.1 will kill it, because I’d bet my left arm that the raw material for fully displayed transitions is there in the sample pool and it’s simply a matter of bringing it out. To play devil’s advocate though, the gesture throughout the piece is: single note crescendo—>gliss down—>repeat, for the entire piece. While entrancing, it’s not a reasonable way to assess a sustained legato line as yet. The first chair solo strings peppered throughout sound fantastic in this piece.

On tone, I’m bemused by the debate, because this sampling session was triple miked, the close mics are very detailed indeed, and that means it’s just a matter of EQ and maybe some character (via preamp, tape, compressors etc.) to taste. It really is. The raw material’s there.

There were all sorts of complaints about e.g., VSL solo strings when they came out; how they were “cold” in tone, “sterile,” etc. etc., people then readily composed pieces with them that showed that the warmth, wood & rosin was all in there just waiting to be brought out with processing to one’s own preference.

Last edited:
the portamento transitions are fine. the legato transitions are of issue, and there are volume inconsistencies when switching between the two.

still cant get the provided articulations sets to work either.

the cresendo-normal-accented feels cumbersome to use, particularly with legato on.

the section shorts are somewhat mechanical sounding to me, although the soloists shorts are great.

the trems, trills, scales, and ostinatos are great.

was so excited for this library but it has already been moved to my spare HDD.

Are those port or gliss?

It sounds great. I’m of the opinion that v1.1 will kill it, because I’d bet my left arm that the raw material for fully displayed transitions is there in the sample pool and it’s simply a matter of bringing it out. To play devil’s advocate though, the gesture throughout the piece is: single note crescendo—>gliss down—>repeat, for the entire piece. While entrancing, it’s not a reasonable way to assess a sustained legato line as yet. The first chair solo strings peppered throughout sound fantastic in this piece.

On tone, I’m bemused by the debate, because this sampling session was triple miked, the close mics are very detailed indeed, and that means it’s just a matter of EQ and maybe some character (via preamp, tape, compressors etc.) to taste. It really is. The raw material’s there.

There were all sorts of complaints about e.g., VSL solo strings when they came out; how they were “cold” in tone, “sterile,” etc. etc., people then readily composed pieces with them that showed that the warmth, wood & rosin was all in there just waiting to be brought out with processing to one’s own preference.
For me, it is the tone. I wasn't really paying attention to the legato so much. It's one of those thing that I can't explain because I don't know whether it is boxy or woody or thin. I just know when I like the sound. The things I've heard so far have been a bit mixed, which leads me to believe the sound is there, but I'm not sure how much work it is to get it.

I really appreciate the diverse(pros&cons) opinions/reviews of the library by users so far.

I haven't been posting frequently as I was previously, but still have been reading through the posts
and just wanted to say thx.

2 quick pieces of advice that may help some of the problems I’m seeing people have:

1. Be aware that the mix mic ONLY mixes the stage and room mics. AudioBro mentions that this is because everyone has a different preference for amount of close mic. So I keep both on and dial the close mic to taste (currently that’s -4.5db).

2. For using the included articulation sets/expression maps, you MUST select the DAW Integration snapshot from the snapshot list. It won’t work otherwise.

Hope that helps a few people!

the portamento transitions are fine. the legato transitions are of issue, and there are volume inconsistencies when switching between the two.
Good to know. Hit Andrew & Sebastian up on the Audiobro forum? - this is the kind of thing that they can correct by putting the time in.

still cant get the provided articulations sets to work either.
In Logic you mean?

the cresendo-normal-accented feels cumbersome to use, particularly with legato on.
Is this velocity by default or CC? Can it be changed to match your preference? I feel as though Velocity—>attack type would be the way I’d want things, with transition triggered with another CC.

the section shorts are somewhat mechanical sounding to me, although the soloists shorts are great.
Cranking up humanization on the sections doesn’t help with this?

the trems, trills, scales, and ostinatos are great.

Hi there, I'm new here. I made the video a page back that was posted this afternoon.

A few pointers:
- Yes, I put the transition speed of the glissando all the way down (the rest is on auto)
- I used some patches from the expanded legatos.
(The piece was a real quick one, primarily trying/demonstrating the legato strings, don't look too critically at the composition itself)

The library as a whole sounds pretty great.
However, I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the approach they seem to be taking, where in some cases algorithms decide which articulations (in shorts) or even which notes are being played (ostinatos). As a long time user of LASS, I feel less in control (but that may change the more I use MSS).

As someone said, crescendo & glissando are linked in legato, which is one of those decisions I'm trying to wrap my head around. Technically you can unlink them, but the default settings seem (generally) really targeted to production speed at the cost of control.

Some major positives:
- the solo violin sounds way more lyrical than the FCs in LASS, I like it a lot
- a less harsh sound in general, particular the legato celli

Last edited:
Hi there, I'm new here. I made the video a page back that was posted this afternoon.

A few pointers:
- Yes, I put the transition speed of the glissando all the way down (the rest is on auto)
(The piece was a real quick one, primarily trying/demonstrating the legato strings, don't look too critically at the composition itself)

However, I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the approach they seem te be taking, where in some cases algorithms decide which articulations (in shorts) or even which notes are being played (ostinatos). As a long time user of LASS, I feel less in control (but that may change the more I use MSS).

As someone said, crescendo & glissando are linked in legato, which is one of those decisions I'm trying to wrap my head around. Technically you can unlink them, but the default settings seem (generally) really targeted to production speed at the cost of control.

Some major positives:
THANKS!!! for posting here. :)

A few pointers:

However, I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the approach they seem te be taking, where in some cases algorithms decide which articulations (in shorts) or even which notes are being played (ostinatos). As a long time user of LASS, I feel less in control (but that may change the more I use MSS).

Some major positives:
Welcome! Thanks for sharing your feelings on this library.

I just found this on Youtube. They sound spectacular to me.

The use of the 1st chair is helping making it sound more real and less synthy for sure (possibly a little too loud but listening on iPad) . The overuse of portamento though is unconvincing. The last section from 1:00 sounds better. Is there a way to reduce the volume of the portamento or make it more subtle?

The use of the 1st chair is helping making it sound more real and less synthy for sure (possibly a little too loud but listening on iPad) . The overuse of portamento though is unconvincing. The last section from 1:00 sounds better. Is there a way to reduce the volume of the portamento or make it more subtle?
Both, yes. It can be made quieter and it can be sped up

Both, yes. It can be made quieter and it can be sped up
Note that this is true for 'standard' legato, not for expanded legato. It's one of those points I was talking about, where I feel MSS gives less control than LASS.
I used the default settings on the portamento and, as you all noticed, they are a bit problematic.

(But also: the library is maybe too fresh to pass judgement on, it took me about a year to be able to really 'swim' in LASS)

Note that this is true for 'standard' legato, not for expanded legato. It's one of those points I was talking about, where I feel MSS gives less control than LASS.
I used the default settings on the portamento and, as you all noticed, they are a bit problematic.

(But also: the library is maybe too fresh to pass judgement on, it took me about a year to be able to really 'swim' in LASS)
I use the portamento differently from LASS. With MSS i think it's better to use the portamento only for portamento transitions and not as a second legato at fast setting. There's a lot of expression in using the normal-accented-crescendo with legato transitions. Then I leave the portamento/glissando for when I really need sliding between notes (which works really well for that).

I'm not sure i follow what you mean. Which legato can't you control? I only have the Expanded Legato set and i can affect the transitions here

I'm not sure i follow what you mean. Which legato can't you control? I only have the Expanded Legato set and i can affect the transitions here
not at the computer at the moment - but I think in standard MSS one can only change the speed of portamento and Gliss, not the volume. Only for legato we have more control .. Am I wrong? will check later

Top Bottom