What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings

Good morning, folks. Pricing always comes with some indigestion.
:cautious:

At this point we've committed to a month at this loyalty price... but the intention is to keep a loyalty program.

There isn't an additional discount for LASS LS. It's basically three tiers: (1) new customer intro price, (2) bought any version of LASS Full from us loyalty price, (3) bought anything else from us loyalty price. So if you own LASS LS but not LASS Full you do get a discount... but the largest loyalty discount is and will likely always be from LASS Full.

One thing that maybe bears repeating is that this is not truly a LASS upgrade... it's a new string library. But we've been fortunate enough to be in business for a decade now and wanted to provide a substantial discount to the folks that have kept the lights on for us.

Yes, later this year.

Just to be 100% clear.... both Viola sections (2 divisi sections) are completely new recordings and have articulation and feature parity with the rest of the library. So there's nothing to update... it's brand new.

We did not record a new Solo Viola, but during development we happened to try layering the LASS First Chair Viola and it was a really fantastic sound. So we re-mixed the original viola and included it for that purpose. Think of it as a bonus, and one that can be extremely useful in the section (at least that's what we found).

Sorry if this has caused any confusion... we just wanted to be 100% transparent about the solo viola. Everything else is new.

For quintoles/septoles/etc... there isn't a truly simple way in 1.0 (beyond just playing in the parts of course). I can probably offer you relatively quick solutions in a few cases, but something like this could definitely be better done in an update without too much fuss. We're feature-locked for release now, but I'll certainly add it to the ideas list.

This will be easier to demo in a video, but right now the options for scales are:

*Select any key and tonality/mode
1. Diatonic Held mode: hold a note and the scale will continue up or down in the key/tonality you've chosen. You can start on non-diatonic chord tones

2. Chromatic Held mode: same as above, just chromatic

3. Start-End note mode: Play the scale start and end notes and the scale will play. Again, you can start and/or end on non-diatonic notes.

4. Fully manual mode: Play scale elements of tuplets or 16ths in various combinations

(there are also octave modes as well as tempo synched full octave Maj/Min runs)

In terms of completely custom scales that fall outside the realm of what that gives you you can either manually combine scale elements (#4) or use playable runs.

--

Hopefully that answers a few questions anyway. For those doing the math here's something fun to think about... LASS Full is around 17GB for 20 sections. MSS is by far the most extensive thing we're ever done. It's taken us the better part of a decade to figure out how to do something with a scope this large. There were no corners cut. Pretty soon you'll take a listen and decide for yourselves.
To be honest @dxmachina, I think the pricing is pretty fair. just worried that buying into the loyalty/ first buyer/etc. etc. pricing will not be so fruitful in the long run, looking at what happened (pricing wise) with Modern Scoring Brass.

Excited to hear the library either way.

Can someone explain how the divisi is different between MSS and LASS 2.5?

I am new to music and keep thinking that LASS has more separation (?) than MSS.

@dxmachina

Are you able to disclose if MSS was sampled every whole tone/m3rd/M3rd etc?

I'm assuming this will probably differ between a sustain patch or a phrase/run patch.
Or even differ depending on the register.
So I hope you can provide some detailed information regarding this, since this is hard to spot from demos/videos. And especially since sample libraries are nonrefundable.
I'd like to know as much as possible.

Thx!

It lacks articulations compared to the other solos.
I would like to know if there will be an update for the violas before buying!
Given that this is an ensemble library, not a soloist library, and the first chairs are likely only there for the sake of a little more detail like in the original LASS, this seems backwards. It's kind of like saying you aren't a fan of Vista because the harp doesn't come with pres de la table

Given that this is an ensemble library, not a soloist library, and the first chairs are likely only there for the sake of a little more detail like in the original LASS, this seems backwards. It's kind of like saying you aren't a fan of Vista bec
If the solo viola was complete then the missing solo contrabass would be the problem! It is a never ending cycle.

Is there any reason to buy LASS full now to get the crossgrade discount which would translate to paying $150 for LASS compared to just buying only MSS full? Seems that the concensus is that LASS is pretty outdated. Maybe doing so would ensure another discount when LASS 3 is released?

To be honest @dxmachina, I think the pricing is pretty fair. just worried that buying into the loyalty/ first buyer/etc. etc. pricing will not be so fruitful in the long run
Understood. We're honestly really unhappy at the direction the industry has gone in terms of pricing. It's not so much disappointment that libraries are selling for less money, but that there is such pricing whiplash and it leaves customers and developers (at least us) with a bad taste. What I can tell you is that we do believe these price points are somewhat disruptive for a library of this scope and that the offer we're making for LASS Full owners is unique.

Are you able to disclose if MSS was sampled every whole tone/m3rd/M3rd etc?

I'm assuming this will probably differ between a sustain patch or a phrase/run patch.
Or even differ depending on the register.
Whole tone... but legato/port/gliss are sampled chromatically to an octave from each whole tone for obvious reasons. The only other exception I can think of is the low register of natural harmonics - but that's a physics limitation. :)

Can someone explain how the divisi is different between MSS and LASS 2.5?

I am new to music and keep thinking that LASS has more separation (?) than MSS.
In LASS each section was split into 3 smaller parts (Violins were 4+4+8 for example). MSS uses 2 splits (so 8+8 on Violins). There's one big additional wrinkle though... LASS had artificial Violins 2 that re-used the Violins 1 samples. MSS has real recorded Violins 2 (again split in half 7+7). So in the case of Violins you can get a completely natural 4-way split with MSS.

Given that this is an ensemble library, not a soloist library, and the first chairs are likely only there for the sake of a little more detail like in the original LASS, this seems backwards. It's kind of like saying you aren't a fan of Vista because the harp doesn't come with pres de la table
I'm not fan of Vista, I's true ;)
But, the first chair have a sens on real section of strings

Good morning, folks. Pricing always comes with some indigestion.
:cautious:

One thing that maybe bears repeating is that this is not truly a LASS upgrade... it's a new string library. But we've been fortunate enough to be in business for a decade now and wanted to provide a substantial discount to the folks that have kept the lights on for us.
Thanks for clarifying this. As a LASS 2.5 owner, I was curious about how the loyalty pricing was calculated. :)

I think to be fair, few other developers offer discounts on a new String Library , if you own one of their older ones - (Think Spitfire, and OT and that is not a criticism of these developers ) .

Audio bro have stated many times that MSS is NOT LASS 3, but almost an entirely different library (Im looking at you First Chair Viola). Lass 3 is coming out later this year. So I think its actually pretty fair , if not generous , overall.

I think after BF and Xmas sales and give aways, we all feel a little Spoiled :)

A couple of questions - If i asked this one before I apologise (short term memory problems :( )

So in theory can you get 4-way Divisi with a Master Violin patch (Pretty much what you did when you partner with Native Instruments for Symphony Series) - or is it just two separate patches (V1 ,v2) ?

And lastly, the fact that Whole tone sampling MUST BE good enough to fool even the most Golden ears, fascinates me. I know their is all sorts of tricks you can do with Kontakt, but if recorded with Vibrato,
would the fact that every other sample is time + pitch stretched in some way not be able to discern if you were very very good at listening for these things ?

And what about the fact that if you used, say G then G# , even if could not hear any difference, the chance of the same Round robin being played with those two notes, could perhaps Sub consciously affect how you perceive the sound quality etc - as it has only been pitched up - or is that alone enough to make it sound like its own RR ?

I think to be fair, few other developers offer discounts on a new String Library , if you own one of their older ones - (Think Spitfire, and OT and that is not a criticism of these developers ) .

Audio bro have stated many times that MSS is NOT LASS 3, but almost an entirely different library (Im looking at you First Chair Viola). Lass 3 is coming out later this year. So I think its actually pretty fair , if not generous , overall.

Completely agree. Seems pretty fair to me.

Last edited:
"In LASS each section was split into 3 smaller parts (Violins were 4+4+8 for example). MSS uses 2 splits (so 8+8 on Violins). There's one big additional wrinkle though... LASS had artificial Violins 2 that re-used the Violins 1 samples. MSS has real recorded Violins 2 (again split in half 7+7). So in the case of Violins you can get a completely natural 4-way split with MSS."

IT Would be GREAT if we could also get some clever Ensemble patches , like in LASS 2.5 - The 6 Voice AA Divisi across the entire range etc - I presume these are the sort of things that might come in future updates.

For what it's worth, OT recently had a discount on Berlin Symphonic Strings for owners of Berlin Strings.

In LASS each section was split into 3 smaller parts (Violins were 4+4+8 for example). MSS uses 2 splits (so 8+8 on Violins). There's one big additional wrinkle though... LASS had artificial Violins 2 that re-used the Violins 1 samples. MSS has real recorded Violins 2 (again split in half 7+7). So in the case of Violins you can get a completely natural 4-way split with MSS.
Thanks!

I would have preferred more division, as in, say for violins that MSS have 4+4+4+4, and not 8+8. :)

I hope that LASS 3.0 has 4+4+4+4.

For what it's worth, OT recently had a discount on Berlin Symphonic Strings for owners of Berlin Strings.
This is true, but that is an extension of the Berlin Strings series (Unlike MSS from LASS), I agree maybe OT was not a good example as they do not have loads and loads different lines of string libraries.

Understood. We're honestly really unhappy at the direction the industry has gone in terms of pricing. It's not so much disappointment that libraries are selling for less money, but that there is such pricing whiplash and it leaves customers and developers (at least us) with a bad taste. What I can tell you is that we do believe these price points are somewhat disruptive for a library of this scope and that the offer we're making for LASS Full owners is unique.
My post probably came across snarkier than I intended. I think I had a slightly different expectation based on the earlier comments made, which goes to show the potential backlash of developers dropping hints about pricing/availability.

I am rather amazed though that given how far along this product must be to release in 3 weeks or so, that some preliminary demos/videos of basic tone/articulations hasn't been released. Of course I'm amazed at only 2 demos being on the MSB website after all this time too.

Top Bottom