What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings

It's only the FC though, not the whole section. Who knows, perhaps they preferred the LASS version - it does sound good and malleable.
Yeah.. I'm glad they didn't decide to keep the whole Viola section from LASS.

I still find it very strange. I guess we will never know why they kept it, because I don't think that's the best sounding viola they could have sampled. It just makes no sense to me.

Why do you keep asking the same questions?

It's puzzling to me why he would decide to not record a new Solo Viola, maybe he didn't want to deal with a Violist, and thought the old one would do the job ? what other reason can it be ? :)

Sebastian already answered this (after your previous post in November).

dxmachina said:
I saw some questions as to why we're including the LASS Solo Viola. It was definitely not the plan going in... but we happened to try layering the LASS Viola with Modern Scoring Strings' Viola section and it was just too good not to include.

This is pretty much 3 or 4 libraries in one by the latest standards. So the pricing seems very reasonable. There might be a "lite" version in a year or two for those who want to spend less.

@dxmachina :
I have a question in regards to the synced articulations (octave runs, scales, ostinati):
When using short scales and runs, how easy will it be to set up the typical late romantic constellations, where instead of using plain 16th or triplets different sections perform different n-toles?
(Like normal 16th against quintoles against triplets against septoles)
Will this be doable in an easy way?
Will there be an easy way to use ostinato intervals in quintoles?

Also, with regards to scales:
Will it be possible to create custom scales (like e.g a major scale with an additional #4 [would be c-d-e-f-f#-g-a-b in C-maj] and similar?

p.s. as a long time LASS and MSB user i'm already really excited about this new release... :)

Can someone check my math and let me know if I'm missing something?

Total ibrary size(131GB) ÷ 12 sections(10 divisi+2 solos) ÷ 4 mic positions = 2.7GB only per section.. which seems very very small compared to the huge content per section...right?

This is pretty much 3 or 4 libraries in one by the latest standards. So the pricing seems very reasonable. There might be a "lite" version in a year or two for those who want to spend less.
I think it's pretty damn close to berlin strings main in terms of size on disc, so I think the pricing is fair.

I don't think I want to spend another 550$ on string libraries right now though so I might be sitting this one out.

Can someone check my math and let me know if I'm missing something?

Total ibrary size(131GB) ÷ 12 sections(10 divisi+2 solos) ÷ 4 mic positions = 2.7GB only per section.. which seems very very small compared to the huge content per section...right?
Valid point actually. I think the library I compared it to(berlin strings main) was ~7 GB per instrument using the same formula(off the top of my head it was 160gb/5 instruments/mostly 4 mics(a few patches have a leader mic)

You do get over twice the instruments though, so it's got that going for it.

Valid point actually. I think the library I compared it to(berlin strings main) was ~7 GB per instrument using the same formula(off the top of my head it was 160gb/5 instruments/mostly 4 mics(a few patches have a leader mic)

To add another point of comparison: CSS is 32GB of sample content on disk, that is ~6.4GB per section /4 mics = ~1.6GB of compressed content per microphone. So MSS with 131GB of compressed sample content amounts to a little over 4x the sample content compared to CSS. Anyway, not sure how much of an indicator size is, but there you go.

I'm also curious how the MSS Solo Violin, and Cello will sound compared to LASS First Chairs.

The Solo Viola is recycled from LASS. Not sure why they did that, they mention it is to match MSS Sound, but I don't really understand that reasoning.
I don't understand either and no explanations despite my request.
I would like to know if there will be an update for the violas before buying!

I don't understand either and no explanations despite my request.
Except there is an explanation, @ALittleNightMusic has just repeated the answer a couple of posts up...

It doesn't matter though if we're ultimately calculating the size per section, no...? my point eventually is that MSS size per section seems very small compared to (let's say a similarly extensive library) such as Berlin's(7GB) for example.. which looks very strange to me

Except there is an explanation, @ALittleNightMusic has just repeated the answer a couple of posts up...

It lacks articulations compared to the other solos.

Top Bottom