What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings

molemac

here you go - improvised and recorded a quick phrase. Tweaked then all notes and CC-curve for every version/library - raw sound, no reverb - just a bit piano for harmonic context
1. Berlin Strings Sul Tasto + SStS Pro Violin2 (6) (Tree + Close1 for SStS)
I really like that combo - also prefer Violin 2 in SStS as it has a bit more edge, giving the smooth BS Sul Tasto a lot of detail
2. Berlin Strings Main Adaptive Legato (Tree + ConcertMaster)
3. CSS (+ CSSS) (Tree + a bit Close)
4. CSS + CS2 (+ CSSS) (Tree + a bit Close)
5. BBC SO (Core)
6. MSS (incl PP-trick) (Stage + a bit Close)

maybe the melody is a bit sad :P

I had a go at emulating your test. Be prepared for a surprise at the end.
The idea is to show what you can do with creating your own sections with solo libraries which I hope helps create more definition and less synthy sounding, (more variation of tone) particularly in divisi writing. In the hope of sounding more realistic.

1. SCS close mikes as chamber comparison using a chamber library (IMo not very nice)
2. My Unify solo 5 violins patch ( performance sea violin, Spitfire artisan, sarconni , berlin chair 2nd violin and joshua bell.(dry no eq or anything )
3. Your Berlin Strings Sul Tasto + SStS Pro Violin2
4. CSS +my solo violins
5. your tune arranged for chamber strings.( using solo violins patch, DSS for 2nds , Dss violas , Lass cello, and CSS for high strings. +bit of altiverb and lex.

View attachment Legato test solovioloins.mp3

borisb2

I had a go at emulating your test. Be prepared for a surprise at the end.
The idea is to show what you can do with creating your own sections with solo libraries which I hope helps create more definition and less synthy sounding, (more variation of tone) particularly in divisi writing. In the hope of sounding more realistic.

1. SCS close mikes as chamber comparison using a chamber library (IMo not very nice)
2. My Unify solo 5 violins patch ( performance sea violin, Spitfire artisan, sarconni , berlin chair 2nd violin and joshua bell.(dry no eq or anything )
3. Your Berlin Strings Sul Tasto + SStS Pro Violin2
4. CSS +my solo violins
5. your tune arranged for chamber strings.( using solo violins patch, DSS for 2nds , Dss violas , Lass cello, and CSS for high strings. +bit of altiverb and lex.

View attachment 46106
Very interesting tests. Thanks for that. I really like the tone in the version with CSS and solo violins.. what exactly means “your solo violins”?

Also like the idea of arranging that for chamber strings 👍👍 nice to hear that. Maybe I should try that with MSS

molemac

Very interesting tests. Thanks for that. I really like the tone in the version with CSS and solo violins.. what exactly means “your solo violins”?

Also like the idea of arranging that for chamber strings 👍👍 nice to hear that. Maybe I should try that with MSS
The solo violins is just the combination of 5 solo violins from different libraries all on one midi track in Unify. Be good to hear the MSS version . If I buy it I will add the first chair to the 5 violions , I think it might work well, or use it with one of the divisi section to create a 2nd violin patch

onfireee

Apologies if this has been asked already given the length of this thread... Has anyone done any MSS vs LASS direct video comparisons? Audiobro told me that the upcoming LASS 3 will only be a UI and Engine update, which i am totally stoked on... But do I need MSS too? haha.

DarthSouls

I am very excited about the update. Got both MSS-libraries on the first day but didn't have time to explore them much.

@DarthSouls One question: How do you make the pitch and the expression map articulation visible in the notes in the key editor? That's pretty neat! View attachment 45943
If your *Attribute* Expression Map has a description for the articulation, it automatically becomes the 'text'. And then it's simply a matter of zooming out. (You may need to fiddle a bit in the settings to get that right for your your screen setup).

Soundbed

Music for TV
Well done. I personally think the TV version sounds the best though, tonally. For some reason, MSS's tone is not quite clicking with me here, even with your EQ attempts. There's this overly strident quality that exists in LASS as well.
I like the tv version best too, it “sings” without being too trebly.
+ sounds like it could benefit from some missing harmonies so the bass doesnt sound so exposed and strident ?
I added a couple extra octaves I wasn’t hearing, to fill in a couple middle harmony places but I was trying to find those middle harmonies for sure. I wonder what the true sordino bass would sound like. The exposed bass esp in the opening was pretty difficult to tame while keeping the sub and deep low end big ... I might try Ark 2 low strings for this particular part someday.

Top Bottom