What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

Thanks a lot!
Hm, I see and listen to your rendered files and think that MSB has 3 velocity layers. Also, it seems that velocity doesn't matter in short articulations - you can change volume and timbre only by CC1?

see red comments on the pictures of both BB and MSB - there are 3 crossfaded velocity layers in both cases (IMHO)
Seems like 3 velocity layers to me yeah. I think it's mp, mf, f... Even though it's advertised as ppp-fff. I'm scratching my head over this, and am going to write in and ask about it. So far short articulations seem to be mostly CC but velocity does impact it a bit. Velocity acts as a bit of 20% extra wiggle room within whatever CC you are on. Were you able to make use of the short articulation audio?

A rough draft of a Brahms orchestration. I swapped out Spitfire Symphonic Brass for MSB and I was pretty happy with the results so far (haven't done any sonic tweaking, though still need to work on the mix, etc). IMO, it sits pretty well out of the box with the rest of the Spitfire Symphonic libraries...

Last edited:
it seems that velocity doesn't matter in short articulations - you can change volume and timbre only by CC1?

No, you have three options there - CC, key velocity or 50/50 of each. It's a shame that one patch can't mix and match these - I much prefer key velocity for shorts, and CC for longs - but you can build Longs and Shorts patches that respond in those two different ways with a little time and patience.

One thing that's been little discussed - how have Audiobro made transitions between dynamic layers so good? When CHH did this, they phase-aligned the signals, but that has a detrimental affect on the overall sound, making it sterile. I hear none of that in MSB, but also no chorusing effect you usually get on these solo transitions. All of which is critical of course as the whole paradigm of the library is to make ensembles from solo instruments. What is this witchcraft?!

A rough draft of a Brahms orchestration. I swapped out Spitfire Symphonic Brass for MSB and I was pretty happy with the results so far (haven't done any sonic tweaking, though still need to work on the mix, etc). IMO, it sits pretty well out of the box with the rest of the Spitfire Symphonic libraries...

Very impressive! How far samples have come.

It's a strange thing, I hear moments which are just breathtaking, and then something catches your ear and the illusion goes. In general the high strings feel like the weakest spot. Brass is mostly very good, but a few lower dynamic moments don't feel quite right yet. FWIW the issues there feel more about articulations and CCs than mix to me, the mix sounds pretty darn good.

Very well done, must have been a lot of hard work.

Very impressive! How far samples have come.

It's a strange thing, I hear moments which are just breathtaking, and then something catches your ear and the illusion goes. In general the high strings feel like the weakest spot. Brass is mostly very good, but a few lower dynamic moments don't feel quite right yet. FWIW the issues there feel more about articulations and CCs than mix to me, the mix sounds pretty darn good.

Very well done, must have been a lot of hard work.
Thanks, Guy. Yeah it does still need tweaking!

I really like this! Thanks for sharing :)

It's all gone a bit quiet.

I'm not buying until there are more than two demos. Would also be good to have the closer look videos for trombone/bass trombone and tuba.

For me I've spent the last week or so when I have any spare time getting it into the template. That's been quite a lot of work because I've wanted to separate all the articulations into two different patches for each instrument - longs and shorts. That's all now done and dusted - some phenomenal number of instruments. This is where VE Pro disabled template comes into its own.

On Saturday I used it for my first piece in anger, which I'm afraid I can't yet post publicly as its for a future project. The piece already existed with CineBrass, but I wanted it to sound much more vintage, a kind of 40s / 50s war movie feel, and CB felt too glossy, with the baked in room not sounding to the right period. So I replaced all the brass with MSB, and was delighted with the results.

In a sense, no dramatic revelations as it more or less confirmed what I already knew. The library sounds fantastic, and absolutely avoids the sampled build up of too many players. It is MUCH more precise to work with - I had to adjust the midi a lot simply because CB masked all my atrotious playing, which MSB rather mercilessly exposed, and naturally there were some new key-switching and dynamics to figure out. And of course it was a breeze to add a much shorter reverb tail than I usually use. Swapped out a few more instruments in the piece so there was nothing left of the modern big sound, put it through all the vintage effects and job done.

I also used it on a collab piece yesterday, but it was predominately strings and there was only a couple of brass parts so hardly serves as a showcase. Horns sounded wonderful, but the solo trumpet didn't suit this one as it had to be very mellow and emotive. As I so often do with that requirement, I went right back to the 1.0 Core Solo Trumpet CB patch.

For me I've spent the last week or so when I have any spare time getting it into the template. That's been quite a lot of work because I've wanted to separate all the articulations into two different patches for each instrument - longs and shorts. That's all now done and dusted - some phenomenal number of instruments. This is where VE Pro disabled template comes into its own.

On Saturday I used it for my first piece in anger, which I'm afraid I can't yet post publicly as its for a future project. The piece already existed with CineBrass, but I wanted it to sound much more vintage, a kind of 40s / 50s war movie feel, and CB felt too glossy, with the baked in room not sounding to the right period. So I replaced all the brass with MSB, and was delighted with the results.

In a sense, no dramatic revelations as it more or less confirmed what I already knew. The library sounds fantastic, and absolutely avoids the sampled build up of too many players. It is MUCH more precise to work with - I had to adjust the midi a lot simply because CB masked all my atrotious playing, which MSB rather mercilessly exposed, and naturally there were some new key-switching and dynamics to figure out. And of course it was a breeze to add a much shorter reverb tail than I usually use. Swapped out a few more instruments in the piece so there was nothing left of the modern big sound, put it through all the vintage effects and job done.

I also used it on a collab piece yesterday, but it was predominately strings and there was only a couple of brass parts so hardly serves as a showcase. Horns sounded wonderful, but the solo trumpet didn't suit this one as it had to be very mellow and emotive. As I so often do with that requirement, I went right back to the 1.0 Core Solo Trumpet CB patch.

Surely this wasn't your "first piece in anger"!

I took the plunge and purchased MSB.

It is a beast. Not only are there many instruments, and the inclusion of the "Intuition Series" instruments (which are delightful to play and sound great), but basically every single element/setting is configurable.

I've started working my way through the manual and trying out each feature/function... there is a LOT in here.

I'm providing two quick samples of elements I don't recall being presented thus far.

First, here is a comparison on a trumpets tutti line using different legato speed settings (slow, medium -- this is the default, and fast... in that order):

Second, for fun, here is what it sounds like using trumpet trills while activating the detuning knob. Getting this involves all of two buttons. There aren't just trills (and two types: whole tone and half tone), but different lengths of trills (short, medium, long, and loop). In the brief sample below I believe all are demonstrated except the medium trills). Again, all with detune activated at about 40% strength:

The amount of control and flexibility available is staggering. In short, this is a library that I'll grow into.

Top Bottom