What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

I'm surprised that there's not more discussion about the Intuition patches, those are to me some of the most interesting aspects of the library together with the variable attack on the regular legatos and sustains. They even have breath controller and ROLI presets for the intuition patches which are definitely intriguing.

This is a really sloppy example of intuition stuff together with a CSB tuba and a tiny bit of CSB solo trumpet layered in with an intuition trumpet. A sloppy example as I mentioned, but just to showcase that there's some really cool possibilities in expression in this library.

I'm surprised that there's not more discussion about the Intuition patches, those are to me some of the most interesting aspects of the library together with the variable attack on the regular legatos and sustains. They even have breath controller and ROLI presets for the intuition patches which are definitely intriguing.
[]

Would you mind explaining what the Intuition patches are? I do not (yet) have MSB?
Thanks!

Would you mind explaining what the Intuition patches are? I do not (yet) have MSB?
Thanks!
They're hybrid sample/modeling patches, where - from what I can understand from the manual - the base is the same sample content from the rest of the library, but with "modeled legato, embouchure pressure, and other dimension of realtime performance without delays."

Here's a quick demo of the exact same MIDI file with the 1st Trumpet and the 1st Intuition Trumpet, both Bb:

Edit: Changed dead SoundCloud links to Dropbox.

Last edited:
They're hybrid sample/modeling patches, where - from what I can understand from the manual - the base is the same sample content from the rest of the library, but with "modeled legato, embouchure pressure, and other dimension of realtime performance without delays."
Thank you very much for that effort - truly appreciated. Very interesting; the Intuition Legato transitions sound better to me.

Messed with it a bit, so not a simple drop and bounce. Still coming to terms with the dynamic scaling of MSB. CSB growls a bit more a bit sooner, even with the dynamics curve of MSB set more aggressively.

Not quite sure I'm hearing it, are there specific areas it sounds reverse panned?

Edit: Foiled by the acronyms; you're referring to the first MSB Diddy #2 example I posted? In which case, yes, the panning was changed from a semi-circle seating arrangement to a standard orchestral in-situ position. In hindsight I should have done this with the first example too, but I didn't.

That MSB effort is pretty much as good as the CSB one, except i think the wrong dynamics/articulations are being used at the end of yours (at the sfz/crescendo bit)

That MSB effort is pretty much as good as the CSB one, except i think the wrong dynamics/articulations are being used at the end of yours (at the sfz/crescendo bit)
I didn't mess with the CC data, only how MSB responded to it internally. I imagine the sforzando at the end could be improved by using the actual sfz/cresc articulation, but this was more of a MIDI drop test-case. But the tldr of it is I agree there's a different type of response at the upper end between MSB and CSB.

I didn't mess with the CC data, only how MSB responded to it internally. I imagine the sforzando at the end could be improved by using the actual sfz/cresc articulation, but this was more of a MIDI drop test-case. But the tldr of it is I agree there's a different type of response at the upper end between MSB and CSB.
You can tweak the velocity curve to have the timbre breakup later or earlier.

You can tweak the velocity curve to have the timbre breakup later or earlier.
Correct, which I did push to increase how aggressively MSB was responding to the CC1 data, but even then CSB introduces real bite into the sound much earlier. Personally I find MSB's response more realistic, but a bit less playable without some extra tweaking involved. Though the Intuition patches also bite a bit earlier in the sound as well.

Messed with it a bit, so not a simple drop and bounce. Still coming to terms with the dynamic scaling of MSB. CSB growls a bit more a bit sooner, even with the dynamics curve of MSB set more aggressively.

Not quite sure I'm hearing it, are there specific areas it sounds reverse panned?

Edit: Foiled by the acronyms; you're referring to the first MSB Diddy #2 example I posted? In which case, yes, the panning was changed from a semi-circle seating arrangement to a standard orchestral in-situ position. In hindsight I should have done this with the first example too, but I didn't.

At 0:30 in MSB #2 VSS2/Spaces II, I hear the trumpets coming from the left?

Comparing Noams Example rendered with CSB and MSB I prefer CSB in that example more. On the other Hand Guys examples posted on the soundboard sounded also good. It seems to boil down when the instrument groups sound "together". It seems for me that CSB has a better sense of room and glue so that the instruments sound together, probably because of that CSB was recorded in situ.

Does MSB have more round robins than CSB? Just listening to the fanfare comparison again and i honestly think the MSB trumpets sound more realistic through that repeated short note phrase.

I don’t get to use horns as much as I’d like, but when I do, I like great sound combined with ease of use. I love AudioBro and have full LASS, but I also love Alex Wallbank’s libraries and have a few of those. They’re simpler to use.

Oddly enough, Nathan Furst’s excellent post may have aimed me more at CSB than MSB.

I don’t get to use horns as much as I’d like, but when I do, I like great sound combined with ease of use. I love AudioBro and have full LASS, but I also love Alex Wallbank’s libraries and have a few of those. They’re simpler to use.

Oddly enough, Nathan Furst’s excellent post may have aimed me more at CSB than MSB.
I'm not sure it's possible to make a bad choice with those two. Both are good so choose what will work best for you (which is exactly what you said so I'm going to shut up now).

Momentary diversion......@Duncan Krummel, some of those 'diddy' harmonies are lovely...almost Messiaen like and just the sort I like to find myself ....:whistling:...nice one.

Last edited:
Additionally, Guy offered the insight that "[MSB is] a bit more precise, and while CSB has a beautifully flattering tone MSB more than holds its own, with perhaps a little less aural hype, as it were, a little less artificially big." This seems to be, ignoring workflow and articulations/instruments available, about exactly the right description of these two libraries in comparison. CSB has a warm, open sound that MSB doesn't out of the box have (you could definitely achieve that, however). And CSB still offers a good amount of flexibility in terms of ensemble building, by adding solo patches to the a2/a4 patches. I'm also more convinced by the sound of the repetitions in CSB, but I've also yet to try incorporating some of Guy's advice about the trumpets in particular. The legato is more pronounced in CSB, but you do have control over this in MSB. All in all, I think (I think) CSB will remain my primary back-bone brass library simply due to its integration with the rest of the Cinematic Studio series, its ease of use, and the quality of the sound (as long as the sound fits, as Nathan pointed out). But MSB covers a lot more ground and for any project allowing of more time, why not get mired in the details a bit?

You may be pleasantly surprised to know that the Bass Trombone patch offers the same range as the Tuba (pedal E + an artificial extension down to C). That extension sounds totally natural too, they did a good job of that.
I'd like to pick you up on the idea of matching MSB to CSB. So far, I still prefer the sound of CSB, but given that you have both, how would you go about getting MSB to have that full, roomy sound that CSB has right out of the box? Do you think you'll get there if you spend a bit more time with spacing and reverbs? How is the MSB stage tool? It seemed pretty great in Genesis. I'd love more examples from you regarding the spacing presets that they offer, if possible. Thanks!

Top Bottom