What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

Agreed. Its a lot of money. I need to see far more walkthroughs and videos and hear many more demos before im parting with $599.

I was burnt badly by Synchron Strings, and i'm not letting a company do that to me again.

It still surprises me that more sample companies don't do demos or free trials (ie maybe just some articulations with limited ranges etc).

I agree that they should do more demos, however, Audiobro doesn't have a track record of providing detailed demos and walk through videos. I spent countless hours, weeks, ok actually months trying to decide on LASS because I did not want to part with $1k without being sure. The info provided by Audiobro IMO was too lackluster to make a decision so I turned to user compositions on soundcloud and various user forums to decide. In the end LASS has become my favorite string library and is used constantly. Well worth the $1k I spent, and that was without the sordinos (which I still don't have by the way) that they bundle with it now. All I can say is that the reputation of Audiobro is that you get a lot for your money, and I'm not just speaking of articulations and such but the ability to shape the sound you want and mold the library to your liking. Flexibility seems to be their forte. Of course, there's always a chance a company, even Audiobro, could make a "fail" but based on the more recent user demos and feedback it seems this library is very capable. These types of libs will always sound terrible without understanding how to shape the sound so it will take some learning. If you want out of the box sound, then ProjectSam and others have you covered on that, but if you want versatility, agility, and the ability to mold an instrument to "your" sound then that seems to be Audiobro's Forte. I do not, however, own this library so I'm only speaking from my experience with LASS 2 and feedback from other Audiobro Users of their libraries. I feel your pain though, $600 is a lot to part with but if you weren't happy with Synchron, which I believe is another library that takes a learning curve, then you have to ask yourself if these types of libraries are for you or not. I've accepted the learning curve and have embraced the fact that I want to learn the techniques that these libraries require because I feel in the end they will make me a better composer (at least a better midi composer) but everyone has different needs/wants.

I agree that they should do more demos, however, Audiobro doesn't have a track record of providing detailed demos and walk through videos. I spent countless hours, weeks, ok actually months trying to decide on LASS because I did not want to part with $1k without being sure. The info provided by Audiobro IMO was too lackluster to make a decision so I turned to user compositions on soundcloud and various user forums to decide.

If you thought LASS was lacking, try to find something...anything... out there that shows any of the standard percussion sounds in LADD.

The horns sound fantastic... legatos and shorts, solo and ensemble, muted and unmuted. All of them sound wonderful.

I didn't realise the legatos and all the short articulations were duplicated for mutes and stopped. If the other parts of the library are this good and comprehensive, this is a sure thing for me to get.

In this video they seem to be going out of their way make it clear you don't need to work hard to do this. Possibly in response to the poor user demos?

New “Closer Look at Horns” video is up. Scroll down a bit on webpage:

"In this video we'll take a closer look at the horns in Modern Scoring Brass. We'll look at unmuted, muted, and stopped horns and provide numerous isolated examples so you can hear how they will sound right out-of-the-box."

https://audiobro.com/modern-scoring-brass/

Or YouTube:

I definitely would like to see this type of videos for the trumpets.

New “Closer Look at Horns” video is up. Scroll down a bit on webpage:

"In this video we'll take a closer look at the horns in Modern Scoring Brass. We'll look at unmuted, muted, and stopped horns and provide numerous isolated examples so you can hear how they will sound right out-of-the-box."

https://audiobro.com/modern-scoring-brass/

Or YouTube:

Now i want it again :D

I hope they do one of these for all the sections. That would be really useful (maybe not every instrument but maybe at least a trumpet and trombone one).

its just not that low of a dynamic - brass tone changes dramatically from pp to ff - it's not just a matter of volume. I don't think I need to explain the irony of your user name asking me that.

But to clarify:

you can reduce the volume of a horn playing at fortissimo all you want, it'll never sound like pianissimo

you can increase the volume of a horn playing at pianissimo all you want, it'll never sound like fortissimo

CSB has absolutely stunning crossfades of the higher dynamics - but very little ACTUAL low dynamics to work with, sounds dull and low volume - rather than golden and mellow.
Touché sir. Very good. Thanks for clarifying. I took it to mean that ppp was at 30-40, but now I understand, the lowest layer just isn’t there. Cheers.

Nigel : You’re on 30 on your CC1, where can you go from there? Where?
Marty: I don’t know.
Nigel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty: Put it down to zero.
Nigel: Zero. Exactly. Even softer.
Marty: Why don’t you just make 30 louder and make 0 be the smallest value and make that a little softer?
Nigel: (pause) These go to 30.
I’ve only been here a few months, but this makes me feel very integrated, so thanks. Turns out I was confused whether they had recorded the softest layer of dynamics or not in addition to an extra fade out, but you know what, I’ll just let the username irony stand this time haha. Cheers!

I’ve only been here a few months, but this makes me feel very integrated, so thanks. Turns out I was confused whether they had recorded the softest layer of dynamics or not in addition to an extra fade out, but you know what, I’ll just let the username irony stand this time haha. Cheers!

Ahah, please don't take this the wrong way, it's just your username made the whole thing very funny :) Cheers !

Having heard the horn walkthrough I took the plunge this morning. Downloaded the entire 160gb library hassle-free in under 2 hours.

I'm pretty gobsmacked. The range and depth is phenomenal, and the tone almost entirely throughout sounds gorgeous. I think the one thing I didn't like in the demos was the trumpets when played divisi at high dynamics, for me this is where that metallic thing comes in, or perhaps a better description is too flat. I find adding vibrato pretty much does the trick to just get some movement going in there and get rid of that oddly sterile tone. For me it doesn't seem to apply to the other instruments (and the vibrato, by the way, works FAR better than I feared it would).

I've posted about a dozen short audio clips of some first impressions of the different instruments over on The Sound Board, playing the legato / longs patches. In time I'll do a proper video walkthrough or two which I'll post here, but I'll leave that til I've properly got my head round all the options. It's a busy few weeks so bear with me!

But in short... I've grown an extra arm just to give this three thumbs up. Can't believe its only $599, bargain of the year IMO.

Having heard the horn walkthrough I took the plunge this morning. Downloaded the entire 160gb library hassle-free in under 2 hours.

I'm pretty gobsmacked. The range and depth is phenomenal, and the tone almost entirely throughout sounds gorgeous. I think the one thing I didn't like in the demos was the trumpets when played divisi at high dynamics, for me this is where that metallic thing comes in, or perhaps a better description is too flat. I find adding vibrato pretty much does the trick to just get some movement going in there and get rid of that oddly sterile tone. For me it doesn't seem to apply to the other instruments (and the vibrato, by the way, works FAR better than I feared it would).

I've posted about a dozen short audio clips of some first impressions of the different instruments over on The Sound Board, playing the legato / longs patches. In time I'll do a proper video walkthrough or two which I'll post here, but I'll leave that til I've properly got my head round all the options. It's a busy few weeks so bear with me!

But in short... I've grown an extra arm just to give this three thumbs up. Can't believe its only $599, bargain of the year IMO.

Well that's encouraging. I have just listened to your demos on The Sound Board and it does sound good.

Top Bottom