What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

I downloaded two days ago. I have a somewhat unique workflow (working in Finale to send MIDI data into Cubase running simultaneously), so "playability" via keyboard is not really something I have assessed. I don't have a demo but I have been trying to work it into an existing orchestral piece and here are my initial thoughts:

The "Full Mix" works quite well in the context of my previously all-Spitfire Symphonic template. Without any tweaks of reverb, placement or volume, it sounds quite integrated with SS Winds and Strings, but with a lot more power and presence than the SS Brass (this is exactly what I was looking for).

Extended ranges, preprogrammed crescendos (including Sfz-Cresc) and variable trill speeds are also super helpful (your mileage may vary).

I am having trouble getting the shorts to articulate correctly, though this may just be the learning curve (usually this is the hardest thing to get to sound realistic)

I wish there were more explanation of the Divisi concept. There are two Horn sets ("Horns1" (includes solo Horns 1 and 3) and "Horns2" (solo Horns 2 and 4)). But each of these two sets also includes extra horn pairs (Horns 5+6 and Horns 7+8, in "Horns 1" and "Horns 2" both). In each of these sets, you can select "Duet", "Trio", or "Quartet", but in practice what are the "Trio" and "Quartet" settings actually doing if they are pulling in *pairs* of horns? Is "Trio" actually two solo horns (1/3) + a pair (5/6) = 4 horns?, is "Quartet" actually two solo horns (1/3) + two pairs (5/6/7/8) = 6 horns? If you set it up as a "Trio" and play a triad, are you actually getting solos on two notes and a pair of horns on the third? The nomenclature is confusing, so I will need to spend some more time on this.

Nigel : You’re on 30 on your CC1, where can you go from there? Where?
Marty: I don’t know.
Nigel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty: Put it down to zero.
Nigel: Zero. Exactly. Even softer.
Marty: Why don’t you just make 30 louder and make 0 be the smallest value and make that a little softer?
Nigel: (pause) These go to 30.

Last edited:
I downloaded two days ago. I have a somewhat unique workflow (working in Finale to send MIDI data into Cubase running simultaneously), so "playability" via keyboard is not really something I have assessed. I don't have a demo but I have been trying to work it into an existing orchestral piece and here are my initial thoughts:

The "Full Mix" works quite well in the context of my previously all-Spitfire Symphonic template. Without any tweaks of reverb, placement or volume, it sounds quite integrated with SS Winds and Strings, but with a lot more power and presence than the SS Brass (this is exactly what I was looking for).

Extended ranges, preprogrammed crescendos (including Sfz-Cresc) and variable trill speeds are also super helpful (your mileage may vary).

I am having trouble getting the shorts to articulate correctly, though this may just be the learning curve (usually this is the hardest thing to get to sound realistic)

I wish there were more explanation of the Divisi concept. There are two Horn sets ("Horns1" (includes solo Horns 1 and 3) and "Horns2" (solo Horns 2 and 4)). But each of these two sets also includes extra horn pairs (Horns 5+6 and Horns 7+8, in "Horns 1" and "Horns 2" both). In each of these sets, you can select "Duet", "Trio", or "Quartet", but in practice what are the "Trio" and "Quartet" settings actually doing if they are pulling in *pairs* of horns? Is "Trio" actually two solo horns (1/3) + a pair (5/6) = 4 horns?, is "Quartet" actually two solo horns (1/3) + two pairs (5/6/7/8) = 6 horns? If you set it up as a "Trio" and play a triad, are you actually getting solos on two notes and a pair of horns on the third? The nomenclature is confusing, so I will need to spend some more time on this.
The engine labels the different arrangements of patches. If you select trio you get 3 of the patches, duet 2 of them, and so on. Those patches are 2 horns each but they are in effect each one instrument.

Nigel : You’re on 30 on your CC1, where can you go from there? Where?
Marty: I don’t know.
Nigel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty: Put it down to zero.
Nigel: Zero. Exactly. Even softer.
Marty: Why don’t you just make 30 softer and make 0 be the smallest value and make that a little softer?
Nigel: (pause) These go to 30.
I mean, at first I thought they made the account just to post that - but I realized they had likes/previous posts hahaha. Was half awake and was thinking "but these go to 11"

then my eyes opened a little more and I'm like...…………. there is NO way that is the user name.

The engine labels the different arrangements of patches. If you select trio you get 3 of the patches, duet 2 of them, and so on. Those patches are 2 horns each but they are in effect each one instrument.
What do you mean by "in effect"? Is it actually playing one horn on the third note? Then why not just list out Horns 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and let you choose the size of the ensemble?

What do you mean by "in effect"? Is it actually playing one horn on the third note? Then why not just list out Horns 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and let you choose the size of the ensemble?

From what it looks like in the video - I see your issue.

if you have Horn 1 loaded, its 1 + 1 + 2a.

so if you play 3 notes, "2 horns" are playing one of the notes.

There are specific rules on how create your own divisi behavior I think - based on what I read peeking at the manual.

This is one thing I've been trying to figure out. Can you address each of the horns individually, and so give a solo, say, to Horn 4, or is it set up so horn 4 only sounds if horn 2 is also playing? And is the manual available without buying the library? I looked for it on the MSB page but didn't see a link.

I would be very surprised if a decent Star Wars mock up could not be done with based on "Reaching The Summit" demo.

The trumpets sound fantastic in the opening for that.

I don't want to seem too harsh. I'm mostly excited to dig in because I still am confident that there is a lot under the surface of this library. Hope I can figure out what's causing the stuttering because then I can experiment more quickly. There's definitely some great content in there and I have a demo I'm going to make tomorrow that should show off the strengths of this library really well. Most of the stuff I said above was just my frustrated in the moment ranting after a long day but when I come back with a clear mind tomorrow afternoon I bet I'll be a lot more positive and patient.
Have you tried disabling NKS support? Look in the folder called "No NKS Resource Container".

The Readme says:
This has the affect of improving performance and eliminating occasional stuttering for Logic X users.

Not too sure what DAW you have or if you need to have NKS support enabled. Might be worth a try to see if it helps.

I’m sick of the demo dance too. It’s almost like we should all throw re-peat or rob or some mockup monster a few $€£ so they can buy libraries and do a few mockups.

That said, I’m pretty sure that Audiobro, given their reputation with LASS, has made a solid and malleable library. If users know how to use it...another story... I’m not prepared to dismiss it on the basis of three demos. Not by a long shot.

From those few demos i've heard so far, my impression is that this library is probably fantastic.
But it's a library that obviously can sound horrible in the wrong hands.
Audiobro really should keep an eye on good demos coming...

This is one thing I've been trying to figure out. Can you address each of the horns individually, and so give a solo, say, to Horn 4, or is it set up so horn 4 only sounds if horn 2 is also playing? And is the manual available without buying the library? I looked for it on the MSB page but didn't see a link.

The Intuition series is all solo instruments. For the "sets" you can set Auto Divisi to "Per Voice" which will make single voice lines played by one instrument or "Tutti" which makes single voices played by all activated instruments in the set.

Not sure why they are not making the manual available. It explicitly states that you can't post it anywhere.

The Intuition series is all solo instruments. For the "sets" you can set Auto Divisi to "Per Voice" which will make single voice lines played by one instrument or "Tutti" which makes single voices played by all activated instruments in the set.

Not sure why they are not making the manual available. It explicitly states that you can't post it anywhere.
manual is in documentation folder

Audiobro is certainly making it most difficult to learn much about the library without sending them $600. One perfunctory walkthrough and two demos, no access to the manual. The sound of the library in capable hands seems fine, but only fine. I can say that for me there is not nearly enough information about the library yet to warrant a purchase.

Agreed. Its a lot of money. I need to see far more walkthroughs and videos and hear many more demos before im parting with $599.

I was burnt badly by Synchron Strings, and i'm not letting a company do that to me again.

It still surprises me that more sample companies don't do demos or free trials (ie maybe just some articulations with limited ranges etc).

Here's a couple renditions of the euphonium solo from Holst's second suite in F. It's better than the others I've posted so far as I think this library has a lot of potential for controlling the very minute details of short notes as is asked of the brass in this excerpt. There's one which is completely dry and one which has some spaces II on it.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/holst_suite_2-mp3.19594/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/holst_suite_2_dry-mp3.19595/][/AUDIOPLUS]

This displays some quite impressive legato i have to say.

Top Bottom