What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

Close mics sound a bit thin but I would be using them only to bring more bite to the sound when needed.

Yes but that's what real horns sound like close miked, I think. I know that I have a lot to learn about mic placement, but every time I've done it this is basically what it sounds like. I've heard that, to get a puffier sound, an old trick is to play into walls and mic that.

There is no way I can resist this library, especially at that price. I'm a LASS fan and I know that this is going to be useful. Intrigued also with the Intuition patches. I don't care that they're not strictly realistic. I love any new way to get player expression in real time onto a track.

Yes but that's what real horns sound like close miked, I think. I know that I have a lot to learn about mic placement, but every time I've done it this is basically what it sounds like. I've heard that, to get a puffier sound, an old trick is to play into walls and mic that.

There is no way I can resist this library, especially at that price. I'm a LASS fan and I know that this is going to be useful. Intrigued also with the Intuition patches. I don't care that they're not strictly realistic. I love any new way to get player expression in real time onto a track.
Yes, I agree. Always when I use close microphones for brass instruments in live situations they sound nasal and thin. Especially when the brass players bring their own clip on mics. If it's not a small and loud stage, I like to add a pair of condenser microphones to get the overall sound of the ensemble as well.

Hmmm. I'm not really digging the tone or shape of the trumpets. The Mahler example for me works against the library as I'm very familiar with that piece and I think it sounds artificial. Something in the tone and attack/release of the samples and room just does not sound right to my ears...

Bummer. I was looking forward to this library.

The concept and functionality are simply amazing. For the way I work having recorded every player individually is a huge advantage over just a soloist and a2 samples. With the latter you are in all sorts of trouble if you want to score a choral with four independent horn parts, for example. For me Modern Scoring Brass has the concept got right.
Unfortunately I am not too happy with the sound personally.

For example, compare these shorts articulation sounds:

The Modern Scoring Brass example does not sound good to my ears. It simply doesn't. True, you could use eq and reverb to mask it (and for that example you would definitely add some reverb in a real usage situation. It's actually great that Andrew didn't to show the sound of the library). But if you don't happen to like the source sound (which is the case for me here), there is only so much you can do. You can't transform it into something else entirely. It's interesting how different these two sound, given that both used a scoring studio as recording location. Cinematic Studio Brass sounds much more refined and full here out of the box.

Another thing I didn't like too much from the walkthrough video: in my opinion the timbre changes very little throughout the dynamic layers. The crossfade is very good, there is no phasing I could hear. But the tone of the instruments changes too little for my taste. Brass instruments are capable of a great variety of timbres. And I didn't hear that captured in the walkthrough. For example here:

cc1 moves through the entire dynamic range of the horns. I actually do like the sound of the horns here. But the timbre sounds quite unfiorm to me until it reaches fortissimo. Also from the video it seems that the library has only three dynamic layers (p, mf, ff), which is not much for brass, especially since the top layer has the distinct brassy timbre.

While I do like the concept very much, I am not digging the sound from what I have heard so far. Let's see if that changes when a more in-depth look at the various articulations of each instrument is available.

Totally agree on all points.

Reactions: muk
So those of you how have the library, how does the sizzle slider, detune and different attacks affect the sound? I read somehow that somebody said that the different attacks may have a big impact on the sounds? Can anbody post a few fanfarish examples? (with sizzle, detune and different usage of attacks)..? Would be great..thanks.

Last edited:
All three mics loaded into the Trumpets patch uses 6.08 gb of ram, and for the Horns 1 patch uses 5.85 gb.
Yow, my entire brass section for BB is only 5.29 gb although, I'm only using decca mics! Do you know what the load is when only using the tree?

Come in people (and Audiobro). We need some more demos :D
yes, agreed. But it’s a complex library and the way folks have been assessing the demos here I imagine those with the library are being cautious and are not keen to post less than stellar demos until they are sure any problem is with the library and not with their programming of it.

I'd be up for real basics, not full mockups - going through dynamic layers, building up ensembles, hearing the vibrato, a few humanising settings, legato scales, boring techy stuff. I'd lap it up, if it were done with a modicum of care.

There does still feel a real vacuum in material to base a solid decision on. Very grateful for those who have posted anything.

I'd be up for real basics, not full mockups - going through dynamic layers, building up ensembles, hearing the vibrato, a few humanising settings, legato scales, boring techy stuff. I'd lap it up, if it were done with a modicum of care.

There does still feel a real vacuum in material to base a solid decision on. Very grateful for those who have posted anything.
We badly need a walkthrough by you. I enjoyed your Project Sam videos a lot.

I'm having trouble getting that "Woooaaaah" reaction from this library... but I really want to.
I still get goosebumpy when I listen to the CSB demos.
I'm wondering if maybe I'm just biased, because I basically crapped my pants when I first heard CSB.
I think the demos are just not doing the library justice. I would love to hear some more nuanced performances out of this library and maybe get that star-struck feeling.
With that crazy amount of content, I feel like I should be foaming at the mouth! Something about the sound just isn't doing it... :confused:

I'm having trouble getting that "Woooaaaah" reaction from this library... but I really want to.
I still get goosebumpy when I listen to the CSB demos.
Same here. I really like the features like the attack control, auto divisi, flexible ensembles and the choice of instruments, but while the sound seems solid to me, it's nothing special so far.
Also, I haven't heard much of the low dynamics, but I got the impression that it doesn't go very low and soft in the dynamics as others like CSB or BB do quite well and I'm always hoping for that in new libraries. So, I'm looking forward to more demos that show more of the range and capabilities of MSB.

It is odd that they have this mammoth , expensive library which has been hugely anticipated and yet they have only managed two fairly similar demos and one short walk through video.

this library look like doesn't have any surprise ,no one tell us what is going on ..from last night a lot of people waiting for short video how it sound and how it work , I am so confused and sad..

Top Bottom