What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

jneebz

If you want brass for epic, then I would look at Forzo.
This was my take on this library, and honestly, it really doesn’t have powerful upper dynamics. There are a couple low patches that bite, but IMO it falls way more on the “useful for sound design” side. Actually my one Heavyocity Library that I regret buying.

TeamLeader

If you want that instant blare sound, it's not the right library in my opinion.
Modern Scoring Brass shines when you write an arrangement that would also work when played by a real brass section.
But i wouldn't see it as a replacement for those typical Trailer-Braahm-Sounds.
Hey there Fossil. Thanks to you and to all others for your good input. Appreciated. We do indeed write arrangements as per real brass sections. So that is sort of a non issue. Just need something that can do fast bold symphonic stuff. (not meaning epic though - I guess I shouldn't have used the confusing term over the top. We don't do heavy trailers or Hans type stuff - which i enjoy, just not our sphere) I suppose am talking about, and more concerned about, the phrase shaping.

purple

Hey there Fossil. Thanks to you and to all others for your good input. Appreciated. We do indeed write arrangements as per real brass sections. So that is sort of a non issue. Just need something that can do fast bold symphonic stuff. (not meaning epic though - I guess I shouldn't have used the confusing term over the top. We don't do heavy trailers or Hans type stuff - which i enjoy, just not our sphere) I suppose am talking about, and more concerned about, the phrase shaping.
I don't think this library can even handle the nuances of pretty standard symphonic repertoire either. It's not good for epic, but it also isn't delicate or nuanced enough to actually capture the sort of energy that is expected out of the typical orchestral brass section.

Eptesicus

I don't think this library can even handle the nuances of pretty standard symphonic repertoire either. It's not good for epic, but it also isn't delicate or nuanced enough to actually capture the sort of energy that is expected out of the typical orchestral brass section.
Are you talking about MSB or Forzo at this point?

purple

Wow you really seem to hate it. From what i have heard in this thread and from the two demos, it would appear to be able to everything other libraries can do and sound convincing whilst doing it.
I don't really agree but I guess it's all subjective. I wouldn't be as bothered if its retail price isn't going to be the same as berlin brass. I mean if I started by library collection all over I'd get a lot more mileage out of buying hollywood brass, CSB, and something else like one of the BB expansions or something considering just how expensive the library is!

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Just wondering now that this has been out for a while, and perhaps people have really had time to use it and learn it, what people’s thoughts are on it?

Zedcars

Klaatu barada nikto
In order for the bad reviews to be correct, the good reviews would have to be “incorrect” which would come as news to those who really like the library. There is no correct or incorrect
Sorry to be picky, but that's not quite right is it. It's perfectly possible for a good review and a bad review to be true if they are talking about different specific areas of the product. I do see where you are coming from though in that there is a certain amount of subjectivity in reviews, which is why it is good to get opinions from as many reliable sources as possible (not always easy when a product is new).

jaketanner

I don't really agree but I guess it's all subjective. I wouldn't be as bothered if its retail price isn't going to be the same as berlin brass. I mean if I started by library collection all over I'd get a lot more mileage out of buying hollywood brass, CSB, and something else like one of the BB expansions or something considering just how expensive the library is!
Century brass bundle is fantastic. And it’s like half off during BF or one of 8dios insane flash sales. Lol

TomaeusD

In Space
I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but how is the detune knob? Can you play divisi and then mess with the knob for a sort of aleatoric effect much like Genesis? I suppose it won't work like I'm imagining because of how ensembles are set up.

prodigalson

Sorry to be picky, but that's not quite right is it. It's perfectly possible for a good review and a bad review to be true if they are talking about different specific areas of the product. I do see where you are coming from though in that there is a certain amount of subjectivity in reviews, which is why it is good to get opinions from as many reliable sources as possible (not always easy when a product is new).
Sure, if someone asserts that a product doesn't have a feature that it objectively actually does have, then that would be "incorrect" but thats not what we're talking about here. The "bad reviews" mentioned in the post I was commenting on were very generally about sonics and generally the negative responses to the library are not about objective features. I maintain that a general "bad" review of anything can't be "correct" or "incorrect"

purple

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but how is the detune knob? Can you play divisi and then mess with the knob for a sort of aleatoric effect much like Genesis? I suppose it won't work like I'm imagining because of how ensembles are set up.
You can manually set the random tuning bias of each instrument individually if you're using the patch as an ensemble. You can also change how much the instrument can randomly deviate from that tuning. I'm not at my workstation at the moment so I couldn't tell you whether it is controllable with CC, but if it's anything like the rest of the plugin it can probably be assigned to CC control as well. You can also just use independent patches I suppose if all else fails.

ProfoundSilence

ofcourse its controllable by CC

if you use the ensemble you can set the detuned range per instrument and the detuned knob will move each instrument to its detuned range.

I hadn't attempted to make anything aleatoric, but the knob works exactly how you think it does.

Zedcars

Klaatu barada nikto
I was struggling to get a full force fff sound with MSB (since it only goes to ff). I managed a kind of pseudo-fff by going marcato in places, accents in others, using the sustains rather than the legatos which seems to soften subsequent notes, using the Sizzle control set at 3 o’clock, and using shorts where possible to get more attack. I must state that I am very much inexperienced with this library so I’m sure there are things that I’m doing wrong or could do way better.

As an example of loud brass with MSB, you can hear it in the last 43 seconds of this piece (I’m not happy with the poor bit rate of Soundcloud and I’m planning on moving away from them soon):

I layered some ‘bones from SSB, SSS, VSL Synchron Steinway, VSL Synchron timp and EWQL SC.

P.S. I will try and post a MSB only version once I get back into the studio.

Last edited:

Robert_G

It really is just an expensive hobby for me
So now that its been out for awhile, what do owners really think of it compared to other offerings?

There was previously lots of difference of opinion.

Living Fossil

So now that its been out for awhile, what do owners really think of it compared to other offerings?
I really like it, however, there's one thing to consider:
There are libraries that are very "forgiving"; they will still sound big, even if the orchestration of the instruments isn't that great.
Of course, that's specially the case with sampled ensembles, however, there are also libraries that offer sounds that one wouldn't achieve in real life. (e.g. blowing for a long time ffff in the high register etc.)

In this regard, MSB is a bit a tough one: A good arrangement, edited with care, will sound great.
However, a not-so-good arrangement will rather not sound good.
So, it's not an instant gratification library. It will shine when the brass section is handled with knowledge, but it's definitely not the library that sounds epic out of the box.

Last edited:
Top Bottom