Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by zolhof, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I too love the EWI, but I have the older EWI 3020/m. Unlike the EWI 1000, it has a vent to let excess breath through, although I too let air out the sides of my mouth at times.

However, you can adjust the breath sensitivity so high that you have to blow so hard your salivary glands hurt! I don't, being a recorder player (and not being a masochist), but you should be able to set it however you feel comfortable.

At least you can do that on the 3020/m.

As an aside, I had an EWI 4000S and decided I like the 3020/m better. It requires a big rack unit, but with rare exceptions I only play it in my studio, and I like that the Sensitivity and Adjustment knobs are big and easy to see (rather than the tiny black-on-black ones on the 4000S).

Plus I like the synth better.

As an aside aside, can you use that Yamaha contraption on any USB MIDI output?

2. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Actually, I don't think you can really get a feel for any library without fondling it, but Andrew does have a video walkthrough up there.

3. kevthurman

kevthurman Active Member

Dec 18, 2018
    This one is a bit better than the last as well.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    zolhof

zolhof Active Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Silent Hill
    David, thank you for your thoughtful response. :)

5. tack

tack Damned Dirty Ape

Aug 3, 2013
    The MSB example of Star Wars was horrifying (with apologies to the well-intentioned creator of that example for the strong language). And I'm afraid as much as Noam praised the CSB version, I found myself cringing throughout.

Lest we forget Sample Modeling could do this 7 years ago:

Granted, we don't know how much time and effort was put into each and the skill level of those involved (Sami behind this video is undoubtedly a programming master). But on the face of it, given what we have to work with, I'm left somewhat demoralized about the state of our brass libraries relative to where we were almost a decade ago.

ag75, ionian, hsindermann and 7 others like this.
  6. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    The technical side of the library—the stuttering, the large RAM footprint, the difficulty some seem to be having in controlling it—seems more worrisome to me than the sound. A good sound can be got from the library, though how difficult it is to draw a good sound from it remains unclear to me. I'm really hoping for more walkthroughs to be able to assess better the library's functionality and workflow.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    whiskers, sostenuto and kevthurman like this.
  7. dgburns

dgburns splunge

Nov 4, 2012
    The horns in MSB have something to them I rather like.

sinkd and kevthurman like this.
  8. Duncan Krummel

Duncan Krummel New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Allston, MA
    Thanks! The demo was just something I fiddled with when I first purchased CSB. Wasn't meant to be anything more than those 40 seconds. So to that point, I'd be happy to share the MIDI:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s00sdd2atux7w76/MSB Demo Chorale.mid?dl=0

Used individual tracks. I was working on a short fanfare for @sekkosiki, but I'm struggling a bit with it tonight. Need more sleep, me thinks. But for this I was experimenting with combined patches and the auto-divisi. I can see how this would be extremely helpful when writing in the context of a larger orchestra or when you just need brass to be brass, but to be honest - when writing exposed - it just makes so much more sense to me to plan it out per-instrument.

Arviwan, whitewasteland and wbacer like this.
  9. I like music

I like music Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Wonderful! Thank you so much. So that I understand the tracks correctly, how many of each instrument did you use? Don't think I could find the info in the MIDI. Going to try to remock it with IB if that'd be OK with you!

Thanks!

10. sinkd

sinkd Senior Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Western North Carolina
    Thanks for the clarification (of my confused reading) of your post. I am just diving in to MSB myself, but my initial impressions are all very good.

Duncan Krummel likes this.
  11. Duncan Krummel

Duncan Krummel New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Allston, MA
    Should be just 5 tracks, yes? Trumpet 1, trumpet 2, horn, trombone, tuba.

12. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    That excerpt was very good! I always thought sample modeling was best used with a breath controller...hence why I never got into it..I prefer straight up mod wheel. But the sound is great. I mean, even the demos on East West's site for their Hollywood orchestra sound pretty good...but as another mentioned, it's not real-world examples of how a working composer uses the libraries...those demos have countless hours behind them...I think we all want libraries that work well out of the box, with minimal fussing.

reimerpdx likes this.
  13. I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    Sorry, my mistake. There were 20 tracks but I realise that its just those 5 tracks duplicated somehow. Perfect.

Wonderful piece. You should write some more ;)

14. Vadium

Vadium Member

Jul 21, 2017
    So, MSB example sounds exactly as "wear someone else's shoes". I hope that MSB can much more if create an example with MSB from scratch.

ProfoundSilence likes this.
  15. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    I should hope, CSB has niente - and to my knowledge - MSB is NOT. So right out the gate, that makes the entire dynamic curve and midi programming different.

16. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    That composition is far too beautiful to just be left as a forty second fiddling, even if that's how it began, it is gorgeous and could be expanded out to a longer composition.

Also it has completely changed my perception of MSB. Audiobro really should seek to use it as one of their demo tracks.

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  17. I like music

Oct 26, 2015
    I made the same suggestion. I'd be keen on hearing that music expanded a few more minutes for sure!

Lode_Runner likes this.
  18. FriFlo

FriFlo Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    And be aware that while niente is certainly ok to use for strings and some of the woodwinds (I still prefer a combo of dynamics via CC1 and additional loudness via CC11, though), but it is absolutely wrong to use on brass and double reeds. It will not yield realistic sound and you should not use it if you care for that kind of stuff. Brass simply does not fade to silence ... :)

19. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    It's the sole reason I don't use CSS(and the reason despite how well made it is I don't want CSB)
    Strings you could argue could **almost** go to niente…. but with CSB it looks like the most "bottom dynamic" is really like 30-40 cc1, and the rest is just fading out.

Silky smooth transitions - but that alone makes me not even use CSS.

Go To 11 likes this.
  20. Go To 11

Go To 11 Member

Dec 11, 2018
    That's really good to know. Why not just make 30 your minimum then and use it like that to get realistic results?