Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by zolhof, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    ...and thank you for doing so, Duncan, this is MUCH more like it. I liked both, the overall difference is that to my ears MSB edges it for realism. It's a bit more precise, and while CSB has a beautifully flattering tone MSB more than holds its own, with perhaps a little less aural hype, as it were, a little less artificially big.

I think the settings you used sound spot on, and this is the first vibrato I've noticed - sounds much better than I was expecting in context, given its an effect.

2. Duncan Krummel

Duncan Krummel New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Allston, MA
    I agree, though of course the benefit with CSB here is also that this was originally played in with CSB, so the nuances of reacting while you're writing the line is more intuitive there. What I particularly like about CSB, oddly enough, is what I also particularly like about MSB: CSB has a bit more room and fuzz in it, which make soft chorales like this sound more realistic. MSB, on the other hand, is extremely clean. This makes it extremely flexible, but a little harder to make convincing sometimes when exposed.

Thank you! I truly find MSB very playable, but it requires more CC writing to control each parameter of the sound, whereas CSB is straight-out-of-the-box gorgeous. Just my style, but I find the slider control for attack less intuitive than velocity, and the dynamics CC velocity-scaled less controllable than simple CC. But to each their own. There are a number of controls for tuning, so I am hoping there's flexibility to reduce the precision as well, create a bit more strain.

chocobitz825 and marclawsonmusic like this.
  3. marclawsonmusic

marclawsonmusic Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    Great demo, Duncan! Sounds very nice.

4. sinkd

sinkd Senior Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Western North Carolina
    You, um... what? I don't think this is how MSB is intended to be used. I also am wary of demos performed/programmed with other libraries being run through a new one--- These instruments need to be performed and it takes time to learn to play a new library.

Downloading MSB now, myself.

5. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Nevertheless, it is by far the best user demo for MSB out there that I've come across, and IMO its the results that count. Think its an excellent adaptation, actually all the more impressive for being written for a different library.

6. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    :faint:

The trumpet could even be down a little further in dynamics, it sounds like it's right at 127 whereas in the real life recording it's more in balance with the horns/trombones. But wow, this is REALLY close to the vibe of the real life recording to my ears. Aggressive and adventurous!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Casiquire and lucor like this.
  7. TimCox

TimCox Active Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Oh well see just when I'm disappointed and wanting to pass on MSB you go and do this!

8. Mucusman

Mucusman Enthusiastic hobbyist

Feb 28, 2016
    Colorado
    Actually, it appears that he was talking about what he did with Cinematic Studio Brass in this instance.

Lode_Runner and sinkd like this.
  9. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    @Duncan Krummel really nice on both demos. With MSB I hear the same thing as with Berlin Brass - the true divisi really does make a difference because you can feel that it's several unique instruments and musicians. Unfortunately I don't really use BB much anymore because it's just not consistent enough in dynamics & programming. When the brass are heard in the orchestral context, it matters more that they have an overall great tone & sense of musicality and I think CSB is really top of its class for that. But for any kind of exposed brass writing like this chorale, I think I prefer MSB to the CSB demo.

10. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Maybe verb or EQ but the mix sounds a little muddy on MSB to me....

11. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Hej man,

great job and very well done. First demo I really dig I have to say. I like both versions. Tbh in that example I even prefer MSB over CSB.

zolhof and jononotbono like this.
  12. Phillip996

Phillip996 New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Dry libraries tend to need more mixing to make them sound good. Also, Cinematic studio products is known for its out of the box ready sound.

13. germancomponist

germancomponist Senior Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Germany
    For me, I handle orchestra sample libraries like I handle real musicians. In short: I have to tickle the skills out of real musicians. The same I have to do with sample libraries.

My ears told me that MSB is also a great brass library like other good brass libraries.
    Congrats to the makers of this lib!

chocobitz825 and Phillip996 like this.
  14. kevthurman

kevthurman Active Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Here's a couple renditions of the euphonium solo from Holst's second suite in F. It's better than the others I've posted so far as I think this library has a lot of potential for controlling the very minute details of short notes as is asked of the brass in this excerpt. There's one which is completely dry and one which has some spaces II on it.

Attached Files:

15. richard kurek

richard kurek Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    i agree , i hear more emotion

16. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Have you managed to solve the stuttering problem you mentioned upthread?

Go To 11 likes this.
  17. Noeticus

Noeticus Motion Picture Producer

Apr 21, 2019

Hello Patrick,

Can you say what was not to your liking and what their advice was?

18. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    Wow, this is what I wanted to hear. One of the first demos I really like, and actually prefer MSB for this kind of choral brass writing. If you have time Duncan, could you do a short and fast fanfare with both shorts and longs with MSB?

19. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Then don't buy it!

To me that's a killer demo, but what do I know - I'm just a brilliant person with impeccable taste.

20. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm repeating myself, but... if this isn't a professional demo, I don't know what is. It's *exactly* scoring- SCORING BRASS:

https://audiobro.com/modern-scoring-brass/

Wanker Star Wars sequence pasted in without being adjusted to any library is going to sound like wanker Star Wars sequence with any library.

Saxer, sinkd, laurikoivisto and 9 others like this.