Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by zolhof, Nov 20, 2018.

1. nawzadhaji

nawzadhaji Member

Feb 12, 2017
    this library look like doesn't have any surprise ,no one tell us what is going on ..from last night a lot of people waiting for short video how it sound and how it work , I am so confused and sad..

2. richard kurek

richard kurek Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    they showed surprises on product page

3. erica-grace

erica-grace Senior Member

Sep 7, 2015
    What we really need is a 7-hour Daniel James walkthrough!

4. Hanu_H

Hanu_H Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    That is just way too long for me, I have never got through any of the Daniel James's marathons. But more the merrier!

5. Phillip996

Phillip996 New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Bought and as usual download managers suck. My installation got stuck, and now I can't resume my download without requesting a reinstall through mail. Absolutely ridiculous.

Update: Posted on their forum, and got a really quick reply. I can now retry the download. :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    the HZS one was actually hilarious. I'm sure he was upset because he spent quite a few quid on it - but was still funny(and he can probably look back and laugh)

7. jneebz

jneebz Senior Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Portland OR, USA
    Yeah for some reason, feels like they really rushed it....Spitfire does a great job (save the latest Ambient Guitar release) of providing all you need on release day. Oh well...I still love the tones I’ve heard and am hoping for new videos and demos soon.

8. Noeticus

Noeticus Motion Picture Producer

Apr 21, 2019
    So.... Yes, of course I had to buy it. Took about 70 minutes to download the full 160 GB on my fast Comcast setup.

When I add the Notre-Dame Cathedral IR from Audioease Altiverb to any solo instrument set to close-mic it sounds AWESOME! This is a must buy library if you love symphonic brass.

Did I mention I was impressed.

SoNowWhat? and Van like this.
  9. Noeticus

Noeticus Motion Picture Producer

Apr 21, 2019
    This may be of interest...

10. Mucusman

Mucusman Enthusiastic hobbyist

Feb 28, 2016
    Colorado
    I found that on YouTube after it was posted, but it sounds like a cut and paste job, replacing some other library with MSB. This is why I’m fine waiting a bit for demos that reflect the user taking some time to know their way around a new tool.

11. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    That's not the best rendition of the Star Wars Fanfare I've heard.

12. Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Understatement.

ionian, brenneisen and markleake like this.
  13. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    That is the biggest understatement on VI Control I've read.

ionian likes this.
  14. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    For me, brass is all about DYNAMISM!

The Strings are the bread and butter of the orchestra,

the Winds are there to be colorful and create timbral variety (which is a major reason why the rise of synths has corresponded to the decline of woodwinds but that's another can of worms),

the Percussion is there to create accents and grooves,

and the Brass is there to PUSH AIR and make you go wow.

The brass can create more dynamic contrast than any string or woodwind instrument. That's their reason for existing. So brass libaries need a wide dynamic range above all, and then they also need seamless transitions across the entire range so that you don't notice the crossfading of dynamic layers or switching of articulations. Good musicianship in every sample doesn't hurt either.

The demos of Daniel's piece and the Mahler piece are good in their respective dynamic ranges but how does the library work moving across dynamics?

I wrote this little fanfare with CSB.

I think this is a good test piece because it goes across all the dynamics both in short and long notes. I'm getting 80-90% of what I want with CSB but hey, always willing to buy another brass library ;)

EDIT: Duh, forgot the MIDI! Here it is if anyone wants to give it a shot with MSB.

Attached Files:

15. erica-grace

erica-grace Senior Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Nice Noam. Am I wrong, or are the beginning trumpets a mimic of the opening oboes and harp from "Flight To Neverland"?

Anyway, what I am hearing there, is not nearly enough dynamic range. There is some, but to my (relatively inexperienced) ears, not near enough. Maybe if there any real brass players on the forum (I think there are) they can speak about this?

NoamL likes this.
  16. HelixK

HelixK Active Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Are we really doing this again? Begging for walkthroughs and demos? I don't understand how a developer can overlook something as obvious as that. It's like they expect users to do all the work for them. Don't be cheap, AudioBro! Pay reviewers, send some NFRs, do whatever it takes but don't leave your customers hanging like that, it looks remarkably unprofessional.

[​IMG]

Xilef likes this.
  17. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Have you heard the demos on their site? As I kinda posted before, the first one is hard to follow with anything else.

Quality over quantity.

18. Karl Feuerstake

Karl Feuerstake Active Member

Jun 12, 2014
    As a brass player... these demos I'm hearing are not convincing me. The Star Wars and Brucker sound very far from realistic. I'll stick with what I have.

Too bad, wouldve loved to play with a bunch of BBb Cimbassi samples since every other sample library only has F Cimbassi, but I'm not forkin out that much money for it. Love me some Contrabass Trombone samples, and I even play one :P

The dry room and slicing (editing) of the attacks give it a machine-like quality that seems to destroy all life when you get the full ensemble going. For lack of a better description, it sounds painfully "synthy". As soloists they may be a bit better, and serve well to augment other brass libraries, but only time will tell.

HelixK, ionian and kevthurman like this.
  19. jneebz

jneebz Senior Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Portland OR, USA
    Thank you for the demo...I certainly mean no offense to you whatsoever, but this sounds just terrible to my ears. Like phasey-synthy....dang, making me re-think this thing.

ionian and HelixK like this.
  20. trumpoz

trumpoz Trumpet, DAW, Beer, Done

Oct 7, 2010
    Melbourne
    Hey Karl - as a fellow brass player I'm not convinced either. There is a caveat - I'm a brass player and I dont think samples will ever be convincing to my ears (SM Trombone is awesome but still not the real thing)..... just as Jose Herring posted earlier, he doesn't like Clarinet libraries (apart from the Herring Clarinet lol).

Karl Feuerstake and kevthurman like this.