Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by zolhof, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Architekton

Architekton Active Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Will LASS3 be newly recorded instruments or it will be just an update to old v2 library?

2. nawzadhaji

nawzadhaji Member

Feb 12, 2017
    I have some good Brass Library (a,b,c,d). seriously after more than 10 time listening the demo , walkthrough video . there is something magic in this library absolutely stunning, I Loved it , unique feature Very realistic Sounds , Excellent job , same levle of (Lass) may be more , congratulations audiobro...

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  3. jneebz

jneebz Senior Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Portland OR, USA
    Agree. I wonder if the whole initial release plan may have been rushed a bit given the long wait and looming deadline...I’m extrapolating my hope from the video examples ;)

artomatic and kevthurman like this.
  4. gpwilliams

gpwilliams New Member

May 19, 2010
    Virginia
    I am happy to see that MSB has an alto trombone. This is missing from many brass libraries (of course VSL has it).

Looking forward to redoing a mock-up of the 4th movement of Schumann’s Rhenish symphony using MSB. The brass section is prominent and calls for an alto trombone. A complete MSB section should work well here.

markleake and kevthurman like this.
  5. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    I don't think anyone knows at this point. I'd love to see the original samples ported over to the new player, plus some newly recorded articulations. LASS is already so strong, I don't think a totally fresh start would be necessary. It just needs some more content.

kevthurman likes this.
  6. Hanu_H

Hanu_H Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I think it was stated somewhere by Andrew from Audiobro that it will have the old samples ported to the new engine with some new recordings as well.

miket likes this.
  7. sinkd

sinkd Senior Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Western North Carolina
    Exactly! And what about Hardart? and Oscar Mayer Weiner Whistle? (yes, I had to sing the song to myself to spell 'Mayer' correctly). But, yeah. woodwinds in the LASS/MSB format would be killer.

8. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    This is one of the things I am most looking forward to... all the additional instruments beyond the usual Bb trumpets/horns/bones/tubas.

I love how OT in Ark 2 gave us so many alternative brass instruments, and all with legatos. It's one of my favourites currently because there is such a rich variety of brass sounds in that library. With MSB, having some solo versions of these less recorded instruments (if they are recorded well), would be awesome. They haven't demonstrated them yet, I'm very keen to hear them.

whiskers likes this.
  9. sinkd

sinkd Senior Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Western North Carolina
    My impression of the sound of MSB is that it is stunning. Really perfect and true to the sound of brass sections recorded in place. Add auto divisi and A.R.T to that and color me sold. Well done, Audiobro! Modern Scoring Brass was worth waiting for.

SoNowWhat?, HelixK and whiskers like this.
  10. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

if i'm not mistaken, Audiobro previously did mention there'll be some new contents right ?

11. HelixK

HelixK Active Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Fair enough, I didn't take into consideration things like microphone mixes and the brilliant script behind all Audiobro libraries. I should know better, I use LASS all the time.

I'm one of AudioBro's most vocal supporters and when MSB was announced I couldn't contain my excitement. The demos were just a bit disappointing, not to the detriment of the composers, it's a classic case of high expectations leading to disappointment.

I also got really used to CSB during those months of waiting, so there is that. My impressions were premature and unfair to AudioBro, I will wait for more examples, user demos, and other helpful resources to finally make an informed decision.

sinkd and Geoff Grace like this.
  12. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    I don't know, but a few of you seem to remember that. Encouraging if so. I think that's the right direction.

13. OP
    OP
    zolhof

zolhof Active Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Silent Hill
    It was a post at the Audiobro forums by Andrew on August 31, 2017 :

New samples confirmed. :thumbsup:

miket likes this.
  14. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Have you listened to Daniel Beijbom's demo? It's pretty impressive to me.

https://audiobro.com/modern-scoring-brass/

15. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Adding up from the Kontakt instances shown in the video.... MSB can apparently load 4 Trumpets, 8 Horns, 4 Tenor + 2 Bass Trombones, and 2 Tubas in 8.28 GB of RAM. That's really not bad at all! That is just the main articulations (no mutes) and presumably a single mic position.

miket and kevthurman like this.
  16. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

i wonder why the GUI shows Con Sordino.....is that referring to mutes?

17. kevthurman

kevthurman Active Member

Dec 18, 2018
    That's what Con Sordino means

18. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

I think it sounds pretty nice, and the UI implementation seems stellar - like the children choir. However, I think the lack of sampled ensembles will be a big problem...

SimonCharlesHanna likes this.
  19. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Pardon my lack of knowledge....i thought it's more commonly used for strings where as in brass, mostly called mute instead of con sordino right ?

20. Dave Connor

Dave Connor Senior Member

May 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    A very nagging problem for me (and I assume others) is creating chords with the same exact instrument. That’s a realism killer. So you end up stacking an identical instrument on itself or blending libraries that are too disparate sounding which perfectly inverts the problem. So, a headache in either case (more time, more work.) Not to mention finally having far more instrument choices if something just doesn’t sit right (say, between two bones: you now have two more to chose from.) All this in the context of the same library, same interface, controllers etc. MSB (theoretically) is an enhancing of the mock-up process on several planes - a very welcome development.

What’s obvious to me, is that someone who does mockups and understands these basic recurring needs created the library to meet them and did an excellent job of it. The fact that the sound of the library is what people are deciding on, shows how well they have addressed all other important aspects. As far as layered instruments, those tend to sound better because of the nature of that captured sound. There are good ensembles out there but nothing like this multi instrument collection which is where there is quite a lack.

The new developments such as the variable attack on sustains is another step toward realism, variety and the relief of the dreaded sameness in sample use. Multiple sample availability has been a holy grail for sometime, hence the advent of Round Robbin. Multi-instrument an even better option.

I’m sure you’re not against all the above but would prefer the addition of ensembles which is always a plus I agree. Seeing this answer to a fundamental problem in sample libraries since their inception is just too positive for me to see MSB as lacking in some fundamental way.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    sinkd likes this.