Audiobro Modern Scoring Brass (MSB)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by zolhof, Nov 20, 2018.

1. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm looking forward to watch more videos showing MSB in more detail.

Maybe they will be posting additional videos, and demos during the next few days before the official release on Tuesday April 23rd.

So far I like the new features, and the transparent behind the scenes divisi system, no more confusing, and complex setup for divisi is needed. :thumbsup:
    (Also looking forward to see this type of divisi implemented in LASS 3) .

The new Variable Attack Control (VAC) surely makes the Sustains sound so much more alive, and real. Huge difference compared to a normal sustain patch.

I think the demos sound very nice. But I would like to hear more demos to better evaluate the library.

Casiquire, ChrisL and kevthurman like this.
  2. kevthurman

kevthurman Active Member

Dec 18, 2018
    From what they have it seems pretty good at loud and fast. I want to see some more intimate chorale-style writing, which is where I had assumed a library with individual parts sampled would really shine. The trumpets have a really nice shimmer on the top of chords, the tubas are very warm and full, the horns seem to be powerful but not too buzzy. I felt the trombones were weak but only because they didn't seem to get much attention either in the mix or during the walkthrough. For $599 though it seems worth it. Seems to be similar to OT berlin brass in a lot of ways but more flexible.

Casiquire, muziksculp and markleake like this.
  3. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    It sounds fantastic to me.

I really want to hear the different microphones. And more variety in the demos.

It has a clean sound that tends towards sounding a bit thin in the demos. Not as warm and full sounding like you get with, for example, Spitfire brass. But the demos were mostly the higher dynamics... in the intro video this didn't seem to be an issue. Lets wait and see what it sounds like in demos where the players aren't belting it out so hard. And I'm still not 100% sure about layering the brass rather than recording as a2/a3 patches, I need to hear more examples.

The legatos and the different length short notes sound great though. Their approach to the articulations I think are exactly what people will want and will find most useful. The library engine is impressive.

And good on AudioBro for ignoring all of that over-the-top price speculation like we saw previously in this thread. $600 places it firmly in the realms of being competitive against their competitors, taking into account instrument coverage.

4. kevthurman

kevthurman Active Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I agree. I want to hear more of the quiet to mid level playing and especially from the trombones. Trombones are the main reason I need a new library to be honest.

Casiquire, muziksculp and markleake like this.
  5. Raphioli

Raphioli Active Member

Dec 22, 2016
    I really wish Berlin Brass had the upper dynamics which MSB has. It could have definitely competed with this library. (except for the superior engine MSB has)

But damn, $600. Thats an extremely competitive pricing considering the amount of instruments/recordings this library has. (I'm also wondering what the regular MSRP is. around 800 to 900 is my guess, considering the intro price)
    Not sure if my PC could handle the RAM usage though lol
    They do have a Full Mix download option which is interesting.

6. kevthurman

kevthurman Active Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I hope it's at least partially purgable. Maybe I can stream from my SSD? never tried streaming samples before because I felt I had the ram not to have to.

7. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    interface/GUI looks clean af. Daddy like ;)

8. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    There's a lot to get your head around here. I will say, they were right: $600 is pleasantly surprising, albeit still way past what I can throw at a new brass library right now. If LASS 3 delivers though, that could be a compelling combination.

I'm not sold on the sound quite yet. The demos are more bombastic than my usual taste.

9. jneebz

jneebz Senior Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Portland OR, USA
    Can’t wait to crank the “Sizzle” knob.

whiskers likes this.
  10. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    Damn it, I watched the walkthrough and now I am, in fact, sold on the sound. Thus begins years of lust until I can manage to get it.

11. Drundfunk

Drundfunk Member

Apr 5, 2017
    I think I need more demos. So far I think it sounds great but I'm also not really sold at the moment. But maybe I'm too drunk right now ;). So what do you guys think? CSB? This? Both?

12. borisb2

borisb2 Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Is it just me or did the staccato strings in these 2 demos sounded a bit more „classical“ than LASS - I liked that .. could that be already a hint to LASS3?

13. chocobitz825

chocobitz825 Active Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Obviously both of course lol

14. borisb2

borisb2 Member

Sep 6, 2018
    You need CSB, MSB, SSB, SStB, AB, BB, CB and then of course JXLB .. geez, thats soo confusing

Lode_Runner and MartinH. like this.
  15. chocobitz825

chocobitz825 Active Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Anything less would be uncivilized!

constaneum and Lode_Runner like this.
  16. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    180 days of beans and rice. I await the other demos, especially ones featuring the muted patches. But the price here is really amazing—do we know what the regular price will be?—and I wonder how OT will be able to maintain their pricing structure for Berlin Brass if the regular price for this is in the neighborhood of $799.

Lode_Runner and richard kurek like this.
  17. kevthurman

kevthurman Active Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Well, they seem to be going for a more modular route via their new store and sampler. Either way, competition is good here.

jbuhler likes this.
  18. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    We really don't know what their store is going to look like, how modular it will in fact be, and in any case I can't imagine that it was predicated on charging less overall than the current library costs.

whiskers likes this.
  19. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    So far I love the sound and player. I'll listen in more detail tomorrow.

20. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    btw @Guy Rowland the price was set at one my scenarios.

However, I enjoyed the walkthrough quite a lot and the built in functions are great. Tone is nice definitely for a classic scoring stage kind of approach. Good 3d projection too imo.
    Curious though that they stated on their webstie that all instruments range from ppp-fff though in the walkthrough e.g. at horns are going from piano to fortissimo, also other examples with the trumpets are sounding to me (modwheel up at 100 percent) more like a musical forte, but definitely not like a triple forte.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    chocobitz825 and jneebz like this.