What's new

Audio Interface Recommendations

Then the question is....do you have Thunderbolt 2/3 on your PC? If so, then you would definitely benefit, as you'd have virtually zero latency. Also, your interface has nothing to do with the sound quality of your exported audio. The sound quality advantages would be the converters (how you hear your sound coming out of the DAW) and the pre amps (if you're recording audio).

For your use USB2 should be almost as good as Thunderbolt. But it’s true that USB2 tends to have slightly higher latencies. But it’s not a big difference

I'd considered the babyface pro before but I'm put off by its form - I don't need it to be mobile, it will just sit on my studio desk. I'd prefer cables to just be at the back not all around taking up space. How heavy is the babyface pro? I like the sturdyness of the saffire I have, would be babyface pro be easily moved?

I upgraded about a year ago to the Apollo Twin from a Saffire Pro 24 DSP, and was a little skeptical about not having the MIDI and using the UAD the plugins, but I consider it to be a big upgrade and have really enjoyed the plugins more than ever thought I would. Definitely high quality and I'd highly recommend it. I use Cubase also, no issues.

I'd considered the babyface pro before but I'm put off by its form - I don't need it to be mobile, it will just sit on my studio desk. I'd prefer cables to just be at the back not all around taking up space. How heavy is the babyface pro? I like the sturdyness of the saffire I have, would be babyface pro be easily moved?

It's got enough heft to stay in place. That said, the only way to handle the additional monitors you want is to use the headphone out (there are jacks, but they use the same channels), or optical. Outs 3-4 are unbalanced. Not ideal for your situation.

Have a look at the RME UCX. It has everything you've mentioned, although it's a bit above your budget.

I recently went with RME, moving from Focusrite same as yourself. I've had big issues with getting TB to work properly and RME's support have been pretty useless TBH. The USB3 connection is good though.

I've found at higher latencies (typically what high track count projects need) that the differences between the RME and my old Focusrite are pretty small. It think your CPU will be more of a bottleneck if you're chasing higher track counts and more plug-ins.

Main pc system is i7-6800K, 4.2ghz, 64GB RAM, all SSD drives... I'm totally *not* sure what to go for :(

It's a shame that you need just those two extra outs, because that puts you at the RME UCX. With the ARC Remote that comes to $1779. Even the lowliest Apollos have the I/O you want. Not sure how their drivers are, but they're probably very good.

One thing you could do is use the RME BFP with a passive monitor controller.

I recently went with RME, moving from Focusrite same as yourself. I've had big issues with getting TB to work properly and RME's support have been pretty useless TBH. The USB3 connection is good though.

Did you post on the forum? The engineers have always gotten right back to me.

It's a shame that you need just those two extra outs, because that puts you at the RME UCX. With the ARC Remote that comes to $1779. Even the lowliest Apollos have the I/O you want. Not sure how their drivers are, but they're probably very good.

One thing you could do is use the RME BFP with a passive monitor controller.

Did you post on the forum? The engineers have always gotten right back to me.

Emailed support directly and posted on the forum, got some help from other users on the forum. Official support took over 2 weeks to reply, issue still isn't fixed (months later) and I think they've given up. Others on the forum have been reporting the same issue random distorted / bit-crushed audio. Mines just on TB with Win audio, can still use USB3 (which is working well) but wouldn't recommend RME so far.

What improvements would I see over my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 with either the RME Babyface Pro or the Universal Audio Apollo Twin Quad MkII ?

What improvements would I see over my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 with either the RME Babyface Pro or the Universal Audio Apollo Twin Quad MkII ?

Realistically, probably a more stable driver and slightly lower latency. If the current setup is problematic it might be worth it, otherwise...

(^speaking from experience RME only, btw)

Top Bottom