Audio Interface Conundrum

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by procreative, Oct 10, 2018.

1. procreative

procreative Senior Member

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    My current monitoring interface is a TC Electronic Impact Twin, not top of the range but okay. But I also have an RME RayDat PCIE card.

The RayDAT has no analogue but has 4 ADAT I/O (32 Channels In and Out), so I could route audio out of an ADAT port of the RayDAT into my Impact Twin and use the RayDAT as the computer audio interface and simply use its ADAT output to drive the analogue outputs of my Impact Twin.

1. Do you think I would get better latency performance?
    2. Do you think it would be beneficial?

The specs are here:
    https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/hdspe_raydat.php
    https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/IMPACT-TWIN/p/P0DMV/Specifications#googtrans(en|en)

I would be really grateful if you could give your opinion as some of these figures mean little to me.

It just strikes me RME is likely to have better specs but I could be wrong?

2. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

i think with the tc twin will be more than enough for a good performance latencywise.
    firewire 400 is good.
    also the conversion to and from analog will still be done in the tc twin.

so grab a DAW session and load it to the max. record several strings samples and then another set of brass samples and then try to play a piano vst and see how much latency you get.
    also try to record regular audio from a mic in one channel.
    and just feel if that works.
    then do the same but use the rme card as the main card connected via adat and clock the tc twin to the rme.

in general , pcie will be faster than firewire400 but i doubt youll get any noticeable performance difference on day to day composing. but dont look at those numbers. your pc specs also come into play. daw and vsts/

3. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    FireWire is incredibly stable too.
    I’ve got an ancient proprietary FW called Z-Link.
    It’s the Scope SHARC DSP Xite-1 Rack.
    When I need to use it as a 48/24 stereo Channel mixer for a live PA System I hook up the Creamware A16 Ultra 32 I/O Converter and the FireWire is the 1394b it’s so old.
    It’s sounds great too for 24bit 48k.
    I’ve never experienced latency of any kind on any hardware or PCs.
    Never on MIDI either.
    The idea of playing notes that aren’t heard until a fraction of a second later terrifies me.
    Hope I never experience it.

4. OP
    OP
    procreative

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    My main issue presently is that I use VEP 6 and when you add the latency of that on to the latency of the setting I have for my DAW there is a noticeable lag on short articulations.

I dont seem to be able to get lower than 512 samples in Logic without issues with dropouts.

My main DAW system is MacPro 5,1 Dual 3.46hz, 128GB Ram, SATA 3 SSDs, OSX Sierra and I have Kontakt preload set to about 36 samples I think (as this saves RAM and I think with SSDs its fine).

5. OP
    OP
    procreative

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    From my research at 512 buffer Impact Twin Latency is 29ms and the RayDat is 12ms.

So I assume even if I left buffer at 512 and even allowing for extra latency of sending signal from RayDat via either SPDIF or ADAT it would still outperform the Impact Twin?

Plus I am sure that PCIE based audio cards perform better under stress than FW400?

Maybe I have to try it, just dreading all the recabling and configuring TotalMix!

6. rrichard63

rrichard63 Perpetual Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Yes, I think so.

7. OP
    OP
    procreative

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    RME were kind enough to confirm I would get better Latency using the RayDat as the I/O and feeding the Impact Twin via either SPDIF or ADAT to get monitoring. Which I know would work as I have used the Impact Twin standalone before.

We shall see!