What's new

Audio Imperia's Upcoming MIDI CC Controller

Are there any Midi CC faders that are motorized? I haven't seen anything like that. I really want motorized MIDI CC faders, but they don't work for CC.
AI's faders have a nice look. Although the price is high compared to its competitors, it will be competitive if it offers great features with the buttons shown in the picture.
It would be nice to show the name of the articulation that matches the CC on the display.
Not the competition, but yes, my very old Tascam FW-1884 has motorized faders that I use for both MIDI CC (expression, Modwheel and whatnot, Mics MIDI levels, and so forth) and for mixing.

There are quite a few 2, 3 and 4 faders on the market, mostly boutique too, and way cheaper than $450, and many threads on VIC about them. Generally, though, it seems faders are motorized when there's at least 8 of them.

So I guess the Audio Imperia offering is for people who value design and finish.

There are quite a few 2, 3 and 4 faders on the market, mostly boutique too, and way cheaper than $450, and many threads on VIC about them. Generally, though, it seems faders are motorized when there's at least 8 of them.
Could you list them?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224690092974
And on and on and on

For $450, y'all could get a (very likely) high quality set of faders that will allow you to be more expressive with all of your libraries, and all it sets you back is the same or less than a new very useable strings library that you won't ever use because you're too busy complaining about the legato on VI-C. ;)

This looks fantastic @audioimperia! Just one question:

Can it be programmed from the unit itself or do you have to use software?

I myself would prefer the former in order not to be dependent on the manufacturer having to keep up with OS compatibility (which us Mac users know breaks every year).

This looks fantastic @audioimperia! Just one question:

Can it be programmed from the unit itself or do you have to use software?

I myself would prefer the former in order not to be dependent on the manufacturer having to keep up with OS compatibility (which us Mac users know breaks every year).
The current iteration requires the software (doesn't have to be running while using the unit, just to program the unit)

Well, the Chase Bliss CXM 1978 reverb pedal with motorized faders is around $900 as an upper bound. Without motorized faders and without on-board sound, ideally the price would be less than half that. But there's fundamental costs involved, so it can only be so inexpensive before it's losing money. I wouldn't be shocked if the cost to make them wasn't fairly high per unit to start, and then there's the supply chain issues....

Well without really being able to test one out, I still have to say, I appreciate (in theory) that this will be a nice piece of hardware which is both functional but also really well built. I feel like I've watched the cheapening of our entire economy here in the US, and I'm so tired of only being able to buy cheap shit, made by slave labor, that is considered disposable. There are cheaper options, and that's great for the people who want that, but if AI is wanting to fill the void that is a tank-like build and a bit more sexy, AND (hopefully) is supporting people at a decent wage, rather than Chinese slave labor, I am all about it.
totally agree with this. Love the Boutique approach and quality that comes with it!

In the uk, there is this website that sells pretty cheap cc controllers, they do have a 100mm version but it is currently out of stock(amongst others it seems). These are also boutique and made by hand, the only difference being the price and the materials used. https://annstweed.com/collections/midi-controllers
As such, I am of the opinion that the audio imperia controller will indeed be overpriced, especially with even nicer(than the controllers I linked) on the market such as the Nuances Controller. However the AI one looks amazing and would fit my aesthetic very nicely, so I might have to pick one up anyway.

It’s definitely an interesting design choice. Lorne Balfe and crew seem to love them.
The guy who makes them, iirc, works at RCP so all those guys are using them!

I’m quite interested in this, but once you pay for import & shipping we’re talking like probably £500ish maybe (think it’s the same for the Choi sauce one as it’s the same price, $450). I’m really surprised no one in the UK is making this at this build quality!

The guy who makes them, iirc, works at RCP so all those guys are using them!
Yeah, I've heard the Choisauce one is VERY high quality, so unless this AI one is using like rare Brazilian Rosewood or something, not entirely sure why the price is the same for half the faders.

Yeah, I've heard the Choisauce one is VERY high quality, so unless this AI one is using like rare Brazilian Rosewood or something, not entirely sure why the price is the same for half the faders.
The faders aren't the only cost involved in making one of these premium units :) For example, we're not using a pre-made enclosure box but a custom-made one to get the right angle gradient.

Isn't Brazilian Rosewood on the CITES list? We're using high-quality walnut for the sides.

The faders aren't the only cost involved in making one of these premium units :) For example, we're not using a pre-made enclosure box but a custom-made one to get the right angle gradient.

Isn't Brazilian Rosewood on the CITES list? We're using high-quality walnut for the sides.
IMO I think you are missing a trick….you could build a cheaper unit and flood the market and get one of your Controllers on every composers desk on the planet.

Think Big!👍

Top Bottom