Audio Ark: Jason Graves Music - Writing for Strings

Discussion in 'SAMPLECASTS, PODCASTS, VIDEOCASTS' started by Jason Graves, Jul 8, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Jason Graves

Jason Graves New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Excited that my score to the VR game Moss is now available! To celebrate, I'm hosting a remix competition of the song I wrote for the game. Plus will have a detailed breakdown of it over the next week or so. :) The first of three episodes is already live!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Olfirf, muk, jononotbono and 3 others like this.
  2. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I'm curious man. Do you ever play video games or are you always too busy working on Video Games? Also, I'm going to invest in VR in the not so distant future as I would love to get involved in that as it's definitely going to be the future and wondering if you have a VR set up to make sure all your music and sound design for VR works well... Or is it any excuse to get closer to Ready Player One? haha

Jason Graves likes this.
  3. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Also, I was wondering if you would ever be up for making a video on Perc Programming? I know you're a drummer and I'm constantly trying to get better at Perc Programming. Mainly Cinematic Percussion programming as opposed to "Rock Kit" drumming that we hear in Film, Games, TV and Trailers etc. Sorry. if I'm being demanding! Your You Tube Channel is amazing. Thank you! :)

Jason Graves and GuitarG like this.
  4. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Another vote for that!

5. OP
    OP
    Jason Graves

Jason Graves New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    YES will definitely do an episode on writing/programming percussion. :) And I don't actually own a VR setup. Honestly prefer having movies of the gameplay so I can add them to Cubase and let them play in the background as I work. Plus pre-release games are always buggy! I find it better to focus on the music...unless I'm also doing the implementation. Then I DO play the game. Before and after I put the music in. A LOT. Obviously a project by project decision!

6. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Thanks man! Legend.

“Research” is definitely the excuse I’m telling my partner why I simply must get a VR set up. Haha

Brueland and Jason Graves like this.
  7. jadedsean

jadedsean Active Member

Jun 28, 2016
    I can't view the video Jason, is their a reason why?

8. OP
    OP
    Jason Graves

Jason Graves New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Apologies - had some sensitive material that needed to be taken down. Will fix soon!

jadedsean likes this.
  9. jadedsean

jadedsean Active Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Ah no problem, hope to see it soon.

10. OP
    OP
    Jason Graves

Jason Graves New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Back online...thanks for your patience and understanding. :)

New video posted on writing/arranging for strings - both MIDI and live soloists.

11. Brueland

Brueland New Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Oslo, Norway
  12. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

@Jason Graves Hey man, I was wondering if I could trouble you to perhaps answer a couple of questions regarding VEPro? I'm in the process of re routing my Template (Using Cubase and VEPro 6) and have been watching you video AA03 VEPro Template, Part One: Winds and Drums.

I find it fascinating that every other channel in your template (speaking about top winds) is an instance of Kontakt (the Blue coloured channels) and you say "if it's Grey it's some kind of sub output". Are those sub outputs VEPro Aux channels?

All this time I have been creating an Aux channel for every instrument (it's a lot of Aux channels) and assigning outputs manually (all shorts for example would match the same output and that would be in Cubase) in each Kontakt and your way is far more efficient.

Am I right in thinking that because you create 2 Outputs for Winds (Long and Short) per Kontakt and aux (if it is an aux channel you are using) you then sub mix all articulations volumes inside Kontakt and then once you have sent each pair of wind outputs to VEPro busses (Winds High Long, Hight Short, Low long, Low Short etc) it is in Cubase where you assign these 4 total outputs for winds? Hoping I haven't got all this wrong, but this means that it's much more manageable inside Cubase with those 4 outputs!

I've never thought about bussing inside VEPro and using separate Aux channels to sub mix articulations before they go into Cubase but man, that is such a great idea. Trying to make sense of a 3000 track template (and growing) so this is such a help (if I have got this correct).

I wonder if having less aux channels in VEPro uses less computing resources.
    Thanks for your generosity in making these videos!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Leslie Fuller and Brueland like this.
  13. LamaRose

LamaRose Gato Mighty!

Oct 26, 2015
    Awesome channel, Jason... the music stuff is pretty cool too, lol! Been listening to a lot of Max Richter, and I love how he hammers home his harmony before introducing melody(ies)/complexity.

Brueland likes this.