What's new

Assign MIDI Values Outside a Device's Editor?

higgs

boson
I picked up a Korg NanoPAD2 in hopes of using it's editor and 4 available scenes to make a dedicated & portable articulation switcher for CSS, UACC, etc. Though the pads are velocity sensitive, it's supplied editor does not allow for unique values within a given CC as needed for UACC/CC32 values and CSS (which oddly doesn't offer CC32 as an option for articulation control).

I also have a Livid Ohm RGB I'd like to repurpose whose pads are not velocity sensitive and whose editor only allows two velocities/values: 64 for any CC channel or 127 for notes, and of course zero.

My question is this: Is there a way to write my own custom CC values directly to the devices without needing to run a software interpreter in between the device and host/instrument?

Thanks for you time/thoughts!

pmcrockett

If the editor software communicates with the device via MIDI sysex events it might be possible to send the sysex events yourself with different values. If communication between the editor and the device is non-MIDI, then you're probably out of luck.

OP
higgs

higgs

boson
I suspected it'd might be in order to devote time to learning sysex, hexadecimal, etc. Sadly the NanoPAD's editor doesn't support sending sysex messages, but Livid's Ohm editor does, so huzzah!

Any resources you'd recommend to start learning?

pmcrockett

For a description of the elements involved in a sysex message, check out http://www.2writers.com/eddie/tutsysex.htm

Livid has a wiki page that gives sysex commands for the OhmRGB: http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/OhmRGB#OhmRGB_Sysex

Unfortunately, if I'm reading that second link correctly (under the heading 0B: Map Buttons), you still won't be able to set specific values to be triggered by the pads. The sysex command that you send to the Ohm to program a button contains info about what button you're programming, whether you want it to send note or CC data, and which note or CC it should be, but it doesn't contain a value that the button should send, so it looks like the values the buttons send are hard-coded into the device and can't be changed.

OP
higgs

higgs

boson
Ah shoot. Thanks for looking into that - very kind of you. I should still become better familiarized with with sysex anyhow, so thanks for that info as well :)

Top Bottom