What's new

Arturia Pigments 3.0. Any thoughts?

I thought I made my love for Generate clear. It's great and brilliant.

B series in the sense that it's not a workhorse like Falcon 2, Massive X, Zebra 2. It's in a different category of synths.
These are categories in your own paradigm, in my reality Massive X is not a “workhorse “ or even a consideration of a synth I’d be interested in using.
There are no absolutes but to dismiss a synth that’s unique and somewhat niche with a 2nd run version of a popular synth that’s been panned by many people or is unusable by a large segment of synthesists as a “workhorse“ is a stretch in my reality.
Generate might not be your cup of tea but for many of us it’s one of the most interesting and promising NEW synths to come around in a very long time.
Many people dismiss Absynth as old and outdated for me even today I think Absynth is still one of the best synths NI ever released and is on my short list of 1st call synths,Massive 1 I never liked and Massive X I’ve never tried(my Mac can’t run it).

Of course all of this is all subjective and a matter of “taste” but I think we can all agree there are no absolutes.
On the nose!

On the nose!

These are categories in your own paradigm, in my reality Massive X is not a “workhorse “ or even a consideration of a synth I’d be interested in using.
There are no absolutes but to dismiss a synth that’s unique and somewhat niche with a 2nd run version of a popular synth that’s been panned by many people or is unusable by a large segment of synthesists as a “workhorse“ is a stretch in my reality.
Generate might not be your cup of tea but for many of us it’s one of the most interesting and promising NEW synths to come around in a very long time.
Many people dismiss Absynth as old and outdated for me even today I think Absynth is still one of the best synths NI ever released and is on my short list of 1st call synths,Massive 1 I never liked and Massive X I’ve never tried(my Mac can’t run it).

Of course all of this is all subjective and a matter of “taste” but I think we can all agree there are no absolutes.
That's all cool. I'm not dismissing Generate, it's one of the best synths to come out last year. I am pointing out a difference however between something like Falcon 2 and Generate. There are huge differences in the types of sounds you can get from Falcon vs. Generate because of the amount of tools and effects built it. For example Generate I think only has reverb, chorus, delay, and maybe a phaser? Falcon 2 has more different kinds of filters than Generate has effects.

However there are certain sounds that Generate can make that would be impossible on Falcon 2 which makes Generate unique and great.

I think there are classes of soft synths out there.

There are synths you can pick up for sub $100 like generate on sale that are fantastic. Lion is one of those as well.

But you cannot create the wide range of sounds that you can with Falcon 2, Massive X, Phaseplant, and probably Pigments goes in there as well.

So call them what you want. If you think Generate can create the same range of sounds that Falcon 2 can and that there is no difference between lower priced synths that do a few things great and more complex synths that have a boatload of more tools that's cool.

I think the point I was making before everyone got mad about it was that Pigments for $100 is a pretty darn good deal based on the amount of tools in it. But it's only a good deal if you like the sound and workflow like with any synth.

It's kinda funny that I probably think Generate is as good as how you view it (or better) but you are trying to make it seem like I don't like it or think badly of it or something is wrong with it. It's a fantastic synth. Read that last line again please.

That's all cool. I'm not dismissing Generate, it's one of the best synths to come out last year. I am pointing out a difference however between something like Falcon 2 and Generate. There are huge differences in the types of sounds you can get from Falcon vs. Generate because of the amount of tools and effects built it. For example Generate I think only has reverb, chorus, delay, and maybe a phaser? Falcon 2 has more different kinds of filters than Generate has effects.

However there are certain sounds that Generate can make that would be impossible on Falcon 2 which makes Generate unique and great.

I think there are classes of soft synths out there.

There are synths you can pick up for sub $100 like generate on sale that are fantastic. Lion is one of those as well.

But you cannot create the wide range of sounds that you can with Falcon 2, Massive X, Phaseplant, and probably Pigments goes in there as well.

So call them what you want. If you think Generate can create the same range of sounds that Falcon 2 can and that there is no difference between lower priced synths that do a few things great and more complex synths that have a boatload of more tools that's cool.

I think the point I was making before everyone got mad about it was that Pigments for $100 is a pretty darn good deal based on the amount of tools in it. But it's only a good deal if you like the sound and workflow like with any synth.

It's kinda funny that I probably think Generate is as good as how you view it (or better) but you are trying to make it seem like I don't like it or think badly of it or something is wrong with it. It's a fantastic synth. Read that last line again please.
I guess that’s how we see this from a totally different perspective I don’t equate the price or the amount of built in effects of a synth as a way to accurately and effectively determine the value and usefulness of a synth. If a synth brings something new and different to the table even if it’s inexpensive and somewhat limited I still might consider this new option more of an interesting choice than a “workhorse “ synth.
Using Pigments as an example I can get this for $49 with the current offer yet and I’m still hesitating because numerous users are reporting while Pigments is extremely powerful it’s just OK at many of its tasks and can be quite demanding CPU wise for many users on some of the presets.
I hear more people praising the intro-price or capabilities of Pigments 3 while most reactions from users purely on the sonic capabilities seem to be more lukewarm to tepid.
So what keeps me hesitant with Pigments 3 and the question I keep asking myself am I Pigment-curious because of the actual synth or the intro pricing?

I guess that’s how we see this from a totally different perspective I don’t equate the price or the amount of built in effects of a synth as a way to accurately and effectively determine the value and usefulness of a synth. If a synth brings something new and different to the table even if it’s inexpensive and somewhat limited I still might consider this new option more of an interesting choice than a “workhorse “ synth.
Using Pigments as an example I can get this for $49 with the current offer yet and I’m still hesitating because numerous users are reporting while Pigments is extremely powerful it’s just OK at many of its tasks and can be quite demanding CPU wise for many users on some of the presets.
I hear more people praising the intro-price or capabilities of Pigments 3 while most reactions from users purely on the sonic capabilities seem to be more lukewarm to tepid.
So what keeps me hesitant with Pigments 3 and the question I keep asking myself am I Pigment-curious because of the actual synth or the intro pricing?
I suggest you to try the demo. I did, and like you, i was more tempted by the actual offer than the synth itself. Sure it is a great synth, with a lot of possibilities, and the GUI is very good, you can do things really easily.
But in the end, i don't like the taste and the overall sound. It's completly personnal taste, but luckylly there was the demo to test it and make my final choice :whistling: Thanks Arturia!
The new harmonic engine and the noises sources are still really cool!

I suggest you to try the demo. I did, and like you, i was more tempted by the actual offer than the synth itself. Sure it is a great synth, with a lot of possibilities, and the GUI is very good, you can do things really easily.
But in the end, i don't like the taste and the overall sound. It's completly personnal taste, but luckylly there was the demo to test it and make my final choice :whistling: Thanks Arturia!
The new harmonic engine and the noises sources are still really cool!
Thanks that would be a great if somewhat obvious suggestions if I was somewhat normal,lol 😂
As irrational as it might be I generally prefer not trying demos and I either buy or don’t buy and it’s almost always the correct decision.
Back in the day when we were were working with limited space and resources I got used to not trying demos and for better or worse I generally have adhered to this archaic irrational behavior.
While I know trying the demo is the logical course of action and makes total sense I prefer not having demo authorizations and content cluttering up my system. 😜

Hmmm..... Prefer manipulating /hearing libs, fx, et al, on my studio systems whenever possible/practical. Contributes to 'expectations = reality ..... ymmv

Hmmm..... Prefer manipulating /hearing libs, fx, et al, on my studio systems whenever possible/practical. Contributes to 'expectations = reality ..... ymmv
I agree 100% but I don’t always want to be motivated by rational choices and decisions,lol of course ymmv

OK, maybe it's not THAT crazy but here's my track entitled Perception that I just announced here:
It's a good demo I think of what Pigments v3 can do. I used 18 instances of it (no DAW track freezing!), most of them using the granular or the new harmonic engines. Running Cubase Pro 11 on Win10 (PC). Ozone, EQs, etc. the works! :)

Oh, and by the way, don't miss the YT video! Really cool stuff there too!

I think Pigments is the most easy-to-use-synth for total synth noobs (like me) to creat pads and soundscapes. Last night I just threw different samples into the Sample Engine of the same preset and played with the different noises... that way I created 20 different pad-Sounds in minutes!
I used to buy sound design libraries for Kontakt like Spitfire Contemporary Drama Toolkit or Heavyocity Gravity, that included those sounds, because I was not able to create them myself with the synths I had (like Massive X, Reaktor, Super 8, Vital). But Pigments is just so easy and is so intuitive... I‘m totally blown away.

Last night I just threw different samples into the Sample Engine of the same preset and played with the different noises... that way I created 20 different pad-Sounds in minutes!
While I absolutely love Pigments in just about every possible way, one thing I have to point out is the user sample folder bookmarking features is completely sloppy. Pigments can't see inside of folders with subdirectories. This means Pigments allows you to bookmark a folder it can't actually look inside of. o_O

It also means if you want to bookmark sample folders (which I certainly do...) you have to add a whole bunch of separate folders if you don't keep all of your samples inside a single folder with no subdirectories. (Who does?!) This gets really messy really fast.

This is the one thing about Pigments that really bothers me. No instrument (or app of any kind for that matter) should allow you to bookmark folders it can't look inside of for the type of content it's intended to show you. It makes no sense! :confused:

Last edited:
Top Bottom