1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arturia announces V Collection 6

Discussion in 'VIRTUAL SYNTHS: Omnisphere, U-he, Reaktor, etc.' started by zolhof, Dec 5, 2017.

1. mikeybabes

mikeybabes Only the good die young....

The Arturia website seems to be in meltdown at the moment...

D Halgren likes this.
  2. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Synth Punk,

I'm a bit of an FM junky from the old days. I love Chick Corea's Eletrik Band where he used a lot of FM. I can't program it at all but when you stack up a ton of FM it can get nice and warm but more interesting than a typical saw wave.

Harware-wise I actually just sold my TX802 but still have a Yamaha SY22 and an SY99 as well. Software-wise I have Dexed, FM8, DX Heaven and Falcon which has a 4 operator FM.

With these new additions to the V collection I'm really thinking it's time to buy but... you have a great point about just using Analog Lab as there's a ton of music in there and it's a lot less money!

I use Cubase. Not sure how to stack. I know I can load in multiple instruments on individual midi tracks, selct them all and then play and all will sound at the same time. Maybe there's a more elegant way of doing this?

All the very best,

Darren

PS I'd be happy to partake in your DX patches if you're OK with that? Can you PM me?

Jonas Hallstrom and synthpunk like this.
  3. galactic orange

galactic orange Sensor Number

Jun 23, 2016
    Indeed, I've just tried running the Software Center app. It gives me the spinning dots when signing in, and at the bottom says "Status: Checking connection..." here. (Mac El Capitan)

D Halgren likes this.
  4. D Halgren

D Halgren Senior Member

May 6, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I was so looking forward to upgrading Analog and Piano V. Guess I have to wait a little longer.

5. MillsMixx

MillsMixx Production Director/Sound Designer

Jan 23, 2015
    Seattle
    Yes they've been having issues all day it seems accessing the site. I'm still trying to log into the Software Center. Yesterday however I successfully downloaded the demos (20 minutes of free play) of the 4 new synths that added and they are awesome!

Buchla Music Easel
    CMI
    DX7
    Clavinet

Not that I need to add any more synths to my plate especially since I have most of these emulations already in UVI products but these offer a lot more functionality and are quite deeper. Not sure I'm ready to upgrade AGAIN as each year they refine a few things but these 4 new ones added are really cool. I was unsure of the interfaces at first as they seem so billboardy but they're quite solid and sound really great.

I've heard others are not so keen on their Piano V, it's not as heavily sampled as many other piano plugins but I have to say I like it a lot! It's easy to navigate combinations of pianos, mic positions, rooms, etc in the interface and there are so many options. Plus they give us a few new pianos that sound pretty great without having to do a lot of tweaking. I've spent a lot of money upgrading over the years so I'll maybe wait for another sale down the line but this upgrade is one my radar for sure.

D Halgren likes this.
  6. D Halgren

D Halgren Senior Member

May 6, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I prefer Piano V too. Poor mans Pianoteq.

7. LFO

LFO Senior Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I've been using Arturia products for a long time and really like them, but $199 for an upgrade from V to VI is too pricey. I'd buy it for the improved GUIs and the DX and Analog Lab 3, but the other synths don't hold too much interest. (Well, Buchla Easel looks cool too actually.) But I don't think it is worthy of $199. I guess I will join the bandwagon of people waiting for a sale. It's not like I'm going to get bored with V anytime soon.

8. Wes Antczak

Wes Antczak Senior Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Chicago
    I hope Yannick got the graphics right this time. That and having the Buchla and Fairlight might be fun.

9. Prockamanisc

Prockamanisc Senior Member

Jul 15, 2015
    New Orleans
    I emailed them to let them know how I felt about the exorbitant cost of the upgrade, and within a few seconds I received this reply (so they obviously have this response at the ready!)

Thank you for your email, and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I do understand your concern.

The recent update to V Collection 6 has taken thousands of hours of our top-notch developers and other Arturia members doing their absolute best. This includes work on 4 brand new, exciting instruments, thousands of incredible new preset sounds, all-round improvements on every instrument, and major updates to Piano V and Analog Lab.

We simply wouldn’t have been able to do all of this if we gave free upgrades to V Collection 6.

Some of our competitors and other companies prefer to ask their customers to pay for a subscription each month or each year for using their products. We don't, as believe that once you buy an Arturia software, it is yours forever.

The respect we have for our customers and the users of our instruments, especially the most faithful ones, remains our strongest source of motivation. This is the reason we set up special introductory offers; to allow as many people as possible to upgrade their V Collection software, or “crossgrade” from other, related Arturia products.

Please note that to see the offer price based on the products you already own, you must be logged in your account.

I hope you understand our position.

10. Prockamanisc

Prockamanisc Senior Member

Jul 15, 2015
    New Orleans
    And here's how I replied:

I completely agree, and I have disdain for companies that charge a monthly fee to use their products. I appreciate that Arturia does not choose to go that route. I also completely respect the work that the Arturia team has put into this project. I can imagine it’s a grueling process.

My point, however, is that the upgrade charge is simply too expensive, and I know that myself and many other composers will not be upgrading this time around because it is simply not cost-effective to do so. If it were $100, probably most of it would jump on it. If it were $50, then all of us would jump on it.

Just some simple math, I obviously don’t know what your sales numbers are: if you charge $200, but you price out half of your users, then you’re only making half of what you could be (and also disappointing or pissing off half of your users). If you charge $100 and everybody buys, then you make the same amount, but everybody is happy.

Krisemm likes this.
  11. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    This is really all predictable. If they set the price at $100, everyone would upgrade immediately. By asking $200 now, those anxious for the update buy now and others wait for the half off, so they make more money by starting out high!

rrichard63 likes this.
  12. mac

mac Senior Member

Mar 21, 2016
    I'm pretty sure if we stay on 5 we get the updated plugins, so we're still gaining.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. clisma

clisma Senior Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Could someone be so kind as to explain to me one thing: do Arturia do updates for V every year, like iZotope for their plugs and suites? If so, I understand the argument of the upgrade being too expensive, as I myself only upgrade iZotope plugs every other year. But if not, wouldn’t you agree that this is still tremendous value? They’ve upgraded the instruments on many fronts, added thousands of new presets, and added 4(!) new instruments, which alone would justify the cost of the upgrade in my opinion.

It seems to me that we, especially as musicians, would do well to understand the amount of work that goes into something like this. I would love for all upgrade prices to be cheaper all around, but these things take time, salaries and other resources that have to be accounted for. And they are in it for the profit in the end, as well.

14. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog Senior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    In addition to the four new instruments and Analog Lab 3, Piano V has also been updated to V2.

Anybody know how it has changed?

15. mikeybabes

mikeybabes Only the good die young....

I thought Arturia's response does them great credit. I don't think the upgrade is too expensive at all.

The problem is the high level of discounting that went on with the previous product - it price conditioned us to a very low cost for what is a very comprehensive package.

If you consider there are four new instruments - that makes each one £ 50 each - which seems to me to be very reasonable pricewise.

We've got to used to very deep discounts - and if we are not careful developers will start going out of business.

Krisemm likes this.
  16. galactic orange

Jun 23, 2016
    As I said in another forum, the upgrade price doesn't bother me. I think it's good value. But the time limit for current customers to upgrade at that price is what is hard to understand. How much will the price to upgrade go up for current users? I think a good way to show appreciation for those customers would be to let us upgrade at that price when it's good for us. Otherwise I'll just wait for a sale.

17. TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    The free upgrade to Analog 3 includes:
    Buchla Easel (255 presets)
    CMI (362 presets)
    DX7 (432 presets)
    Clav (74 presets)

That's a lot of content. And I am happy to explore the free demos of the new synths while I wait for the sale.
    IMHO I think they treat their customers very well. They're not forcing us to buy the upgrade today.

18. galactic orange

Jun 23, 2016
    Sure, I'm happy that I get to try out a lot of the new content via Analog 3 while I wait to upgrade. I look forward to trying those new Piano models as well. But in my case it will be a while.

19. TigerTheFrog

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    But you CAN try out the three synths, the clav, and the new piano models today without paying a cent. Just download the free demos. They work for 20 minutes. You can play each one whenever you like and I don't think the demos ever expire.

20. galactic orange

Jun 23, 2016
    Great. Will do! Thanks for the reminder. Also, in my account on Arturia's site $20 to upgrade to Piano V 2 is not bad at all.