What's new

Articulation switching in Studio One

Cool idea to create macros for duplicating the notes and make keyswitches out of them.

Two things that came to my mind:

- Is it really the desired behaviour that more than one note will be created if you have selected multiple notes? Of course it would ensure that each note is played with the correct articulation... but I'd prefer to have just one keyswitch when the articulation should change. This can be easily done in the macro by using the "Merge Events" command.

- You currently use the Humanize command for moving the notes. There is a "Nudge back" command that will also do the job (but without a random offset). The amount depends on the current snap setting but I'd prefer that anyway (you could also call "Toogle Snap" with an argument to deactivate snap).

(Broken Link Removed)

Just a quick and dirty GIF recording, but that's how I switch articulations with multis:

https://www.gamemusic.ca/SoCh.gif

I don’t know why I only recently started using the transfer notes function. I’ve actually used this to clean up my tracks in the end after I have all my Keyswitches set. I transfer them to a second Keyswitch only track so my melodic data is free of unnecessary stuff. That's really cool though. To transfer the notes to the relevant articulation track.

Reactions: EgM
Cool idea to create macros for duplicating the notes and make keyswitches out of them.

Two things that came to my mind:

- Is it really the desired behaviour that more than one note will be created if you have selected multiple notes? Of course it would ensure that each note is played with the correct articulation... but I'd prefer to have just one keyswitch when the articulation should change. This can be easily done in the macro by using the "Merge Events" command.

- You currently use the Humanize command for moving the notes. There is a "Nudge back" command that will also do the job (but without a random offset). The amount depends on the current snap setting but I'd prefer that anyway (you could also call "Toogle Snap" with an argument to deactivate snap).

Fair points. Actually the goal was to allow for it to create multiple notes if I was selecting horizontally in the editor (for example same type of articulation in different measures). Otherwise, there’s no need to select multiple notes vertically since the keyswitch doesn't care what notes there are, so long as one note triggers the switch prior. You’d select a single starting note, rather than all the notes in that same bar/position (like full chords). This made it easier for me to scroll through notes with my keyboard with one hand and select macros with the other. It also helps that after setting the macro I believe studio one jumps toward the next notes, so it can be pretty fast. The only case where I thought i might need to highlight multiple notes for the macro was for velocity based switches, but in CSS's staccato options, it seems the velocity is not the notes themselves, but the velocity of the keyswitch, so in every application, you're either adjusting one trigger note, or the keyswitch note itself.

I started with the nudge back function but this actually created problems when I sometimes switched the current snap setting. You’re right, I could set it to disable the snap setting, but really the only thing a keyswitch needs is a few ms head start, and the humanize function gives just enough of that without conflicting with any other settings. Its just enough head start, without being intrusive, and it lets me keep the keyswitch note to a smaller size.

so I should have clarified the process:

To use it, you dont need to highlight multiple notes vertically. If you do it will create as many notes as you've highlighted, which is unnecessary. you just pick one reference note and then select your macro. So for ensemble parts, I normally just click on the root note, or which ever note is first in line, and select the relevant articulation macro. This works across an arrangement also, if you want. You can command click multiple notes across an arrangement and use the macro and it will set keyswitches under them all.

one warning: if you do not highlight a note in the arrangement, and click on the macro, it ends up applying the transpose to every note in the current midi event.

Fair points. Actually the goal was to allow for it to create multiple notes if I was selecting horizontally in the editor (for example same type of articulation in different measures). Otherwise, there’s no need to select multiple notes vertically since the keyswitch doesn't care what notes there are, so long as one note triggers the switch prior.
Ah, right. Of course that makes sense!

I´d consider usinng Flexrouter inside Kontakt to transform your articulation changes (input with cc, program change, ksw or similar...) to midi channel destination.

The other option would be to load single patches into bank ¨cells¨ and trigger the change of articulations with patch changes.

Yes, it was disappointing to see 4.5 didn't add this much requested feature.

However, the drum editor provides a pretty good alternative.

Because of the brilliant way Studio One incorporates the drum editor in conjunction with easy to create pitch-lists, articulation switching is arguably even simpler and more fun then in Cubase!

While there is no expression *mapping* functionality per sé as of yet in S1, one can easily assign keys-witches and name them. I'm normally using C-2 and onward: these appear then always at the top in the drum editor.

Over here, most of the key-switching is done using CCs in Kontakt. But a simple note-to-CC script either globally or on instrument level handles that. In Kontakt, you can assign multiple CC's to single notes and this gives you pretty much the same behavior as when using Cubase expression maps. An overview of your key-switches is only one mouse or key click away.

So, for example you select a violins-legato articulation on C-2, the Kontakt script then maps this to CCx for the desired articulation and CCy for legato (using e.g. $EVENT_NOTE and set_controller). Alternatively, you could skip CCs and use the default note-based key switches that come with the library, but these often start at C0 and offer less options. Once you get the hang of it, using Kontakt scripts for the mapping part is hardly more difficult then when using expression maps in Cubase :) S1 drummap 1.jpg S1 drummap 2.jpg

Is this possible with EastWest Play?
I would like to create patches with several articulations for keyswitching in Studio One 5.
But I am not able.
To be honest, I upgraded with the promise/hope this would be solved.

How are articulation changes handled in PLAY (I only own the old Kontakt Player EWQLSO)?

I see. Bad chances at the moment :sad: In Kontakt you could use a multi script that maps keyswitches to different channels / instruments but in PLAY there seems to be no equivalent MIDI processing layer.

I see. Bad chances at the moment :sad: In Kontakt you could use a multi script that maps keyswitches to different channels / instruments but in PLAY there seems to be no equivalent MIDI processing layer.

Thanks for your help.

There are one patch per instrument, but none of them cover what I need.

I've always hated how Play handles articulations tbh, but I thought everything could be done with just KS now and not channels. Is that still not the case? I was a VSL then Spitfire guy, so my experience with Play is limited to occasional use at a friend's.... but I can tell you for sure that Studio One 5 is keyswitch only right now.

I've built complex mappings in several programs with Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, VSL, and some others. In the end I've found it's far more effective to have a more intelligent instrument. Meaning that velocities and speed trigger different things, like automatic switching staccato to staccatissimo, having all mutes or bow positions triggered via CC instead of a KS. The reason I say this....

With the current version of Play, can you cram more into a single KS, then only have 16 KS at max? If so, that's not just an alternative to the midi channel issue, but a FAR more realistic instrument as well.. sort of like Aaron Venture's libraries or the Spitfire solo violin legato patch by Andy Blaney, if you're familiar with those examples.

Just some food for thought, in case it helps get more use out of Play and S1.

Do you mean another library?

Yeah, sorry.

I'll spell what's possible for you with PLAY, and clear up what I meant.

Studio One 5 can only do KeySwitches. PLAY does have some ability to intelligently interpret what you do, which MAY help. I'm not trying to sell you away from Hollywood Strings... there's just a point worth noting if it helps you understand what options you might have. Spitfire's solo violin legato patch can trill, staccato, riccochet, and legato. That's 4 articulations auto-determined by what you play. That patch sits on a single keyswitch. It's quite effective.... but Aaron Venture avoids keyswitches completely, because his instruments are even smarter about the performance. Real samples + 10,000 variation possibilities via smart scripting = these examples.

PLAY can be semi-intelligent, from what a friend tells me. But I believe you're still limited by the MIDI channel point.

One more thing....

I meant to say, here are your options, as I see it.
1) Live with many channels
2) Change DAW's (I wouldn't, as I love S1)*
3) Try making PLAY smart if you can use Keyswitches only
4) you could always use Transmidifer.

Transmidifer can convert articulation data. It's not my favorite solution, but a clever option. It's like the FlexRouter suggestion above, but not Kontakt-only. Cubase, FL Studio, Reaper, and Logic I believe all have options for midi channel routing (though 2 of those are only via 3rd party plugins). Dorico didn't add midi routing until much later. IMHO it's all jury-rigged and the only workflows that make sense are Aaron Venture or StaffPad. Not perfect... not for everyone... just the most 'musically straightforward'.

Not a lot of great options with your circumstances, I'm afraid.

Yeah, sorry.

I'll spell what's possible for you with PLAY, and clear up what I meant.

Studio One 5 can only do KeySwitches. PLAY does have some ability to intelligently interpret what you do, which MAY help. I'm not trying to sell you away from Hollywood Strings... there's just a point worth noting if it helps you understand what options you might have. Spitfire's solo violin legato patch can trill, staccato, riccochet, and legato. That's 4 articulations auto-determined by what you play. That patch sits on a single keyswitch. It's quite effective.... but Aaron Venture avoids keyswitches completely, because his instruments are even smarter about the performance. Real samples + 10,000 variation possibilities via smart scripting = these examples.

PLAY can be semi-intelligent, from what a friend tells me. But I believe you're still limited by the MIDI channel point.

Thank you very much.
My point now is to work with the tools I have. To try to get the most from them.
I know the Spitfire Virtuoso and the other available options (SWAM, SampleModeling, those for Kontakt,....)
I´ll buy some of them.
But I am know investing more in learning.
I think that the tools I have are incredible (few but enough).
I have to compose music for getting the most from them.
Sorry my explanation, just for putting in context.
My goal, is to be able to interpret in real time realistic (maybe not so realistic and complicated as the Andy Blaney ones, or yes...) lines.
With Hollywood Strings, and Studio One:
* Cubase users (and Logic ones?) can make patches with different articulations with Expression Maps. I would like to be able to do with Studio One. Is it possible? How could I do?
* Make performance patches like explained in: https://vi-control.net/community/th...llywood-strings-violins-super-playable.68562/
* Try to get the most from the bunch of legato patches included in HO: I like them. My concerns are that, when a violinist in real life is performing, he plays longs and shorts in the same line. How could I do this with HO?
I love my "Diamond" Orchestra. I would like to get the most from it in spite of cleaning my pocket trying new libraries.
Thanks again.

My point now is to work with the tools I have.

A very good man told me to "do the best you can with what you have". When I was 14 I'd hook up a Casio keyboard to the input on my family's PC just to "sample" my own timpani & kick drum mix that sounded more like a gran casa... just so I could make my own sub drum sound. Truly horrible, yet I'm fond of the memory. Sticking with your current library is a great option.

I'm afraid I don't know as much about how to make EW work that way. Asking on that thread is probably the best place to start on that. As for mapping it to Studio One... you'll want to first figure out the performance patch aspect, then map them to keyswitches. As for how...

It's important to note that the wrench will only show up if the sampler you're using doesn't support auto-mapping via VST (in which case you wouldn't need to map anyway). Very few companies bother with that. So I'm guessing you'll see the wrench with PLAY.

No worries. Glad I could help!

A very good man told me to "do the best you can with what you have". When I was 14 I'd hook up a Casio keyboard to the input on my family's PC just to "sample" my own timpani & kick drum mix that sounded more like a gran casa... just so I could make my own sub drum sound. Truly horrible, yet I'm fond of the memory. Sticking with your current library is a great option.

I'm afraid I don't know as much about how to make EW work that way. Asking on that thread is probably the best place to start on that. As for mapping it to Studio One... you'll want to first figure out the performance patch aspect, then map them to keyswitches. As for how...

It's important to note that the wrench will only show up if the sampler you're using doesn't support auto-mapping via VST (in which case you wouldn't need to map anyway). Very few companies bother with that. So I'm guessing you'll see the wrench with PLAY.

No worries. Glad I could help!

I checked those videos yesterday.
I got results from Kontakt instruments. But not with EastWest ones.
Kontakt instruments have preassigned CCs.
But in EastWest, you create a patch with several articulations:
HS Articulations.jpg

You can assign a MIDI channel for each one (in spite of Omni)

And in Studio One you have the channel:
Studio One Channel 01.jpg

What do I have to do in Play?
What do I have to do in Studio One?

As far as I could figure out, some of the patches in HS let to change the Keyswitch assignment. But others dont:
Keyswitch.jpg

And, I think, that keyswitch is related to the keyswitches preassigned in HS (for finger positions,...)

Attachments

• Studio One Channel 01.jpg
    Studio One Channel 01.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom