What's new

Articulation Switch and Automation Level Jump Issue

uptick

Having an issue with Logic and Kontakt 5's library in particular.

I've been using Logic's new articulation feature to switch articulations within regions. This works 80% of the time, occasionally I'll have to jiggle some handle to get it to remember which articulation to switch to.

However, the real issue comes with automation my sound level. I've mapped my mod wheel to automate the "level" parameter in each kontakt track in Logic (one kontakt instance per track, nothing multi-timbral). This is assigned directly from my control surface to Kontakt 5 under CC1 in the MIDI Automation tab. This works fine and reads my automation whenever there isn't an articulation change. However, if I leave one articulation to go to the next (in recording or playback), whichever articulation I left off of will have its level frozen in place until I return to that articulation AND it receives a node of an information change from my mod wheel.

For example, say I record a passage on the "sustain" articulation and end in a large crescendo, showing a level of 84 in the automation region in Logic. I then play a quieter passage in the "staccato" articulation. When I return to the "sustain" articulation with my mod wheel at a low level, it will remain at 84 until it actually sees any movement in the mod wheel while on the sustain articulation, at which point it will immediately jump to the quiet level I've had it at.

This occurs both during recording and playback. I can't recall if this issue occurs with other libraries, but Kontakt 5 is the most notable and is essential to my workflow.

stonzthro

Yeah, it breaks as soon as you add MIDI CC.

Look into ArtzID by Peter Schwartz - it gets around this issue.

OP
U

uptick

Yeah, it breaks as soon as you add MIDI CC.

Look into ArtzID by Peter Schwartz - it gets around this issue.

That's what I thought. Discussed it with someone today as well. I've been looking at ArtzID for a while but this looks like a great reason to buy. Might try making a quick script myself if this is my only issue but we'll see. Thanks!

Top Bottom