What's new

Articulation Overload...aarg!

Synetos

Gear Addict
I have a ton of VSL stuff i bought 3-4 years ago, and really have not used because it just feels clumsy and overwhelming to even try to begin.

Example: The Solo Cello VI PRO preset i just loaded up has 1536 articulations! How does one even begin to use a preset like that? Why even assemble a preset with all that in it? Who is gonna create a map for that, or have 1500+ midi tracks for one instrument?

I am close to just selling all of it, as its uninspiring to me every time I cue it up to try and use it. Obviously I am in over my head.

Question for myself...do I even want to bother? I dont do orchestral stuff. I just wanted to have the best sounding strings for when I want to use them. Learning curve seems steep, and I bought all of it before I ever even installed it. Lesson learned.

If i do keep it, I guess I am gonna just have to make my own preset with a handful of common articulations and call it a day. I paid for a ton of articulations I will most certainly never use.

Okay...I am done whining. I'll just delete the instance, once again, and go play my guitar ;)

James H

01001000 01101001
I bought Solo Strings and felt a tad overwhelmed at first. But I done as you mentioned, created my own preset for all instruments. Very basic one, that slowly grows each time i find i need something else.
Doing that allowed me to learn the program better, easier with a few articulations.
I find the playability amazing with VSL, but only since doing the above.

I guess the perfect answer is, just because there's 1500 articulations doesn't mean you need to use 1500 articulations. Good luck!

OP
Synetos

Synetos

Gear Addict
I bought Solo Strings and felt a tad overwhelmed at first. But I done as you mentioned, created my own preset for all instruments. Very basic one, that slowly grows each time i find i need something else.
Doing that allowed me to learn the program better, easier with a few articulations.
I find the playability amazing with VSL, but only since doing the above.

I guess the perfect answer is, just because there's 1500 articulations doesn't mean you need to use 1500 articulations. Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement! I am glad to hear that same approach worked for you. I bought every string library VSL sells in the full extended versions. If i can t find a sound in all that, I think I am being too picky. lol I just have to deal with it in bite-size increments, not a fire hose.

I was actually messing around with it a bit more this morning and started my own preset with about 12 articulations.

Basically, I like to "play" the strings that are in Steinberg HALion6. I want to then take the "demo" string track apart and play it through VSL with the right articulations and phrasing. The HALion track is just for capturing creative ideas. Often I layer piano's, strings, and other VST's together when I am writing. It inspires me.

I decided to go with separate midi tracks for each articulation. I dont like the feel of the expression map. I made a few of those as well, but I find it ridged. I think i can get better blending by not having tails clipped off from expression map transitions.

Beat Kaufmann

Hello Synetos
Please do not despair. First of all, you need to know that when loading only one articulation - e.g. Staccato - load a file for each halftone. that would probably be about 5 octaves x 13 = 65 files for a cello. Staccato is usually recorded with 4 different volume levels 65x4 = 260 files - only for staccato.

Luckily, you just have to worry about whether you want to play sustain, staccato, détachée, sfz, legato or what ever. As James H mentioned, you can easily start.

To get an easy introduction to the topic, I recommend you my website...
https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/vimidi/index.php

Have fun
Beat

Beat Kaufmann

Here I have a few additional useful links. Although the tips are already old, they are still valid for the latest versions of Vienna.
With just a few different sample-articulations you get nice and natural music!

The use of "dead and always same samples" requires our "attention and love". Then the samples come alive and become music.

I wish you success
Beat

OP
Synetos

Synetos

Gear Addict
Hello Synetos
Please do not despair. First of all, you need to know that when loading only one articulation - e.g. Staccato - load a file for each halftone. that would probably be about 5 octaves x 13 = 65 files for a cello. Staccato is usually recorded with 4 different volume levels 65x4 = 260 files - only for staccato.

Luckily, you just have to worry about whether you want to play sustain, staccato, détachée, sfz, legato or what ever. As James H mentioned, you can easily start.

To get an easy introduction to the topic, I recommend you my website...
https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/vimidi/index.php

Have fun
Beat
Thanks Beat. I appreciate your insight and links to help educate. I just found myself frustrated and a bit overwhelmed by all the options when I posted the initial thread. I actually purchased your tutorial back when I bought the VSL libraries, but I didnt spend the time working through it. I guess if I would just make the time and do that, I would probably be far less frustrated. :)

I am amazed at what you and others can do with VST samples, and the awesome music that is created. I have a deep respect and appreciation for anyone that invested the time to get good at it. I am not one of them at this point, but I have not honestly made much effort to learn it. So, like all things, if I made it a priority...then maybe I could do it as well.

Top Bottom