What's new

Articulate Presets for the Vienna Symphonic Library: NEW unprecedented DAW integration

In addition to the previously released Logic Articulation Set, we have just released a colossal Cubase Expression Map for Articulate Presets that raises the bar as to what can be done with Cubase Expression Maps! With over 100 implemented attributes and directions and over 2500 individual expression definitions this is very likely by far the most extensive and detailed Expression Map ever created. It allows you to access all articulations with all their different versions directly and conveniently in Cubase’s various editors via standard musical symbols (like “-” for portato or “^” for marcato) and clear text (like “con sord.”, “slow” or “2s”)—yes, we really mean everything included in supported VSL full libraries! I.e. no additional Midi events besides the notes are required and you do not have to memorize program change numbers and controller assignments to access all sounds—including phrases realized via VI pro’s Auto Playback and Pattern (APP) sequencer.

Wherever possible, the Articulate Presets Expression Map adapts the conventions of the VSL factory map to make it easy for users that have used it before. I.e. the score symbols and text identifiers defined there are also available in the Articulate Presets Expression Map, but the Articulate Presets Expression Map introduces many more identifiers and gives you thereby far more control over the playback of your music. In particular it fully supports Articulate Presets's signature 3D-control.

The VSL is still unmatched when it comes to recorded dynamic transitions, phrases, ... . They can strongly increase the realism, but for most users they likely sit unused on their disk since up to now they required a significant effort. With Articulate Presets and the Cubase Expression Map, using them couldn't be simpler: E.g. you can conveniently select a recorded fast minor upwards run in G♯ by selecting the score symbol “↑”, representing an upwards run, and the three text identifiers ”fast”, “min.” and “6/G♯” from the list—or similarly the third version of a downward whole tone run realized within the APP sequencer by selecting “↓”, “whole” and “III”. As you can see the usage is completely self-explanatory.

9c133d_2e806784b51842dd96b9356e83ba96ed.pdf

In addition to the standard program change messages used by Articulate Presets, there is also a version of the Expression Map that allows you to access the main articulations directly via key switches. These follow the universal layout introduced by Babylon Waves's Art Conductor. Due to the additional continuous controllers employed by Articulate Presets, a single octave gives you access to all essential articulation versions (as well as the intermediate nuances), so that you have everything at your fingertips.

Since we want to give you the chance to check Articulate Presets and the unprecedented integration into major DAWs out, we have also released a comprehensive Demo package. It contains the complete Articulate Preset for the Second Flute (both Standard and Full versions), selected matrices from other libraries, as well as the complete Cubase Expression Map and Logic Articulation Set. Moreover, it includes the full documentation so that no questions should remain unanswered.

We are sorry that due to unforeseen technical problems there is still no video, yet. However, trying Articulate Presets yourself should be even better anyway. To celebrate this release, we have also extended the introductory pricing until end of April. Enjoy testing Articulate Presets and see for yourself!

Last edited:
Hi Symphonic Riot,

I recently downloaded the Strings S articulation presets and I love the playability! So far I’m only using it with Solo Strings 1.

I’m considering purchasing Solo Strings 2 and Chamber Strings this month, as string products are 30% off in July, to get full playability of the Strings S matrices. However, I already have Dimension Strings 1 and 2. Therefore I’m hoping you guys might come out with Articulation Presets for the Dimension Strings Bundle? This way I could possibly avoid having to purchase Chamber strings and could instead use the Dimension Strings sections and desks assigned to the slot fade for section size.

I’m also interested in further implementation with the solo strings bundle, solo violin 2 and cello 2. Would like to also try with Appasionata matrices but I don’t currently have orchestral strings either. I love the cc control and the coolest function so far is the slot x fade between vibrato samples but I have yet to use the slot x fade for section size. Looking forward to it! Thank you.

Why would anyone pay for this stuff.
Seriously? Have you setup customized matrices of this sort on your own before? It’s helping my vsl libraries come alive and be more expressive, playable, and realistic already and I haven’t even utilized all of the deep PC, CC, and expression map functionality available.

Seriously? Have you setup customized matrices of this sort on your own before? It’s helping my vsl libraries come alive and be more expressive, playable, and realistic already and I haven’t even utilized all of the deep PC, CC, and expression map functionality available.

Obviously I've set this kind of stuff up myself, exactly the way I want it. Have you tried?

Guess it's an easy way to make money though. Kudos to the "developer".

Obviously I've set this kind of stuff up myself, exactly the way I want it. Have you tried?

Guess it's an easy way to make money though. Kudos to the "developer".
Hmmm well yes I’ve put together my own matrices but not with this level of detail or playability. Especially in regards to the slot x fades between vibrato and non vibrato samples. I’m open to suggestions as to where to find similar presets with corresponding expression maps as a starting point, especially for Dimension Strings if available.

I too have done my own matrices, not to the level of these, and I echo Greg's comments on the slot x fades as well as waiting to see if the Dimension libraries get covered, as I am gravitating towards Synchron Player for a lot of stuff now anyway.

Also, I own Cubase but never use it (though that will eventually change), so it feels like I am best off first learning Cubase (I use Digital Performer, and occasionally Logic), getting familiar with Cubase Expression Maps and possibly buying a MIDI controller that takes better advantage of them, before trying out these articulation presets.

More demos will help. It's hard to find time to dig into stuff like this, with so much on the plate, so demos will always cut the amount of time required for analyzing and evaluating the product's usefulness in one's personal workflow and production techniques.

It's obvious that a lot of work went into creating these, so I do not share the opinion that no one should pay for this stuff. :)

Last edited:
Hi Greg and Mark,

thanks for your nice feedback!

Greg, glad to hear that you are happy with the control features that you have with the Solo Strings 1 library alone. However, as you write, with Chamber and or Solo Strings 2 you can shape your string sound in much more detail (VSL Chamber Strings is still an awesome library!).

Since you already own Dimension, there is good news: Articulate Presets for Dimensions String (1-3), that include everything in these extensive libraries and are fully consistent with all other Articulate Presets, are nearly finished and will be out soon :).

The Dimension Strings package will even offer two full sets of Presets:

- The first includes a separate preset for each individual player that offers full string control and allows you to record every player individually for maximum realism (or record one and use the non-destructive editing in your DAW to create different versions of the same sequence).

- The second set could be called "Dimension Strings made easy". It includes a single Preset for each instrument section and will indeed provide full Section Control for all articulations. The Section Controller lets you quasi-continuously control the section size (e.g. 8,6,4,3,2,1 violins) with full Auto-Divisi (i.e. if you for instance select two players per note and play a chord, its different voices will automatically be distributed among the different desks)! At the same time the Section Controller also lets you manually access all the different groups and desks individually for full flexibility. At the same time you surely have detailed control of the sound via VI pro's Humanize feature. With many hundreds of thousands of samples per preset. these are by far the largest ones ever created and in every way stretch the limits of VI pro.

And also Articulate Presets for Violin 2 and Cello 2 are already in the making. they will be added to the Strings S package and will be a free update for registered users. So a proper string quartet or distinct first and second chamber violin sections (created by blending in the corresponding solo violin version as "first desk") will be possible soon.

Hope this helps for your decision!

Excellent news! I think I will wait for the Dimension release then, as those are the libraries I have had the biggest struggle with, in terms of establishing good templates and workflows, so I get lazy and don't use them as much as I should. But yes, Chamber Strings is also my favourite of the older libraries and still gets used a lot.

Why would anyone pay for this stuff.

Hi axb312,

thanks for your question.

I am sure you did not fully understand what these presets can do. So let me explain ...

They include everything included in (typically even several) VSL libraries in a single preset and give you instant access to all articulations via program change messages and controllers. They are completely consistent across the entire orchestra so you can move a sequence between different instruments and it plays as expected (with all its different articulations and the continuous control described below). VI pro standardly offers one continuous controller (cell XFade) that allows you to add/blend two different sounds (e.g. to control the vibrato). You are right that this is easy to set up for two articulations of an instrument. If you want to do this for all articulations of an entire orchestra this will already take a long time.

However, Articulate Presets go far beyond this and offer three (quasi-)continuous controllers that allow you to control e.g. the vibrato intensity, the attack behavior and the section size simultaneously! As an example take the sustained articulation of the trumpet. There are three different vibrato versions (strong, light and no vibrato) each in three different attack versions (sustained, portato and marcato attack) and finally there is both the solo trumpet and a 3-trumpet ensemble. The three controllers supported by Articulate Presets allow you to intuitively and continuously control these three musical parameters (attack, vibrato and section size) so that all the 10+ available sampled versions are crossfaded and you get a continuous and fully balanced transition within this 3D sound space.

Such detailed intuitive control was so far only available through physical modeling, which despite its expressiveness clearly lacks the realisms of actual samples. Articulate Presets give you a similar expressiveness without any sonic compromises, owing to the time-tested VSL recordings.

Furthermore, Articulate Presets also offer the most comprehensive DAW integration out there. They include e.g. by far the largest Cubase Expression Map ever developed, that allows you to access every articulation included in VSL libraries directly in Cubase's Score Editor via 100+ score symbols, without the need for any additional control events.

If you own some VSL libraries, you can simply download the free demo and check out some of the features of Articulate Presets yourself (including the DAW integration) ...

Have a nice day

Hi Greg and Mark,

thanks for your nice feedback!

Greg, glad to hear that you are happy with the control features that you have with the Solo Strings 1 library alone. However, as you write, with Chamber and or Solo Strings 2 you can shape your string sound in much more detail (VSL Chamber Strings is still an awesome library!).

Since you already own Dimension, there is good news: Articulate Presets for Dimensions String (1-3), that include everything in these extensive libraries and are fully consistent with all other Articulate Presets, are nearly finished and will be out soon :).

The Dimension Strings package will even offer two full sets of Presets:

- The first includes a separate preset for each individual player that offers full string control and allows you to record every player individually for maximum realism (or record one and use the non-destructive editing in your DAW to create different versions of the same sequence).

- The second set could be called "Dimension Strings made easy". It includes a single Preset for each instrument section and will indeed provide full Section Control for all articulations. The Section Controller lets you quasi-continuously control the section size (e.g. 8,6,4,3,2,1 violins) with full Auto-Divisi (i.e. if you for instance select two players per note and play a chord, its different voices will automatically be distributed among the different desks)! At the same time the Section Controller also lets you manually access all the different groups and desks individually for full flexibility. At the same time you surely have detailed control of the sound via VI pro's Humanize feature. With many hundreds of thousands of samples per preset. these are by far the largest ones ever created and in every way stretch the limits of VI pro.

And also Articulate Presets for Violin 2 and Cello 2 are already in the making. they will be added to the Strings S package and will be a free update for registered users. So a proper string quartet or distinct first and second chamber violin sections (created by blending in the corresponding solo violin version as "first desk") will be possible soon.

Hope this helps for your decision!

Great news! The auto divisi for sections in addition to individual player presets for dimension strings is precisely what I’m looking for. I will purchase as soon as it is released. Thank you very much.

Articulate Presets are getting better: the year starts with all new presets :)!

We have just released new versions of all Articulate Presets that allow you to use your modulation wheel (CC1) for Velocity X-fade in order to control the dynamics. This is in accordance with libraries of many other companies that you might use, like Spitfire or Orchestral Tools … yet these surely don't offer the same flexibility and all the advanced control features as the VSL when accessed via Articulate Presets in VI pro. The original versions of the presets—which follow the VSL convention that velocity X-fade is controlled by CC2 and the modulation wheel selects the most important variations of a given articulation—are surely still included. Thereby you have now complete freedom to choose how you want to control your orchestra!

A video is in the making and will be out soon, sorry for the delay ...
It's a shame you responded to some one-off forum criticism with this change to CC1. This product is for VI series users, many/most of whom have been using CC2 for VelXF dynamics forever, regardless of the behavior of other libraries. I just bought it and I don't see any CC2 VelXF versions - where are they?

Hello,

thanks so much for your feedback.

Velocity x-fade is the prime way to obtain a realistic performance when using a sample library and therefore we eventually decided to use the standard controller for this that is available on basically every keyboard on the market. The modulation wheel typically has a better quality and gives the player far more detailed control than other physical controllers, like faders, knobs, ... and therefore it seems natural to use the modwheel to control velocity x-fade, which really requires such nuanced control. This choice is also consistent with nearly every other library or virtual instrument on the market.

We made this change nearly 5 years ago. Articulate Presets have been updated often during all this time ... a prime example being the recent release of the High Definition Shorts with 9 velocity layers for the entire Symphonic Cube, which presents by far the largest extension of Articulate Presets so far. At the same time we have strongly expanded the set of covered libraries (in particular the Articulate Presets for the Dimension libraries are very likely the largest presets ever created - for any library or electronic instrument). Similarly we offer by now extensive integrations into four different music applications (Logic, Dorico, Cubase & Studio One), and also these would not be compatible with both versions. We had kept the original versions of the presets as long as possible but since VI pro requires that these assigments are "hard-wired", it was simple impossible to maintain two completely distinct sets of all the presets and software integrations and perform all these extensive changes manually for all of them separately every time. Therefore, for several years already CC1 is (exclusively) used for velocity x-fade. And after this long time you are actually the first user who does not seem to be happy with this change.

Although not part of the official package anymore since they don't include all the many new features, the old presets, where velocity x-fade is controlled by CC2, still exist (for the Symphonic Cube and the Appassionata Strings), and I am happy to send them if you are interested.

Hello,

thanks so much for your feedback.

Velocity x-fade is the prime way to obtain a realistic performance when using a sample library and therefore we eventually decided to use the standard controller for this that is available on basically every keyboard on the market. The modulation wheel typically has a better quality and gives the player far more detailed control than other physical controllers, like faders, knobs, ... and therefore it seems natural to use the modwheel to control velocity x-fade, which really requires such nuanced control. This choice is also consistent with nearly every other library or virtual instrument on the market.

We made this change nearly 5 years ago. Articulate Presets have been updated often during all this time ... a prime example being the recent release of the High Definition Shorts with 9 velocity layers for the entire Symphonic Cube, which presents by far the largest extension of Articulate Presets so far. At the same time we have strongly expanded the set of covered libraries (in particular the Articulate Presets for the Dimension libraries are very likely the largest presets ever created - for any library or electronic instrument). Similarly we offer by now extensive integrations into four different music applications (Logic, Dorico, Cubase & Studio One), and also these would not be compatible with both versions. We had kept the original versions of the presets as long as possible but since VI pro requires that these assigments are "hard-wired", it was simple impossible to maintain two completely distinct sets of all the presets and software integrations and perform all these extensive changes manually for all of them separately every time. Therefore, for several years already CC1 is (exclusively) used for velocity x-fade. And after this long time you are actually the first user who does not seem to be happy with this change.

Although not part of the official package anymore since they don't include all the many new features, the old presets, where velocity x-fade is controlled by CC2, still exist (for the Symphonic Cube and the Appassionata Strings), and I am happy to send them if you are interested.
Symphonic Riot,
Do you have a video showing your software?

Top Bottom