What's new

Ark 2 vs Albion Tundra

Levon

Hi Folks,

Does Ark 2 and Albion Tundra cover the same ground? If you have one already then would it make sense to buy the other or is there too much overlap?

Cheers,
Levon

I have both, and I don't think they overlap (obviously in the first world problems world).
Ark 2 is kind of "traditional" orchestra, with the Capsule interface allowing for some exceptional stuff. I love it.
Tundra is a different thing, its less classic orchestra and much more "experimental". I am absolutely In love with it, but it's truly a sound and a genre that I love.
I honestly feel that with those two libs I can achieve anything I am technically capable of.

So...IMHO ark2 if you want a "classic" orchestra, Tundra if you are into "intimate"style. I would be perfectly fine in living with Tundra and a piano.

If you can get both, by all means do it.

I agree with Vanni... they're different renderings of a similar theme. For me it's more about using Ark 2 "+" Tundra rather than a "vs" thing.
p.s. Welcome to ViC newb... I'm a newb too... ;) this place is a blast...:2thumbs:

In terms of articulations, Tundra focuses more on different kinds of sustains and although it has shorts, they're not really meant for creating very rhythmic passages, but for accents hear and there. With Ark II, you still have staccatissimos and marcatos for rhythmic passages.

In terms of instrumentation, they also cover very different ground, both in terms of the instruments sampled as well as whether they were recorded separate or in groups. With Ark II, you can still do traditional orchestration for, say, brass, but you'll be doing it with Euphoniums, Wagner Tubas, Bass Trumpets and Flugelhorns instead of the usual brass line up. With Tundra, you have the lo brass and high brass set up that is characteristic for albion.

Finally there's the overall mood or tone of the library. As others have said, Tundra is more Scandinavian forrest whereas Ark II is the dark and shimmering underworld.

I have both... would definitely choose Ark2 if I needed to make a choice... but that's totally personal preference and the kind of songwriting I'll be emphasizing into the future. Plus, Ark2 is still on a super special...

I have Tundra, but not Ark 2. A lot of what you get with Tundra is not really possible using other libraries -- it is pretty unique in the sample world. With Ark 2 you get something that sets a certain mood, but its not like you can't reproduce the same with other libraries. Ark 2 has some unique brass instruments that have some good dynamics, but the rest of the library really didn't interest me beyond what I already have, so I didn't buy it. That's just for me though... if you don't already have other libraries that cover similar content, then it may be worth it.

In terms of crossover between the two, I would say there isn't much. I think they each had a different target in mind when creating them, and very different content, so the idea that the two are similar is certainly not the case, IMHO.

So I'd say the opposite to Vastman... between the two I'd prefer Tundra. I don't own Ark 2 though, so take as a grain of salt.

I have Tundra, but not Ark 2. A lot of what you get with Tundra is not really possible using other libraries -- it is pretty unique in the sample world. With Ark 2 you get something that sets a certain mood, but its not like you can't reproduce the same with other libraries. Ark 2 has some unique brass instruments that have some good dynamics, but the rest of the library really didn't interest me beyond what I already have, so I didn't buy it. That's just for me though... if you don't already have other libraries that cover similar content, then it may be worth it.

In terms of crossover between the two, I would say there isn't much. I think they each had a different target in mind when creating them, and very different content, so the idea that the two are similar is certainly not the case, IMHO.

So I'd say the opposite to Vastman... between the two I'd prefer Tundra. I don't own Ark 2 though, so take as a grain of salt.
Nice Avatar tag-line... "Recovering from BF Sales"... :rofl: I hear you on that one...

I told myself when I bought SCS I'd just skip lunch for a month to even it all out... then I bought several more SFA libs.... now it's no soup for me for the next 2 years... ;)

They both have the same idea (only super soft dynamics), but the sounds are dramatically different, as well as articulations and instrumentation. Tundra is more of an orchestral pad/FX/drone type of library, and ArkII is more of a standard orchestral library with individual sections and basic articulations such as legato and staccato.

Both are absolutely magical and I would definitely get both without a doubt.

[Note: I have received free products from Spitfire Audio and Orchestral Tools]

Top Bottom