What's new

ARK 1 Brass vs. Trailer Brass

jneebz

Any trailer composers own both and care to comment? My attraction to these libraries (besides sounding great) is the wide seating arrangements of the players on the stage that fills out the stereo field more than a traditional positioning.

Just wondering if they are similar or fill different roles in your trailer writing?

I own both. I find them different. Trailer Brass is dry, which is fantastic. I can make it fit in a lot of different styles and arrangement.

Ark 1 of course, covers more than just brass, but also offers more brass options...and of course Teldex. It has a huge sound and I love it.

I definitely would use them in different roles, but ask me to explain, and I would be pressed. It is how the moment feels I guess. There are times in the last few days where one would not fit in, and the other did. Different tones and feels to the brass.

For trailers? TB!...any day of the week! It's been panned right in the center, is dry as fu$! and comes with some really cool sound design stuff. The brass in Ark1 (and the choirs) are the best things about those libs, but the Arks are just too wet for my taste. Their scoring stage sounds more like a huge hall, imho.

The only downside to TB is that it's a very small, and niche library.

With that being said, I would take Forzo over either one of them, especially for trailer music. Looks like Heaviocity still has their sale going on, so I would jump on it!

For trailers? TB!...any day of the week! It's been panned right in the center, is dry as fu$! and comes with some really cool sound design stuff. The brass in Ark1 (and the choirs) are the best things about those libs, but the Arks are just too wet for my taste. Their scoring stage sounds more like a huge hall, imho.

The only downside to TB is that it's a very small, and niche library.

With that being said, I would take Forzo over either one of them, especially for trailer music. Looks like Heaviocity still has their sale going on, so I would jump on it!

Hi Mike, for big epic brass, which do you recommend from those you mentioned. Also, why do you prefer Forzo over the others for trailer music?

@Mike Fox The brass is the only reason I've been on the fence with buying Ark1. I have everything else covered pretty well when going through all the playthroughs for it online. Truth be told though, I've been able to get extremely close to what i heard online by blending trailer brass lightly with Forzo for extra growl and sizzle so I'm still on the pass side of the fence at the moment. TB actually blends really well with Forzo, imo if used conservatively

@Mike Fox The brass is the only reason I've been on the fence with buying Ark1. I have everything else covered pretty well when going through all the playthroughs for it online. Truth be told though, I've been able to get extremely close to what i heard online by blending trailer brass lightly with Forzo for extra growl and sizzle so I'm still on the pass side of the fence at the moment. TB actually blends really well with Forzo, imo if used conservatively
Yea, thats kind of the reason why I'm passing on the Arks even with the sale and considering the other alternatives. Everything will eventually go on sale so its about what you are really after or need for your works. And Arks seem heavily drowned in reverb.

Hi Mike, for big epic brass, which do you recommend from those you mentioned. Also, why do you prefer Forzo over the others for trailer music?
Both TB and Forzo can do epic...with ease. I recommend Forzo however, because you get a lot more content, especially sound design content (the possibilities seem endless), which is what's "hot" right now for trailers. Also, I think I actually prefer the sound of Forzo over TB.

I'll have to try blending the two! I think both Forzo and TB are more "epic" sounding than the brass in Ark1. The brass in Ark1 sounds and feels more conventional to me.

Top Bottom