What's new

Ares Son of Zeus (Epic)

e-nemy

Epic for you! I'm new to this genre but I'm really loving everything about it.
Feedback appreciated, especially over mixdown. Still open to any other kinds of constructive feedback too.

Thanks guys!

dannymc

could you be more specific? are you looking for constructive feedback on the composition, arrangement, production, mixing etc etc?

Danny

OP
E

e-nemy

could you be more specific? are you looking for constructive feedback on the composition, arrangement, production, mixing etc etc?

Danny
Hey there.
Any of them, I'm all open to improvement. Especially how this will be the first track of many inspired by the Greek mythology theme. I'd rather work out the problems now then later. :)

I definitely know my main weakness is in mixing. So it'd be nice to hear pointers on that. But I'd also like to do better on the other areas too. Cheers for the reply.

tehreal

Welcome!

I've listened to your piece a couple of times now and here are my impressions:
  • The piece could really use more harmonic and melodic development/variance throughout (it mainly sits on one plane, idea-wise; almost like an attempt at "epic minimalism").
  • There's not much building in the piece. It's very binary in intensity (the latter half of the piece doesn't build to a climax and feels as if it's always at the climax and then suddenly ends).
  • The men singers' 2-3 pattern could be used more sparingly.
  • Instruments are used unconventionally to strange effect (drum rolls, wildly intervallic writing for the women singers). This isn't always a bad thing but it definitely distracted me.
  • Almost all parts rely on short articulations almost all the time.
Overall, great effort. My favorite part is :15-:22 and I think that harmonic progression could be developed/extended more and serve as the harmonic base for the A section of the song. Also the piano there is a really nice touch.

My main advice would be to keep studying music in this genre as well as orchestration (check out the many threads on this site for suggestions on how to do this). Also, try your hand at some Epic Hybrid. Keep writing and having fun! Looking forward to more pieces from you.

Last edited:
OP
E

e-nemy

Welcome!

I've listened to your piece a couple of times now and here are my impressions:
  • The piece could really use more harmonic and melodic development/variance throughout (it mainly sits on one plane, idea-wise; almost like an attempt at "epic minimalism").
  • There's not much building in the piece. It's very binary in intensity (the latter half of the piece doesn't build to a climax and feels as if it's always at the climax and then suddenly ends).
  • The men singers' 2-3 pattern could be used more sparingly.
  • Instruments are used unconventionally to strange effect (drum rolls, wildly intervallic writing for the women singers). This isn't always a bad thing but it definitely distracted me.
  • Almost all parts rely on short articulations almost all the time.
Overall, great effort. My favorite part is :15-:22 and I think that harmonic progression could be developed/extended more and serve as the harmonic base for the A section of the song. Also the piano there is a really nice touch.

My main advice would be to keep studying music in this genre as well as orchestration (check out the many threads on this site for suggestions on how to do this). Also, try your hand at some Epic Hybrid. Keep writing and having fun! Looking forward to more pieces from you.

Pretty amazing advice and direction here, I wasn't expecting such thorough and useful feedback!

I agree with these points. I couldn't quite put the finger on it myself so this gives me a set of answers to methodically work on. Time for me to do some more learning and research. This site/forum is a true gem.

Thanks, I really do appreciate this. I feel quite spoiled as the advice I receive on other forums for my EDM is quite vague and short. It is a welcomed and needed humbling experience, especially before I embark on this musical exercise of mine to do a little album on Greek mythology. Gotta get it right now!

I really hope I advance enough to be able to help out on this forum too eventually. Thanks again, e-nemy.

dannymc

I feel quite spoiled as the advice I receive on other forums for my EDM is quite vague and short.

ah that's explains alot. i came into this genre from an EDM background too and the hardest part to learn was that you cant just keep looping the same 8 bars over and over again, it just doesn't work in this genre. you really have to push yourself to keep things changing and interesting but not changing to the point that it becomes a different cue. all the advice you got from tehreal is good what i would add is to listen to lots and lots of professional tracks in the genre. i hope if you like this music you know who Thomas Bergersen (two steps from hell) is i would advise listening to his work. there are lots of other really great epic composers out there too.

also check out Daniel James, he does great tutorial videos on all of this stuff. but most importantly just keep writing and learning from every new track you finish.

Danny

Last edited:
OP
E

e-nemy

ah that's explains alot. i came into this genre from an EDM background too and the hardest part to learn was that you cant just keep looping the same 8 bars over and over again, it just doesn't work in this genre. you really have to push yourself to keep things changing and interesting but not changing to the point that it becomes a different cue. all the advice you got from tehreal is good what i would add is to listen to lots and lots of professional tracks in the genre. i hope if you like this music you know who Thomas Bergersen (two steps from hell) is i would advice listening to his work. there are lots of other really great epic composers out there too.

also check out Daniel James, he does great tutorial videos on all of this stuff. but most importantly just keep writing and learning from every new track you finish.

Danny

Quite true. There's a lot for me to unlearn. I'm now going to refrain from releasing songs until I do more learning. I quickly checked the tips thread before and some things were amazing that I had never thought of before -- such as subtle variations in tempo.

Yes, I started getting into 2SFH a lot last week. They sure are prolific with what they produce and it's amazing still.

Saw some of the Daniel James stuff recently too. Only through looking for reviews of sample libraries then saw the wealth of information that he was dispensing.

Thanks for the advice I'm quite interested to see/hear your journey from EDM to orchestral. Ciao. * Clicking your soundcloud *.

Top Bottom