What's new

Are there news about Note Performer 4 or an update of Note Performer for m1

sommatixvitto

Hi,
I'm a Note Performer's user and I love it, especially when I play NP with Dorico 4, but I can't find news about an update of NP for M1 processor! I would like to know also if there are news about NP 4.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have an M1 and use Dorico with Noteperformer. It works fine, but only in Rosetta mode.

We're targeting native M1 support with the next version of NotePerformer. While at it, we must also drop 32-bit support, which means that NotePerformer 3 will be the last version to run in Sibelius 6 and Finale 2014.5.

Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA or much information I can share. It's not just an update but a major project. We're attempting something new and ambitious, never done before, and it's still in an R&D phase. Pushing technology boundaries into new territory takes time. I think you'll find it worth the wait.

It is no secret that the compact soundbank is the main limitation of NotePerformer 3. Interpretation, speed, and user-friendliness are excellent as is. The challenge is to propel the sound quality without sacrificing any of that.

We're targeting native M1 support with the next version of NotePerformer. While at it, we must also drop 32-bit support, which means that NotePerformer 3 will be the last version to run in Sibelius 6 and Finale 2014.5.

Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA or much information I can share. It's not just an update but a major project. We're attempting something new and ambitious, never done before, and it's still in an R&D phase. Pushing technology boundaries into new territory takes time. I think you'll find it worth the wait.

It is no secret that the compact soundbank is the main limitation of NotePerformer 3. Interpretation, speed, and user-friendliness are excellent as is. The challenge is to propel the sound quality without sacrificing any of that.
Awesome news!
Don't worry, Take your time to do an awesome update!

Thank you for the response

Hi Arne, I trust that you will do an amazing work with NP4...

Take your time and best regards,

Maximus

Hello Arne,
Thanks for your update! Can't wait to write music with the next version :)

I know software development takes time (30 years developer here), moreover when it includes art!

Thanks for helping us with your wonderfull software!

Best regards and take care,
Gil.

"It is no secret that the compact soundbank is the main limitation of NotePerformer 3. Interpretation, speed, and user-friendliness are excellent as is. The challenge is to propel the sound quality without sacrificing any of that."
With plenty of gig and terabyte drives a cheap prices just go ahead and do what is needed to get the sounds you want...
The Sky's the limit!!

Take your time because frankly, I think the kind of tech you're developing is basically the way forward with virtual instruments and I wish more companies were developing it, and beyond the orchestra, instead of just fixating on Kontakt-style libraries.

One thing I find interesting about music technology, that kinda separates it from other technology, is that whereas most technology is about the machines taking workload off of a single person and speeding up the overall process, music technology is more about piling it on to one person.

Sure, with these sample libraries, DAWs, etc. A single person can achieve incredible results and make a finished recording that would've previously taken multiple people to do, but the time investment to get really high quality is huge because the technology is often unwieldy, still kind of primitive if you think about it, and kinda sucks the joy out of composing.

Something that is affordable and which can interpret a score or MIDI data and provide playback that's at least as good as what can be done with samples currently, sounds balanced "out of the box", but doesn't really require any more input than the composer "putting the notes on the page" would be the real "game changer" in the industry IMO. I'd have a lot more fun and get a lot more ideas finished.

So I patiently, if eagerly, await your next big update.

@Wallander
Arne,

Still patiently sitting tight, here. But this thread made me wonder about something. When you talk about performance (speed) I assume you mean loading times (which are magical compared to other libs). Have you considered making a "lite" and "pro" version? I would be very happy to gain a lot of performance and interpretation improvements in exchange for a playback template that takes even 5 times as long to load for orchestral stuff. The "lite version" could even just be a revert to NP 3.3.2 ;)

Just a thought—DS

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say very good things about Note Performer. Now that I've been retired from software development for a couple of years, I've been able to get back to composing full time (mainly chamber music, but the occasional larger piece). In the past, I'd have to export MIDI files from Sibelius and throw them into whatever DAW I decided to use that time around. Then it would be a matter of sorting through all of my VI libraries and trying to make a convincing mockup. To describe that process as a pain would be an understatement. A couple of months back, a composer friend suggested I look into NP. When I had a chance, I downloaded the demo. It took me forever (about 17 hours) to make the purchase.

Like everyone else in this conversation, I'm eager to see and hear what V4 brings. But I also want to offer my compliments on what you've already accomplished. The instrument models are good. There's room for more articulations, variants, and all that, but this is already much better than the many bodges I've had to do, going back to the days when all I had was a Mirage. I like the transparency of your renderings. My own music is pretty complicated but I can hear all of the voices under NP. And the balance of instruments is generally quite good. I don't have to spend a lot of time with the Sibelius mixer (a good thing--the mixer is so tiny on my monitor that I can't read it anyway).

I'm sure that film/TV composers are finding a lot a value here. But those of us who write for the concert stage finally have a reason to be excited too. Well done!

Top Bottom