What's new

Are there any piano libraries similar to Heavyocity's Ascend but even more?

Here's another piece I knocked up using only Ascend (eight instances) which shows a little of the sound design capabilities as well as some more traditional sounds.
btw. All of the instances are pretty full of effects and so on, and my i7 3.5GhZ with 32gb ram shows the whole piece at 40%. I added Blackhole reverb, Waves Vinyl and API2500 and no problems.

Sounds great! Thank you!

Check Fracture sounds Midnight Grand and Woodchester upright piano libraries. Both are felt piano's but with amazing atmospheric layers and pedal, key, release and even player noises. Especially the Woodchester sounds so warm and intimate.

For some reason I don't like the tone of Midnight Grand, it sounds kinda ringy/springy to me. Is there a way to dial it back?

For some reason I don't like the tone of Midnight Grand, it sounds kinda ringy/springy to me. Is there a way to dial it back?
No, not with the instrument parameters. I know what you mean and have been playing with a high pass filter and EQ-ing to get some of that "ringing" out. It works to a degree, but does muffle the sound a bit. The Woodchester has a much darker/heavier tone, but does have the typical snare-klang sound in the attack. Those are just the characteristics of the felted samples. I wish they added samples or did another library with the Woodchester instrument without the felt treatment. It would make for an awesome, intimate, dark upright sound.

Maybe you should skip them if you have doubts about the sound. It would just be a waste of money if you didn't use them in the end. I'm a bit let down by the Midnight myself. The demo's from Someon sounded much darker than the library turned out to be. Oh well, lesson learned.

I'll be following your topic though, because it's an interesting subject. I love piano libraries, especially the more intimate ones.

No, not with the instrument parameters. I know what you mean and have been playing with a high pass filter and EQ-ing to get some of that "ringing" out. It works to a degree, but does muffle the sound a bit. The Woodchester has a much darker/heavier tone, but does have the typical snare-klang sound in the attack. Those are just the characteristics of the felted samples. I wish they added samples or did another library with the Woodchester instrument without the felt treatment. It would make for an awesome, intimate, dark upright sound.

Maybe you should skip them if you have doubts about the sound. It would just be a waste of money if you didn't use them in the end. I'm a bit let down by the Midnight myself. The demo's from Someon sounded much darker than the library turned out to be. Oh well, lesson learned.

I'll be following your topic though, because it's an interesting subject. I love piano libraries, especially the more intimate ones.

Yeah between the two I much prefer Woodchester. I tried Alt Piano again and just realized it can do something similar to what I want. Even Modern U with delay and reverb can do the work. But I think Ascend can still be useful sometimes. I'm still thinking about buying it. It just held me off because I saw some negative reviews about it.

Here's another piece I knocked up using only Ascend (eight instances) which shows a little of the sound design capabilities as well as some more traditional sounds.
btw. All of the instances are pretty full of effects and so on, and my i7 3.5GhZ with 32gb ram shows the whole piece at 40%. I added Blackhole reverb, Waves Vinyl and API2500 and no problems.

Beautiful piece definitely sold on it now
Mines a 3.3GhZ and I only plan on using a few patches so I guess I shouldn't have any issues than
Thank you!

Top Bottom