What's new

Are there any (digital) painters here?

Do you paint or draw?

• Total voters

MartinH.

I've seen a couple people mention (digital) painting or drawing among their hobbies and jobs, and I'm curious how many there really are. Feel free to share your work here, I'd love to see some of your pictures.

Yup! Been drawing for a while, mostly when I was a lot younger, although took it up again recently.

Here's a few thumbnails of some recent digital paintings I did this summer.

1603591599861.png 1603590597045.png 1603590731136.png

More art is in my current portfolio here: https://www.artstation.com/shponglefan

I'd love to see if there are any other artists around these parts! I feel there is a lot of overlap between music and artistic skills.

Last edited:
Yup! Been drawing for a while, mostly when I was a lot younger, although took it up again recently.

Here's a few thumbnails of some recent digital paintings I did this summer.

1603591599861.png 1603590597045.png 1603590731136.png

More art is in my current portfolio here: https://www.artstation.com/shponglefan

I'd love to see if there are any other artists around these parts! I feel there is a lot of overlap between music and artistic skills.

Cool! You've mentioned a Marco Bucci tutorial on artstation, was this the one?

I have to try that some time. That RedditGetsDrawn subreddit also is an interesting find, never heard of it.

A couple days ago just for fun I googled where the best illustration forums are these days and found a post that said they're all pretty much dead and the good discussions all moved to facebook. Can anyone confirm that?

Cool! You've mentioned a Marco Bucci tutorial on artstation, was this the one?

That is indeed it! It's a fun twist on a typical value study. Though I learned quickly not to use overly saturated colors, since the results look horrific. Desaturated colors seem to work better.

A couple days ago just for fun I googled where the best illustration forums are these days and found a post that said they're all pretty much dead and the good discussions all moved to facebook. Can anyone confirm that?

If anything, I'd blame Reddit on the demise of traditional forums for a lot of subjects. On certain forums I've frequented in the past, the number of new members started to die off a lot in the last decade. I think younger people are flocking to other social media platforms for these discussions, especially Reddit.

Below is part of an image I did for a digital map of Tokyo a few years ago - its mostly composited 3D images and painted (touched up) in PS. There are a lot of similarities between graphics and music and graphics just evolved (for me) through working on music.

DigiTokyo_Mtns_4k__65.jpg

Attachments

• DigiTokyo_Mtns_4k__65.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 6
Below is part of an image I did for a digital map of Tokyo a few years ago - its mostly composited 3D images and painted (touched up) in PS. There are a lot of similarities between graphics and music and graphics just evolved (for me) through working on music.

Cool, looks like a lot of work!

That is indeed it! It's a fun twist on a typical value study. Though I learned quickly not to use overly saturated colors, since the results look horrific. Desaturated colors seem to work better.

This demon portrait started out with me trying that color experiment, but halfway through I switched off the greyscale conversion and finished it up normally. I'm trying to learn how not to lose the loosenes of sketchy brush strokes of the early phases of a painting when refining it into a "finished" state. I think I finally made some progress on that front with this picture. What helped me was starting out in a lower resolution than I normally would, upscaling, and then using the pinch brush of the liquify filter to selectively harden and shape edges without introducing new brush strokes. Then I added some tiny amount of painted details in areas that needed more definition, like the eye.

2020-10-26-demon-copy-5.jpg

If anything, I'd blame Reddit on the demise of traditional forums for a lot of subjects. On certain forums I've frequented in the past, the number of new members started to die off a lot in the last decade. I think younger people are flocking to other social media platforms for these discussions, especially Reddit.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was never sold on the concept of reddit. I wouldn't be surprised if the kinds of discussions that happened on art forums now moved to mostly private places, like discord servers, slack or closed facebook groups.

On youtube I just stumbled over a video that I haven't watched yet, but I liked the painting a lot. I was wondering whether I should post it here since it fits the Halloween season so well, but then I noticed who made it, and I thought I'll definitely post it - It's by vi:c member @Walid F.

Wow, those are really good!
Mine are a lot simpler, but I've recently uploaded some experiments as an excuse to score something:

Seems like there's a lot of art talent around here, coming from a lot of different stylistic approaches! I self-published a comic book back in the 90s, and have kept illustration as a professional pursuit alongside music and video editing. I guess you could say the following is all three at once, since I composed the music in this video of me working on a recent 'cover' illustration:

Great stuff.

I've collected some of my work here. Each of the 5 pages contains at least one digital painting, the rest is Photoshop- and/or vector work. 99% is cover art for cd's and vinyls. (There's a page reserved for my music as well, but that still a work in progress.)

_

@re-peat I've read your posts on various virtual instrument forums for a rather large number of years. Seeing your graphic design work adds a surprising amount of context to your opinions on music and VIs. It's a pleasure to find such beautifully kerned and arranged typography, and the thoughtfully chosen color palettes have a consistently classic appeal. Thanks for sharing your work!

Very cool to see so many people here interested in painting and drawing! I'm glad I asked, keep those pictures coming.

I used to paint digitally and did half of classical atelier, the drawing part, didn't get to oil painting due to illness. Here's a quick and bad photo:

Well, you absolutely nailed the drawing part! Was it the angel academy of art in florence?

Great stuff.

I've collected some of my work here. Each of the 5 pages contains at least one digital painting, the rest is Photoshop- and/or vector work. 99% is cover art for cd's and vinyls. (There's a page reserved for my music as well, but that still a work in progress.)

Wow, that's an impressive portfolio! It's rare to see someone with that level of skill in both illustration and graphics design, let alone with composing skills on top. My favorites are the mock renaissance style painting, the illustrations in the style of old bookcovers/posters, and the photoshopped dishes with the Klara logo.

I used to draw before starting music, but I really want to get back into it...gotta just find the time. Some very talented artists in this thread!

Top Bottom