What's new

Are there any alternatives to Metagrid?

fustrun

Hey all!

I really want to improve my workflow to save time and i saw some videos about Metagrid from Jason Graves and i have to say it is pretty brilliant however i do not have an iPad and as i understand Metagrid is currently only available for apple's iPad.

The thing that struck me the most was the amazing ability to program macros and activate them by tapping the screen .. especially logical editor, this is the main reason i

For some reason i imagine stream deck falling down or moving backwards when i would want to use it so i would rather have a tablet.

Lemur is a nice alternative however it looks more complicated, same goes for composer tools.

I want the simplest tool possible.

I am now seeing that the selection of tablets that are running on android is very slim where i live and there are some that run on WIN10 .. are there maybe any windows applications that can do what i want?

Hey all!

I really want to improve my workflow to save time and i saw some videos about Metagrid from Jason Graves and i have to say it is pretty brilliant however i do not have an iPad and as i understand Metagrid is currently only available for apple's iPad.

The thing that struck me the most was the amazing ability to program macros and activate them by tapping the screen .. especially logical editor, this is the main reason i

I'll assume you have researched purchasing a used iPad? I'm running Metagrid on an iPad 4. I'm not sure how far you can go back. It's brilliant, and I don't know of anything else like it. It's more useful than my MCU DAW controller.

Hey all!

thanks for you replies ..

pardon my ignorance as i have never used meta grid nor the logical editor in cubase but isnt metagrid just a keyboard shortcut assigner? i mean it presents a series of buttons that basically simulates one or several key presses?
With that in mind dosent that mean i can juat take a big touch screen and use an app that simulates key strokes or macros sort of like a gaming keyboard does and use that instead? or am i missing something?

i hope my question is clear.

Taking into consideration i only want to use it for editing and project viewing managment meaning no midi cc information that i want to use.

I’m not sure about this but I have a feeling the dev pretty much quit on developing metagrid further which is very unfortunate. The update with midi faders and other improvements was promised something like 2 years ago now

What are you wanting to use the app for? Articulation switching? Transport control?

I have Metagrid, but found it actually easier to use TouchOSC for my needs. So if you feel like hacking around with TouchOSC, it is more than capable.

I mostly want to toggle visibility of tracks, fold unfold folders and MIDI editing, i already have enough fader controls.

If you are not afraid of working on the technical side of things, Open Stage Control is the one i've found to be the most flexible and customizable for me. It's also free.

It takes a bit of work to get it to function properly, but I have every single shortcut I normally use for both Reaper and Sibelius, all of the articulations and CC controls for every instrument, grid management, visibility, etc. It has made my workflow a breeze.

Not sure if this was meant to sound harsh or not. I don’t feel like search the whole forum every time I state an opinion. I specifically stated I wasn’t sure about this. My opinion came from emailing Przemek several times back and forth. Then he suddenly went radio silent. Plus the fact that the promised update wasn’t delivered. I’m glad to be proven wrong as I use metagrid every day and love it.

+1 for Elgato Stream deck

Story time about my trials with Android and Metagrid in the spoilers:

Not sure how it is now, but earlier Metagrid was using Lemur, and Lemur templates works on both iOS and Android, no difference in file format, at least there wasn't any before. There might be now, i don't know. It's mostly finding an Android tablet that has the correct screen ratio that is a pain. As Metagrid was made for iPad screen ratios and resizing is a big no-no. The Nexus 9 (which i used) had the same ratio as iPad 4s and Airs and that worked great with Metagrid 1.2 to 1.5. Awesome tablet, super cheap. There was some issues like scrollbars because of no full screen mode on android version of Lemur, "screen always on" was not implemented in Lemur and some letter issues, but i contacted the developer of Lemur and he fixed those issues that where Android specific pretty quickly. After that, everything worked great.

But it wasn't for me. So after a lot of searching, Elgato Stream Deck to the rescue. Which is right up my alley. I even use it to enable/disable VEpro instuments with some help from Bome midi translator pro.

Here is how i have set up the stream deck with the things i use the most in Cubendo.

Top Bottom