What's new

Are the 8dio Choirs worth it?

I think you're right. I also made the mistake. When I just looked now it has Francesca for 8 dollars. I tried to add the L8VE coupon code to one of the vocal libraries on sale but it says that they don't qualify for the code.
I spoke with support about that last night. The banner on their front page is confusing. It says the voucher is for qualifying products, then list 8 products that DONT qualify for the discount. There isn't even a divider between the two sales.
Support said they will pass my concerns.

Thanks all for the replies and advice. Based on the recommendations, I ended up picking up both Lacrimosa and Insolidus.

Only installed Lacrimosa so far and played around with it a bit. My first thought is it has a *lot* of reverb. I'm guessing it's baked into the samples because it doesn't seem like there is a way to dial it down. Unless I'm missing something?

If I remember right, most of the patches come with reverb already turned on on the fx page. I think it is the "wonder" reverb which is pretty wet. You have to scroll down on the effects page because reverb is at the bottom. You should be able turn it off so that it is more dry and then you can add your own reverb if you prefer it.

At least you chose to open the best one last. Im not a fan of Lacrimosa....too loud.

That library can be incredibly intimate. Example:

Lots of dynamics options using velocity or mod wheel, etc. Most of the articulations can be intimate enough that they pair with Insolidus / Silka. Yes, it can be very loud / aggressive if needed, but it's got an amazing softer side that I don't think comes across much in the demos. I was actually surprised by how soft it could get when I started messing around with it this week.

EDIT: Important to note that the staccato and marcato articulations are 100% aggressive, and don't really have expression dynamics. Well, there is dynamics with velocity, but it feels more like volume than expressive performance. The 'arcs' have a softer tone primarily - although it's a big choir so always sounds very full. 'Multi-vowel' articulations are very soft to very loud (using velocity), 'sustains' are very soft to very loud (using mod wheel), 'legato' is semi-soft to aggressive (mod wheel).

Last edited:
I spoke with support about that last night. The banner on their front page is confusing. It says the voucher is for qualifying products, then list 8 products that DONT qualify for the discount. There isn't even a divider between the two sales. Support said they will pass my concerns.

They said in the email that the coupon doesn't work on the (idiotically low-priced) flash sales. So $8 isn't low enough, you need it for $4.80? Come on man that's not even a Frappacino.

They said in the email that the coupon doesn't work on the (idiotically low-priced) flash sales. So $8 isn't low enough, you need it for $4.80? Come on man that's not even a Frappacino.
But it's a frappuccino!!!! I need my coffee!

No really, from the way it was worded, I expected to use the code to get the discounted price, or on other products, not as an additional discount on sale items. And? I've bought a lot from them over the years, so I kind of understand how they work. Why would you expect 40% on top of an already low discounted price?

Just a couple of thoughts.

For basic SATB choirs I have....

Requiem Light
Voxos 2
Dominus
Oceania
Olympus Elements
Storm Choir

+ Mystica/Cantus and and choir patches from libraries like Lumina, MA II, etc.

But after a couple of days of listening to demos and watching all videos and reviews I could get, I decided to pull the trigger on this one. And I definitely think Lacrimosa brought something new to the table for me. It's like Voxos on steroids for what it comes to the sound.
Very clear, yet extremely powerful when needed (being still very intelligible on high dynamics) while still sounding surprisingly tight considering it packs 200 people. It also doesn't sport a ton of vibrato which is a good thing for me, as Requiem and especially Oceania take care of that over-the-top sound for me. The syllables lack a bit variety for my needs and the release tails are a bit too fast even in the slowest setting but then again those fast releases work wonders on faster stuff without cluttering everything.

For $98 I consider this a very good deal and I'm happy I bought it. Also, I'm a sucker for choirs, so I guess that normal people could also live without this and ignore everything I wrote.

Top Bottom