What's new

Are the 8dio Choirs worth it?

Are you using TM patches? I don’t have Silka so I’m not sure if those are included or not. To be honest I always take those with a grain of salt when it comes to orch/choir outside of runs, since theres naturally a tolerance when it comes to time stretching, no matter how good the algorythm.
They're tempo sync'd by design.

That being said, I've always found this aspect of their libraries useless. Who is going to write phrases changing the syllable consistently every quarter or half note? You would have to compose with that in mind, but that's a limit that's not of interest to me.
Not useless, but sometimes a limitation that tells me to work harder with the EWSQ which is way more flexible, but sometimes hard to use.

Okay, I went back and looked at them. Insolidus is the one with arcs with latin words. Lacrimosa arcs are just vowels and mm's. Both have separate male/female sections, which is nice if you don't want the full choir. So I do like the Insolidus a little better. It seems to be a Lacrimosa with a bit more. They both have sequencers so you can lump a bunch of sounds togethter. The actual legato patch is just okay in the combined choir on Insolidus. The arcs are much more flowing. I think the problem is the singers more than the patches. When you mix the sopranos and altos and hit say an F-G-A run, it sounds a little flat on the G, but it is really the change from chest to head voice that a lot of sopranos do about there. At least that is what it sounds like to me. And? I really can't tell the difference between the two just listening to the legato "ah". So I might get Insolidus over Lacrimosa. I do like the sound of both of them, but they do sound very similar to me.

I don't have any version of Requiem yet. I may be getting the Soundiron bundle, more for the other stuff. I really have enough choirs, though it didn't stop me from getting Genesis.

Thank-you very much for your detailed impressions !! :thumbsup:
My aging ears prefer Insolidus (demo tracks) as well, but this 'sale' offers at 2X Lacrimosa $$.
Few more days to sort this and also hoping to see Roula added.
Based on your comments, I am much more comfortable now with Lacrimosa.

Regards

Thank-you very much for your detailed impressions !! :thumbsup:
My aging ears prefer Insolidus (demo tracks) as well, but this 'sale' offers at 2X Lacrimosa $$.
Few more days to sort this and also hoping to see Roula added.
Based on your comments, I am much more comfortable now with Lacrimosa.

Regards
I think Insolidus is newer? Maybe wrong about this. It definitely is more, but I get waiting for the price to come down. Based on 8Dios practice, in about a year (or maybe by next BF, it will be around $98.

I'll answer the opening question after I test Lacrimosa.
For 98$ this is definitely a very good deal.
I love the EWSQ and for slow phrases it is an unbeatable tool which with a little patience and a lot of learning can even sing what I want in an understandable way. The boys choir in EWSQ is incredible and my favourite choice.
But with Lacrimosa it goes faster, sounds good and I find it flexible enough not to get bored quickly. Also fast staccato and phrases are better than in many other tools.
Who wants to sing even faster epic phrases can't avoid Oceania.
For the detail work EWSQ will always be my tool of choice.
The combination of Requiem light (which I like a lot as well), Lacrimosa, Oceania and EWSQ satisfies me completely.

I have a 8Dio Choir Week related question. I already own Lacrimosa (which is great) so I'm not going to get another choir library this flash sale but I am considering either getting Jennifer or Laurie. Which one is better and more easy to use?

Laurie is just phrases but they are useful ones...8$ go for it

Jennifer also has phrases plus legato....also worth 38$

Laurie emphasis on Balkan, Celtic, yet useful. Jenifer more operatic /soprano ....
Kinda general comments mostly to stimulate careful review.
Have Laurie now. Adding Jenifer.

I have insolidus, lacrimosa, and Laurie. I find I like the arcs in Lacrimosa better than insolidus, but I use insolidus more because I like how soft and smooth it can get. For Epic stuff, the insolidus multivowels might get lost behind all the other instruments. I would probably use the marcatos from Lacrimosa instead of insolidus, though I also have Oceania and that works well for Epic. I find myself going back to Laurie occasionally. I have had a hard time fitting the celtic phrases into my music, but sometime the balkan style can be very cool. Here is a short track I composed using Laurie Balkan legato:

For this track, I used Lacrimosa marcatos starting at 1:05 and Laurie sustained vibrato on top of it. The intro phrases are vocalise.

Finally, for this track I used Insolidus for the backing choir and ethera gold for the solo legato and phrases:

I have 8dio Cait, but haven't used it yet. I'm really interested in the studio sopranos. Anyone have that library?

One could accomplish the same with loops libraries. I have these type if libraries from other developers as well. They really don't get used. You can take a sample, chop it up, use Melodyne.

Hey Robert, I think maybe you accidentally said Laurie instead of Cait. Cait is just phrases and is on sale for $8. Laurie is $28 right now and has celtic and balkin legato as well as sustains and sustain vibratos which if used sparingly can be really useful. Cheers

Hey Robert, I think maybe you accidentally said Laurie instead of Cait. Cait is just phrases and is on sale for $8. Laurie is $28 right now and has celtic and balkin legato as well as sustains and sustain vibratos which if used sparingly can be really useful. Cheers
Thats the 2nd time in 2 days ive gotten confused. It simply means i own too many libraries

I meant fran

I see Cait https://8dio.com/instrument/the-new-forgotten-voices-cait/ at 78$ reduced to 46,80$ with coupon L8VE (on the 8dio site).
I see Cait https://8dio.com/instrument/the-new-forgotten-voices-cait/ at 78$ reduced to 46,80$ with coupon L8VE (on the 8dio site).
I think you're right. I also made the mistake. When I just looked now it has Francesca for 8 dollars. I tried to add the L8VE coupon code to one of the vocal libraries on sale but it says that they don't qualify for the code.

Happens to all of us :thumbsup: I know what you mean about having too many libraries too:/
I also made a mistake and it looks like Francesca is 8 dollars and Cait isn't part of the sale unless you use the coupon code. I did get Cait for 8 dollars a little while back though.

Site has had some issues and not the first time. I applied Code to Cart with Lacrimosa, Jenifer, and V8P Emperium Choirs Bundle Edition. The Code worked and deducted ~ $ 119. Went back minutes later and discount was removed.
Advised 8Dio and got standard Reply about not 'stacking' discounts. Understand, but their software allowed and then disallowed. Maybe this is happening with other scenarios as well ?? Also Site has been down more than once today …..

Thanks all for the replies and advice. Based on the recommendations, I ended up picking up both Lacrimosa and Insolidus.

Only installed Lacrimosa so far and played around with it a bit. My first thought is it has a *lot* of reverb. I'm guessing it's baked into the samples because it doesn't seem like there is a way to dial it down. Unless I'm missing something?

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies and advice. Based on the recommendations, I ended up picking up both Lacrimosa and Insolidus.

Only installed Lacrimosa so far and played around with it a bit. My first though though is it has a *lot* of reverb. I'm guessing it's baked into the samples because it doesn't seem like there is a way to dial it down. Unless I'm missing something?

At least you chose to open the best one last. Im not a fan of Lacrimosa....too loud.

From listening to all of the 8Dio demos and walkthroughs I like the sound of Insolidus best. I'm unsure how flexible it is, but it sounds absolutely beautiful, soft and lush. If it were at $98 I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat, but I'm gonna wait for a future sale. Meanwhile I'm very close to grabbing Genesis at $199. Seems like a great value at that price. I really want Dominus as well. It's down from $379 to $299 right now, but I've seen it at $229 in the past so I think I'll wait on that as well.

Top Bottom