What's new

Are the 8dio Choirs worth it?

shponglefan

8dio has discounted Lacrimosa for only $98 this week. I've been tempted by it for a little while now.

However, I already own Storm Choir 2, Mystica, Cantus, EW Symphonic Choirs (including VOTA), plus just picked up Genesis, Requiem Light and Voxos 2.0 in the NI sale.

Would Lacrimosa (or any of the other 8dio choirs) be redundant given the existing choirs I already have?

Robert_G

It really is just an expensive hobby for me
8dio has discounted Lacrimosa for only $98 this week. I've been tempted by it for a little while now.

However, I already own Storm Choir 2, Mystica, Cantus, EW Symphonic Choirs (including VOTA), plus just picked up Genesis, Requiem Light and Voxos 2.0 in the NI sale.

Would Lacrimosa (or any of the other 8dio choirs) be redundant given the existing choirs I already have?
If you have Genesis, you do not need another childrens choir

Kubler

IMO :

Lacrimosa definitely beats Voxos, probably beats Requiem Light (though it's still a very good bank for its age.) Mystica and Cantus are a very different type of choir library so it will not be redundant regardless.

Storm Choir 2 could stand up (powerful sound, expressive yet super-reactive legatos, simple and efficient syllabe engine), but its strenght remains in bombastic stuff while Lacrimos can achieve a way softer sound without much struggle. Also, the range of SC2's sections is really limited, that's its biggest flaw.

Never used Symphonic Choirs, so I can't tell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Except for that one, I wouldn't say Lacrimosa is really redundant to your current collection, though it wouldn't be a gigantic addition to it. If you're looking to make very a substantial improvement, maybe save your money for something else. If you've got some to spare, then Lacrimosa can undoubtly be useful :)

dzilizzi

I know nothing
I think at $98, it is definitely worth it. The arcs are really great - really the only reason to buy it. Very smooth legato that you don't get in other choirs. But you are stuck with the phrases in the arcs.

I have both Lacrimosa and Insolidus and they are similar to me. You can make them both loud or quiet.

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
I think at $98, it is definitely worth it. The arcs are really great - really the only reason to buy it. Very smooth legato that you don't get in other choirs. But you are stuck with the phrases in the arcs.

I have both Lacrimosa and Insolidus and they are similar to me. You can make them both loud or quiet.
Only Requiem Pro and Liberis now. Do you feel Lacrimosa can be complementary here as well ?

zAr2

Hi!
I have a similar question, i hope the OP doesn't mind.
I have EW Symphonic Choirs + VOTA, Requiem Lite and Voices of Rapture.
Does Insolidus have the Vowel Arcs (Ah, Oh, Mm, etc) like Lacrimosa?
I'm looking for a 'soft' Choir library, if i could only get one of them right now,
which one would be the best?

Robo Rivard

I got them mixed up. I was thinking you were asking about Liberis. With that said...if you have Genesis...you wouldnt need Liberis.
That's not true. Genesis and Liberis are two different products. Genesis is using sections of boys and girls choir, while Liberis covers the classic stuff, including solo singers.

AllanH

Hi!
I have a similar question, i hope the OP doesn't mind.
I have EW Symphonic Choirs + VOTA, Requiem Lite and Voices of Rapture.
Does Insolidus have the Vowel Arcs (Ah, Oh, Mm, etc) like Lacrimosa?
I'm looking for a 'soft' Choir library, if i could only get one of them right now,
which one would be the best?
I prefer the tone of insolidus over lacrimosa. The demos of insolidus accurately reflect the instrument. if I recall, my ears tell me that the legatos in insolidus are lifted from lacrimosa, or at least are very close.

dzilizzi

I know nothing
Only Requiem Pro and Liberis now. Do you feel Lacrimosa can be complementary here as well ?
Okay, I went back and looked at them. Insolidus is the one with arcs with latin words. Lacrimosa arcs are just vowels and mm's. Both have separate male/female sections, which is nice if you don't want the full choir. So I do like the Insolidus a little better. It seems to be a Lacrimosa with a bit more. They both have sequencers so you can lump a bunch of sounds togethter. The actual legato patch is just okay in the combined choir on Insolidus. The arcs are much more flowing. I think the problem is the singers more than the patches. When you mix the sopranos and altos and hit say an F-G-A run, it sounds a little flat on the G, but it is really the change from chest to head voice that a lot of sopranos do about there. At least that is what it sounds like to me. And? I really can't tell the difference between the two just listening to the legato "ah". So I might get Insolidus over Lacrimosa. I do like the sound of both of them, but they do sound very similar to me.

I don't have any version of Requiem yet. I may be getting the Soundiron bundle, more for the other stuff. I really have enough choirs, though it didn't stop me from getting Genesis.

jamwerks

That's @ 96bpm so
Thanks for sharing the example. Frankly, that doesn't sound bad to me. Am I missing something? Given what the multi-syllable thing lets us do, sounds very usable.

That being said, I've always found this aspect of their libraries useless. Who is going to write phrases changing the syllable consistently every quarter or half note? You would have to compose with that in mind, but that's a limit that's not of interest to me.

Silka seems to be the same singers, same everything as Insolidus, but with more materiel. If they do a super-sale on Silka, I'd jump!

j_kranz

That's @ 96bpm so
Are you using TM patches? I don’t have Silka so I’m not sure if those are included or not. To be honest I always take those with a grain of salt when it comes to orch/choir outside of runs, since theres naturally a tolerance when it comes to time stretching, no matter how good the algorythm.

Top Bottom