1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aram Khachaturian's Gayane Ballet Suite (Adagio) with Century Strings

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by quantum7, Apr 9, 2018.

1. quantum7

quantum7 1 more year until I turn 50...then it's all over.

The string & synth completed version is on post # 13

I'm actually going to put together a string/synth version of this wonderful piece, which is known for being featured on one of my favorite movies of all time, 2001: A Space Odyssey. Before adding the synth parts, I'd thought I'd show you guys the Century Strings only version. There are a few sections where a solo/first chair part would have improved the piece a bit, but for the most part, I like what I'm hearing so far. Is it too late in the night and my hearing is shot....or does it sound pretty nice to you guys also?

Oh yeah, I used Altiverb to put it into a concert hall, and I also used some Slate plugins to give a bit of an analog desk and tape machine vibe.

Thanks for listening! :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    quantum7

OK then, if no one's ears are bleeding, I'll go on to the synth part today. Oh yeah, for some reason the original piece was tuned to around 450 HZ instead of the usual 440 HZ which I adjusted Kontakt to. I wonder if the orchestra was tuned to that? Perhaps the tape was played a wee-bit fast after recording?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  3. jesc126

jesc126 Composeur

Jan 31, 2018
    Hollywood CA
    I love this piece (and the film of course)! I started a mockup of it about 6 months ago, but gave up on it because I couldn't get it to sound real enough. But yours sounds great so far! Nice dynamics, and time feel. Did you use a conductor track or just forgo a click/grid altogether?

Interesting about that 450 hz tuning. I think the instruments were tuned up rather than a tape artifact.

The only thing I hear that could be adjusted - maybe trim off some high mids a tad, or even just shelf the high end of the reverb. I'm hearing a lot of bow noise around 2-4k that is slightly distracting. Takes away from the mellowness/sadness of the sound.

Share the finished track w/ synth when it's done. Would love to hear it!

4. OP
    OP
    quantum7

Thank you very much for the feedback and compliment. Yeah, good call on the EQ- my wife also informed me about the "high mids" this morning when comparing to the original track. This one took a little while and was done via Cubase by just slowly listening and comparing the original track over and over...and over. I will post the finished string & synth version when finished. :)

jesc126 likes this.
  5. givemenoughrope

givemenoughrope Senior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Sounds nice. I have Adagio/Agitato and I'm still not totally sure what jumping into Century Strings would do for me that those can't. Is there something about this piece that requires CS?

6. OP
    OP
    quantum7

8dio has a strict policy of only allowing Century Strings to be used on any Aran Khachaturian mock-up. I don't make the rules, I just follow them! :cautious:

I own just about all of 8dio string libraries and by far my favorite is Century Strings.

7. givemenoughrope

givemenoughrope Senior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Ha. I know I phrased that oddly. I meant is there something about the repeating notes (are these the arc or Loure patches?) in the piece that is easier to achieve with CS than Ad/Ag...

8. OP
    OP
    quantum7

LOL Yeah, I was wondering what you meant by that. :) You know, I totally forgot about using the arcs and Loures actually. D'oh! :blush: I only used 4 Kontakt instruments for it- cello legato , viola legato, violin I legato, and a violin II legato....all with automation on the expression, dynamics, and vibrato. The mics I used were close mic at 75%, decca at about 50%, and wide at about 35%.

givemenoughrope likes this.
  9. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Sounds good to me... intense and elegant. The 8dio strings sound always reminds me to the East European tradition so they fit that style perfectly.

muziksculp likes this.
  10. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Something strange happened around 1:21 I think - like a transition got cut off or something...

Otherwise, I feel its a good mockup but perhaps could be better done with something like CSS (forgive me for saying so, that's a library I own and love)...

Also, a little too close for my tastes...

11. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    I think it sounds beautiful.
    I like you can hear each sections has a specific place and at the same time blend well. Are the groups recorded like that from 8dio or did you pan them?
    A couple of times, in the begining when 2nd violin (I think) and cello play together, it sound like the cello starts a bit before the 2nd violin.

12. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks for sharing - sounds good! Do you use use both dynamics and expression to adjust the levels?

13. OP
    OP
    quantum7

OK, the synth & string version is complete. I hope you guys enjoy it. :)

14. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
  15. OP
    OP
    quantum7

Thanks!

16. Paul T McGraw

Paul T McGraw Senior Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Wow, very immersive beginning. I'm not a fan of synths, but the strings sound great.

17. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Good work with the synths!
    But I feel the mixture of strings and synths always makes the strings sound cheaper (not only sample strings, real recordings too).
    Doubling string parts with synths is like putting a chorus effect on it. Feels like fresh French Ratatouille with Heinz Ketchup. Nothing against synths and ketchup but both immediately drive the whole picture in one direction. Acoustic ensembles and fresh food loose it's natural flavor.
    The musical track is good though. To me it sounds like a composition with good synths and synth string pads.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 2:50 AM
  18. JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    hey! it is a great mockup, but i know the piece well and it sounds too fake to me. I am not discouraging you, i think your mockup is really good, but virtual instruments haven't reach yet the quality of expressiveness of a human being, luckily! Great work!

19. OP
    OP
    quantum7

I totally understand where you guys are coming from with the synths on top of strings comments. It’s definitely not for everyone, but I did achieve the sound that was going for. I’ve always loved strings and synths together, which I have used in my last several albums, with real string players, choirs, and synths etc. For this particular piece though, I was going for a very old-school 70s synth sound with the strings.

Here is my typical strings and synth composition:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    muziksculp and Saxer like this.
  20. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Yepp, I like this a lot more... string textures still alive and synths in their own roles of the arrangement. But absolutely a personal preference. The Adagio is a great arrangement too!