What's new

April 20- update- new track added BBCSO Core brass in the style of classic 60s Star Trek

OP
dcoscina

dcoscina

Oh man, you nailed the sound with pinpoint accuracy! I LOVE it! And do I hear the classical sensor sfx at the end? What a nice touch, superb. ♥
You know those trills in the flutes do sound like that eh? Total happy accident- I didn’t intend it but when I was mixing it that also struck me the same... maybe I was possessed by Fred Steiner when I wrote this. ;)

StefanE

Just make music
tenor.gif

DimensionsTomorrow

Any chance you could provide some general info about this piece, such as a breakdown of the instruments and main articulations? I know that’s probably a pain but I find this so inspiring! Understood if you don’t have time.

OP
dcoscina

dcoscina

Any chance you could provide some general info about this piece, such as a breakdown of the instruments and main articulations? I know that’s probably a pain but I find this so inspiring! Understood if you don’t have time.
Sure-
Flutes a3 (marcato, WT and Ht trills)
Horns a4 (Marc/long/stacc mutes)
Trumpets (same as Horns)
Trombones (same as Horns)
Celeste
Vibes (core doesn’t have soft mallet so I just had to watch the velocities because I wanted the sustain part not the attack)
Harp
Celli (legato, WT/HT trills)
Basses (same arts as celli)

harmonically, I’ve noticed that classic Trek composers used a lot of augmented chords as well as shifting chromatic lines for their melodic work. Sort of a fusion of jazz and Bartok. I happen to be immersed in Bartok lately so my head is already in that zone.

the flutes- though it might be subtle I do change those chords ever so slightly to follow the brass recurring figure. I’m surprised no one mentioned the nod to Holsts Saturn which I used as inspiration for the flutes.

Last edited:

DimensionsTomorrow

Sure-
Flutes a3 (marcato, WT and Ht trills)
Horns a4 (Marc/long/stacc mutes)
Trumpets (same as Horns)
Trombones (same as Horns)
Celeste
Vibes (core doesn’t have soft mallet so I just had to watch the velocities because I wanted the sustain part not the attack)
Harp
Celli (legato, WT/HT trills)
Basses (same arts as celli)

harmonically, I’ve noticed that classic Trek composers used a lot of augmented chords as well as shifting chromatic lines for their melodic work. Sort of a fusion of jazz and Bartok. I happen to be immersed in Bartok lately so my head is already in that zone.

the flutes- though it might be subtle I do change those chords ever so slightly to follow the brass recurring figure. I’m surprised no one mentioned the nod to Holsts Saturn which I used as inspiration for the flutes.
Thanks very much! I’m pretty new to working with orchestral libraries and LOVE this era of TV scores so it’s a great help for dissecting your piece.

OP
dcoscina

dcoscina

Thanks very much! I’m pretty new to working with orchestral libraries and LOVE this era of TV scores so it’s a great help for dissecting your piece.
I used keyswitches a lot for this track. I end up programming them in after the fact, however. I used a 3 octave mini keyboard to enter all of the notes. I used to play stuff in but I found it was too laborious trying to get what I wanted take after take.

OP
dcoscina

dcoscina

This is pretty much it for the first track. Not a lot of instruments. All BBCSO Core. Classic Trek composers had limited resources for orchestra (no more than 25 players per session) so they used interesting combinations and a lot of ornamentation to fill out the activity and harmonies. Akira Ifukube also employed this for his classic kaiju scores as well.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 8.56.36 AM.png

Top Bottom