What's new

Apple m1 macs with 16gb ram handling - Anyone tried?

...wishing the new Mini is soon... needed to replace my 7 year old iMac. My ideal would be 10 core m1X, 2tb internal SSD, 32 core graphics and 64GB ram. But then I need a really good monitor (maybe 32 inch) for Logic as well and photo editing.
Yah I also had these dreams, but thebcI woke up and bought 2020 Imac from a guy who bought it and find out he doesn’t like it after few days. 2tb ssd from apple will sadly cost 6x what it normally cost and same for ram.

Well…I guess that’s where I’m at. Already have a slave setup to a maxed out Trash can but I guess I could get another slave. (Wait, this is not the accurate description , er, what do we refer to computers now that are connected to each other ? (Leader and follower?)

I guess I need more followers. (I’m soooo bad at social media)
Sorry, I have no plans to stop calling them master and slave.

These aren't Confederate statues erected decades after the Civil War to intimidate Black people, they're computers.

Yes. And I know that multi-computer setups aren't as streamlined as one would like, but they do cost a lot less than one super-high-end computer, they do just as much, plus you have a back-up machine if your main one has a bad hair day.
There was speculation (or something) that the minis might some day be able to be ganged together somehow. I don’t know how it would work or if it’s even possible. But something like that would be ideal. Need more power? Get another mini. Something like that would keep me on the Mac long term. Seems unlikely though.

There was speculation (or something) that the minis might some day be able to be ganged together somehow. I don’t know how it would work or if it’s even possible. But something like that would be ideal. Need more power? Get another mini. Something like that would keep me on the Mac long term. Seems unlikely though.
You mean a way of making them appear as one machine? That would be cool, but I haven't heard anything about it.

You mean a way of making them appear as one machine? That would be cool, but I haven't heard anything about it.
Yes, exactly. I could of course be mistaken, but I thought that it was Apple itself who sort of vaguely teased this idea a few years ago. BS probably. Appealing idea though. Don’t know if it’s even possible..

Logic had a "distributed audio processing" feature that would use another computer on the network's horsepower to do the heavy lifting, but I don't even know whether it's still there.

Logic had a "distributed audio processing" feature that would use another computer on the network's horsepower to do the heavy lifting, but I don't even know whether it's still there.
Wow, that’s interesting. Logic is so deep. Old feature? Did it work?

I was thinking of something else, specifically about the mini, implying that they are modular. A nice dream…

You mean the 2019 Mac Pro?
Personally, I'll probably need my 2010 Mac Pro for a while, and I have already (kind of) bought a 3.8 i7 Intel iMac. But I'd much rather have a 30" iMac, or an M1X MacBook Pro, if 64gb RAM is an option (and the price isn't ridiculous).

Does this title in the Mac section at apple.com serve as hint/rumor about a new, larger (30"?) iMac?

new, larger iMac?.png
I suspect that's been there since the last round of 27" iMacs were released, since they rarely intentionally signal anything. We'll know for sure in about 45 hours, regardless.

Better for big things but PLEASE apple dont abandon the Mac Pro....
I always wondered who buys this overpriced mac. Imac is absolutely awesome machine for the price but MacPro? It is like 5x expensive than PC alternative and I really don’t see how can anyone justify this price. Especially when it gets old super fast

I always wondered who buys this overpriced mac. Imac is absolutely awesome machine for the price but MacPro? It is like 5x expensive than PC alternative and I really don’t see how can anyone justify this price. Especially when it gets old super fast

Professional studios that can throw money at this stuff without thinking twice

Professional studios that can throw money at this stuff without thinking twice
Which is like 0.001% of market and I bet many of them use PCs as well for their easy upgrade possibilities. Photographers or designers dont need mac pro and 3D artists need most powerful machines out there -which is not mac pro and also there is not 3dsMax for mac and never will be.

I just priced a fully loaded "current" MacBookPro (2TB internal) for about $4300. Since you can get 64BG in that (and the mini) I'm still holding out hope that the new ones will have that much RAM as well... plenty for me!. It's hard for me to believe that they would take a step back and still call in Pro!

Which is like 0.001% of market and I bet many of them use PCs as well for their easy upgrade possibilities. Photographers or designers dont need mac pro and 3D artists need most powerful machines out there -which is not mac pro and also there is not 3dsMax for mac and never will be.
It is, for the time being, the most powerful computer that runs macOS. You can install up to 1.5TB of RAM. There are literally no cables inside the machine, which makes working inside the case (should you want to) much easier than a similar PC. The 1st Party GPUs, while expensive, don't come with the loud fans you find on the commodity cards in the PC market - they are designed to use the large, quiet fans built into the case for cooling. The 1st Party GPUs also support a ridiculous number of displays - up to 8 4K displays, 4 5K displays, or 6 6K Pro Display XDRs from a single card (and you can install multiple cards). For video work, it's the only machine that supports the Afterburner card, which supports 6 streams of 8K ProRes RAW video, or 23 streams of 4K ProRes RAW video.

While all of those items probably don't matter to any single user, only one needs to matter to someone with the budget for the Mac Pro.

I guess you can stop wondering.

Top Bottom