Apple introduces first 8-core MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by mgpqa1, May 21, 2019.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Senior Member

Feb 13, 2011
    I have the same mbp, bought it second hand in 2014 or 2015 and I've never had a problem with it. The 16 gigs of ram was always a limitation, but it's always done the jobs I bought it for without complaint. There I jinxed it, it'll be a doorstop next time I open it up...

jbuhler likes this.
  2. Damarus

Damarus Active Member

Nov 15, 2017
  3. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My early 2014 11" MacBook Air is the best computer ever.

It's not for studio work - although it's fine for light-duty recording - but it's fabulous for traveling (or waiting rooms, etc.).

There are totally reasonable arguments for that, so I wouldn't say "refuses" is the right word.

I agree 100% about thinner - who cares - however *lighter* (than laptops used to be) is important to me.

karelpsota likes this.
  4. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What percentage of them has issues?

I'm certainly not apologizing, just asking the question.

5. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Hurray for you

I would.

will not ever buy another Apple notebook unless their reputation seriously improves.

6. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Obviously have no way of knowing the answer to that ridiculous question, but if you do your homework you will find out that my experience was not that unusual and Apple's response was consistent.

7. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Did someone piss in your Wheaties this morning?

karelpsota and Soundhound like this.
  8. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I haven't had my wheaties yet, maybe that's why... and yes please stop pissing in my wheaties...

9. Phil81

Phil81 Active Member

Jan 29, 2019
    I jumped ship after 20 years+ of using Apple computers. Couldn't be happier. It took me a while and some knowledge about networking to get VEP to work flawlessly. It was a technical feature that I was unaware of.

I do understand that Windows PC is not for anyone. I'm not trying to be cheeky.

PCs, coupled with Windows 10 and some computer knowledge are far more efficient and productive (not necessarily cheaper) than any current Mac in the market.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  10. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    relevant:

'

By the way, the guy above is the electronics engineer that figured out that capacitor problem in the 2010 MBP's

FriFlo likes this.
  11. robh

robh Senior Member

I was wondering if it was him.

12. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016

So actually this guy didn't "figure it out". His buddy did. He just made the video explaining it that has been referenced by many people seeking help on the issue, and getting none from Apple.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  13. T-LeffoH

T-LeffoH #CitizenSleuth

In my experience, most any brand-name PC build with comparable or better specs in areas like RAM, storage, graphics, and warranty will undoubtedly be cheaper than the Mac. Custom builds can be done for even less.

I've also noticed the warranty service available for PCs is far more expansive with the broader Windows user base. On call, on site support technicians showing up next day to replace a failed motherboard or other components has been a life saver for me when it comes to avoiding downtime.

14. N.Caffrey

N.Caffrey Senior Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Have a 2013 MacBook Pro, never had a problem in 7 years! I'm actually surprised and pleased it still works so well.

15. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

I also have a 2013. It cost me nearly $3K, but it has been SOLID for the past six years. It owed me nothing after the first year, and I know I can rely on it for every single deadline....it has literally never crashed (with the exception of a bad VEPro 5 update). I would never in a million years put that faith into a Windows laptop (I have gone through two of those in the past five years....and just for non-musical tasks!). So hey, if a pro composer wants to spend $6500 on a reliable machine, go nuts, especially if it's the nucleus of your studio. I'll be upgrading later this year, either the new Mac Pro or MB Pro.

N.Caffrey and PeterKorcek like this.
  16. PeterKorcek

PeterKorcek Active Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Prague
    It is true for me as well. Still have 2013 MB Pro and it has been working great, not a single crash. Can dual boot Windows as well for some windows related tasks.
    What troubles me beside the prices is that stupid Touchbar, faulty keyobard, heat issues - in general, not really keen on spending so much money for laptop with these things and windows laptops caught up in many ways as well. Tough choice!

17. mauriziodececco

mauriziodececco Maurizio, composer and piano player in Paris

Dec 4, 2017
  18. Damarus

Damarus Active Member

Nov 15, 2017
    "we averaged a score of 3096 on this machine in Cinebench R20 —well above the 2019 13-inch MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i5 processor we benchmarked that earned a 1779"

lol.. Id hope so, its double the cores.

94 degrees around 3ghz is better than the 2018 variant, but still not great at the $3000 price tag.

Again, you don't buy a notebook for performance. You buy it for portability.

19. Vik

Vik Scandi Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Some also buy a laptop as their main computer, which is why it's great that they now have an 8-core with up to 32 gb RAM. Let's hope an option for more RAM will be the next step.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    BezO and Nick Batzdorf like this.
  20. whinecellar

whinecellar Jim Daneker

Yep. I wish 64 GB were an option, but man, my main machine was a 2014 quad core i7 MacBook Pro (with just 16 GB RAM) for the last 5 years, and thanks to VE Pro, worked perfectly in the studio even on huge projects - my template was around 900 tracks.

My new 6 core MB Pro with 32 GB RAM is a monster, and I can foresee getting quite a lot done when traveling!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    BezO, Wolfie2112 and Vik like this.