What's new

Apple Catalina 32 Bit Obsolescence

The problem I have with going through System Report and looking for "Legacy Software" is that many of the apps I uninstalled months ago are still showing up in the list. There is nothing in the locations listed by Legacy Software.

So program A's path is listed, but upon examination of that path, nothing is actually there in that location.

There must be a better way of sussing out "legacy software"

Yes, I typed before I looked. There are many many less apps now than what was listed in Legacy Software. It's really the stand alone Korg Legacy Apps, and my Scarlett MixControl.

That app does not show my hardware usb midi for Roland or Yamaha. Even if enable all executables in 32 & 64.
So not sure it will catch everything. When i do get brave, I will ensure i can install on a backup HD, in some easier betas some people had issues reverting back.

Yeah Jamie-all of that is my understanding as well, in theory. I have both C5 and C6 running on my machine.

My worries are these:

1. All the additional preferences and extra files that a C10 installation adds-if I want to go back, how easy will it be to remove them?

2. ...whether my old beast will be able to run C10, CPU-wise. It’s pretty much gasping with C6 though stability is great and VEP has helped enormously.

In the long run I may have to buy another computer. I’ve already been doing way more tech than music writing for weeks. I like writing music, I hate tech. Reinstalling everything on a new computer is not going to be quick or painless.

It is what it is. 1st world problems (shrug).

On OSX, #2 is a significant concern,IME....which is why I pointed out that they offer a 30 day demo without needing to uninstall 6. Though I would think a Xeon Pro with modern metal GPU wont bat an eye-I could be wrong. :)

As to #1, as someone who did follow it, Steiny has a FAQ of all the file locations in OSX, however, I wouldnt think leaving them would cause an issue beyond the space used in OSX.

Yes, I typed before I looked. There are many many less apps now than what was listed in Legacy Software. It's really the stand alone Korg Legacy Apps, and my Scarlett MixControl.
Yep, for me, anything with "Korg" in the title is outdated. Side note: Why is ancillary software for music production always a cross platform dumpster fire?

Yep, for me, anything with "Korg" in the title is outdated. Side note: Why is ancillary software for music production always a cross platform dumpster fire?

Unless you need a hardware digital piano....or workstation keyboard. In which case there's not even a close second to the Kronos and Grandstage.

...to be fair, as I thought about it, their computer integration on OSX and Windows leaves a lot to be desired. They're obviously not a computer company-witness the constant issues with OSX compatibility....or implementing audio "for Windows" that was never ASIO compliant.

It would be fair if Apple extended High Sierra support for some years. Some of us can be happy with older systems, but it would be a real problem if we start no longer having security updates.

Paolo

at some point they will stop. I just got on an update on my high sierra MacBookPro, so I guess at least for now they are supporting it at least that much.

Top Bottom