What's new

Anything Glaringly "Off" About These PC Specs?

In the fight against hanging threads, I thought the least I could do was post what I ended-up doing.

I'm sure that I paid too much and made certain un-cool choices. But thanks to the advice of a number of members here, I put together sort of an amalgamated version, correcting a number of shortcomings pointed out by you guys. So, thanks for that.

Some of the boo-boos pointed out were: No hyper threading (thank you, ISW), W10 "Home" (thank you, novaburst), under-size PSU (thank you, Quasar).

I'm pretty sure my new machine will be both a great improvement for me, while still having something for everyone to critique. So it's a win/win. Who could ask for anything more?

For about a hundred bucks more than the unit in post #1, here's what's on the way:

Dell XPS 8930
9th Gen Core i9 9900
Windows 10 Pro 64bit English
32GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
512GB PCIe x4 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD
AMD Radeon RX 5600 (I couldn't talk them down on this)
Gold Standard PSU 850W

Thanks again for all the input.

In the fight against hanging threads, I thought the least I could do was post what I ended-up doing.

I'm sure that I paid too much and made certain un-cool choices. But thanks to the advice of a number of members here, I put together sort of an amalgamated version, correcting a number of shortcomings pointed out by you guys. So, thanks for that.

Some of the boo-boos pointed out were: No hyper threading (thank you, ISW), W10 "Home" (thank you, novaburst), under-size PSU (thank you, Quasar).

I'm pretty sure my new machine will be both a great improvement for me, while still having something for everyone to critique. So it's a win/win. Who could ask for anything more?

For about a hundred bucks more than the unit in post #1, here's what's on the way:

Dell XPS 8930
9th Gen Core i9 9900
Windows 10 Pro 64bit English
32GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
512GB PCIe x4 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD
AMD Radeon RX 5600 (I couldn't talk them down on this)
Gold Standard PSU 850W

Thanks again for all the input.

Helpful Thread as in similar boat starting to replace (3) Desktop PC(s) i5-1440, i5-4440, i7 970. Was getting pushed toward Ryzen 3950x ... do it myself ... and $2k +. Staying with increased fan cooling for ~ $100.

Hope you follow-up with impressions after everything settles in !

Top Bottom