Anyone using Micron 5210 8TB SSD drive?

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
Id like to have both audio drive and sample libraires on this external drive via usb tb3 drive. (i have way too many libraries lol)

Wondering if anyone has it and is this feasible?

OP
gsilbers

gsilbers

im trying to not only stream so much but also using external enclosures like these

and cant find the info on why one says 10gb/s vs the other 6gb/s but both should be 6gb/s.

and i ask this on this thread cause of the 5210 micron
with read speeds of 540 mb/s

Technostica

10Gbs is the maximum theoretical throughput of the 2nd generation of USB 3.
When used with a Sata drive I’m not sure if it offers any extra performance compared to the first generation.
If the price is similar I’d go for a second generation controller in the enclosure just in case.
Otherwise do research to see if it’s worth paying a premium for.

OP
gsilbers

gsilbers

10Gbs is the maximum theoretical throughput of the 2nd generation of USB 3.
When used with a Sata drive I’m not sure if it offers any extra performance compared to the first generation.
If the price is similar I’d go for a second generation controller in the enclosure just in case.
Otherwise do research to see if it’s worth paying a premium for.
Sata in this case would be most ssd drives 2.5. Something like the new mnve would be faster.
And 6gbs is the max for sata, which is what I have on my macpro5,1 and it seems fine although I have 4 of them spreading the sample and audio drive.

It’s been a while since I upgraded anything and this new thing with tb2, USB-C, tb3 , sata, mnve is kinda of confusing.
I just want to hold audio and samples on to one drive and be portable. Not doing large templates so in theory it should work? Dunno.

Technostica

If your system only supports USB 3.0 then this is a moot discussion.
Buy a decent enclosure that uses a modern controller which will support the full feature set and give it a go.

OP
gsilbers

gsilbers

If your system only supports USB 3.0 then this is a moot discussion.
Buy a decent enclosure that uses a modern controller which will support the full feature set and give it a go.
woudnt the moot point be that the SSD drive is SATA and only goes up to 6gb/s? So even with a
USB 3 gen2 enclosure that states 10gb/s the max will be 6gb/s?

im getting a new macbook pro and would like a portable drive and there arent that many w/o power adapter.

Technostica

It's not possible to answer your question accurately as it depends on your actual workload.
The usual bottleneck with SATA and USB is latency unless you are reading one large contiguous file.
So you aren't going to come close to saturating even USB 3.0 let alone 3.1 Gen 2 with a SATA drive when reading loads of small files such as sample libraries.
PCIe drives offer much better latency so couple that with a TB3 or U.2 connector and the performance will be much better.
Due to the massive price difference it's worth trying the external SATA drive as it should be good enough for many.

OP
gsilbers

gsilbers

i just tested the clear enclosure mentioned above and its about 500mb/s w evo 1tb.

i think work load would be similar to most in this site; medium template, getting to 100 tracks or more per project. not too crazy. so lots of sample libraries but not that many going at the same time.