Anyone using Iconica?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Akarin, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    Hey all. I'm a big fan of Steinberg Iconica and it seems to me it's a really underrated library that I nearly never see mentioned around these parts.

Any of you using it? What are your thoughts?

Fry777 likes this.
  2. Michael Antrum

Michael Antrum Only the good die young....

I think a lot of people discount Iconica to some extent for a number of reasons,

1) As it's made by Steinberg, they think it's for Cubase Only.

2) It runs in Halion - which isn't exactly mainstream.

3) It's a complete Orchestra and many people already have many sections covered and are not looking to replace/complement them all

4) You have to buy the whole shooting match. If you could buy the separate sections then I think people would be more interesting in giving it a go.

But if I were staring out it would be at the top of my list.....

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  3. Shiirai

Shiirai Resident Crow

Oct 11, 2018
    As a Cubase user, I seriously considered it when I was looking for my 'starter-set'. However, a lack of useful reviews (and the ones I did find weren't very positive) and the high price made me rethink that.

And now I have my starter set and only need to branch out into certain separate sections, so I no longer have a need for it. And it's still too expensive.

I believe that, had they split it up in more parts and done better marketing I'd probably have gone for it.

4. Michael Antrum

With the exception of East West, what other library gives you anywhere near the same level of product at anywhere near the same price ?

5. Shiirai

Shiirai Resident Crow

Oct 11, 2018
    No clue, but I also didn't say that. I said it was too expensive for my starting-budget and I now don't see the need to get it as I only need certain individual sections. Not to mention I can find much more information about other libraries which makes me even less likely to shell out the 800,- required for the sections.

Also, I've no idea about the 'level of product' other than that the information I found indicated that it wasn't very good. So...

Coming from a marketing background, I'm pretty sure this set wasn't geared towards my situation at all. And for a Steinberg product, I'm rather disappointed there wasn't a lot more information to be found.

6. Michael Antrum

Agree that the the marketing is very low key....and they have dropped the ball subsequently - you have to really look for it on their website, but for what you get I think it is very good value - but they should break the sections into separate products so people can make a smaller initial investment.

Akarin likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    I agree that the marketing is nowhere near sufficient. For example, you can't find the section sizes anywhere on the site which already makes it a no go for many.

On the other hand, they provide a fully functional 30 days demo which is rare enough in the sample library world to be noted and applauded.

Would you mind sharing that? I see a lot of "I've heard that..." but never any source to back that up. On the contrary, it's the (few) excellent reviews that made me get it in the first place (and from playing with the demo, that is.)

8. Shiirai

Shiirai Resident Crow

Oct 11, 2018
    Heh, this was months ago, but I remember scouring a multitude of fora, among which were KVR and VI-Control (before I got active). I may backtrack a bit when I find the time. It's safe to say that I did not get the negative impression from reviews, of which I actually couldn't find many at the time.

I must say that I hadn't considered trying the demo, but then again I hadn't enough experience to really make use of it and it would still have been above my budget. I may do so in the future when I grow tired of my current sounds.

It may (or may not) interest you to know I went with Palette Sketchpad, Amadeus and Sonokinetic Woodwinds (all of which were on sale) instead.

ChrisSiuMusic likes this.
  9. JonSolo

JonSolo Not Han's Brother

Actually I think Orchestral Tools sampled it and Steinberg tooled it for Halion. The demos I have heard are fine. But I did not actually demo the product myself.

10. Fry777

Fry777 pragsound.com

Nov 27, 2017
    A very informative screencast recorded by Sascha Knorr :

11. OP
    OP
    Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    This piece is in a league of its own, as is usual with Sascha's work. It's also the best demo of Iconica that I have seen so far. It really showcases the lib under its best light.

12. arvfur

arvfur New Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Wow. Sascha is the man.
    I love that it sounds so FAT. Totally different sound from OT Teldex.
    Shorter and very different reverb.
    WW and percussion sounds really good, Cellos sound very warm.
    Great workflow using the Ensembles for composing, and then transfer MIDI to Sections and Players afterwards.

Fry777 and Akarin like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    I really love the sound of Iconica. I have only one gripe with the library: there's no controllable sustain on the legato strings. They sound a little flat so I layer them with the sustain vib patch.

14. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Interesting, So.. What does a control for legato sustain feature do, or offer, since it's not implemented in Iconica ? and what other Libraries have this Legato Sustain control feature ?

15. OP
    OP
    Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    Meh. That's a typo. I meant vibrato, not sustain.

16. rocking.xmas.man

rocking.xmas.man Active Member

My Main concern with iconia is that it might be another library that you cant use for anything where you do not want It drenched in reverb. Would you mind showing an example of how close and dry you can go with the Sound?

17. OP
    OP
    Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    Will generate a quick demo with close mics only on strings and with tree mic as well. (There are 5 mics in Iconica).

rocking.xmas.man likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    Alright, done. Here's a quick test of 3 different mic positions using Iconica strings.

First part are the legato patches, second part is made of various short articulations. No processing (EQ, compression, etc) except a transparent maximizer to bring the level to -0.1dB.

1. Default mix, -9dB close / 0dB tree
    2. Tree 0dB
    3. Close 0dB

I didn't render anything with the A/B or the surround mics.

19. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    I just downloaded and played around with the strings. I have to say, this seems to be a pretty well recorded and generally well scripted library. While it doesn’t really knock any of my current fav libraries off their top spots, it seems on first blush to be a contender and the fact that you get the full orchestra for $799 is actually pretty great.

And the fact you can demo the entire library for 30 days??? Like actually download the whole thing and write with it and see if it gives you what you need?? What a concept!

Akarin likes this.
  20. rocking.xmas.man

rocking.xmas.man Active Member

Thank you so much. Seems like the roomyness would not be a Problem for me on this one. But there are other Things very odd in those examples. Worth giving it a try and downloading the demo tough.

Akarin likes this.