What's new

Anyone using ASC - Acoustic Science Corporation? (Acoustic treatment company)

10Dman

Hey everyone! :D
Like the title says, is there anyone using ASC - Acoustic Science Corporation to treat their mixing rooms?
Have not heard a single bad review of their stuff so far, but would like to know more opinions.
The prices are pretty steep and I'm wondering if it's overpriced or if it's just the price for the creme de la creme?
And what would be a good entry for someone with about 4000$ to spend on room treatment?

Gerhard Westphalen

Scoring Mixer
I've only heard them in a recording booth which didn't sound great despite being entirely surrounded by their tubes but they seem way too expensive.

I'd go with GIK as they seem to have nice products for very low prices.

OP

10Dman

I've only heard them in a recording booth which didn't sound great despite being entirely surrounded by their tubes but they seem way too expensive.

I'd go with GIK as they seem to have nice products for very low prices.

Thanks for the reply!
I've been looking at GIK and it seems like allright stuff!
What kind of treatment do you have?
Been looking for some monitor stands and sub trap/stand as well.

Last edited:

Gerhard Westphalen

Scoring Mixer
Than

Thanks for the reply!
I've been looking at GIK and it seems like allright stuff!
What kind of treatment do you have?
Been looking for some monitor stands and sub trap/stand as well.
I use diaphragmatic absorbers I built myself with the help of one of the big studio designers in LA. I think I have 22 plus 2 larger ones.

If I didn't have the instructions I had and just wanted to get prebuilt ones I'd go with GIK. Not the simple insulation panels but the monster bass trap. Seem to have great performance. Acoustic Fields claims to have the most powerful bass traps but theirs are around $1000 each.

ZR Acoustics is an interesting option to explore. I have very mixed feelings. Their products seem to have no scientific backing or any reasonable explanation to how they work ("quantum acoustics" and "quantizing the air") but I've visited their demo room and it sounded fantastic. Alan Meyerson also uses a couple of panels. At the same time, I tried a pair and they didn't work very well with my speakers in that room (not my studio) and I've heard cases where they didn't work very well. It's also very expensive for what you get (essentially a machined piece of MDF). If I ever have some extra cash I'll probably get a pair of panels just to have and experiment with.

ironbut

I think Gerhard's example is a good one to follow.
It's easy to waste a lot of money just guessing what you might need.
Finding someone who can give you advice on your particular room/situation is the way to go if you can afford it and you're after the best results.
Here's a series of decent YT videos:

Top Bottom