What's new

Anyone using a 64Core Threadripper and Cubase?

EPYC is too pricey for this build. Especially as I don't even know if Cubase will run well. Hmmm, I just had another sniff around and apparently both 3970X and 3990X support 512gb of RAM. That would do I guess.

Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 18.57.53.png

Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 18.58.17.png

You'd need 64GB sticks which means server RAM so you'd have to be careful and buy a board that has a validation list for such sticks.
Most boards aren't validated for ECC memory which is why they say 256 max.
Unless 64GB non ECC sticks are already out?

You'd need 64GB sticks which means server RAM so you'd have to be careful and buy a board that has a validation list for such sticks.
Most boards aren't validated for ECC memory which is why they say 256 max.
Unless 64GB non ECC sticks are already out?

I thought 128 ECC sticks are out. More research needed but I'm pretty sure they exist

As far as i know TR supports up to 2TB ram. You’ll need a server board. Some of themhave 7 pcie slots like the new mac pro.

I thought 128 ECC sticks are out. More research needed but I'm pretty sure they exist
There are different variants of server RAM and TR only supports the most basic which are the lower density ones.
Maybe the quote is sometimes shown as 256/512 because once higher density models of the form that it supports are out the support will double from 256 to 512?
This is an area that requires careful study.

As far as i know TR supports up to 2TB ram. You’ll need a server board. Some of themhave 7 pcie slots like the new mac pro.
The EPYC server chips support 2TB but do the server boards support the TR chips? I think it's a different socket.
TR supports half the memory channels of EPYC so that halves the maximum RAM, plus it only supports basic lower density sticks. 256 or 512 seems more likely and if you look at the sTRX4 boards they tend to say 256 max.

"All TB3 add-in cards come with a system link cable. The cable connects the card to your motherboard via a Thunderbolt header. All motherboards compatible with Thunderbolt 3 add-in cards must have this type of slot. Without it, you cannot enable Thunderbolt 3 even after connecting it to the PCI Express slot."

"All TB3 add-in cards come with a system link cable. The cable connects the card to your motherboard via a Thunderbolt header. All motherboards compatible with Thunderbolt 3 add-in cards must have this type of slot. Without it, you cannot enable Thunderbolt 3 even after connecting it to the PCI Express slot."

I’ll just have to choose one of the TB3 mobos then. I just got advice from someone saying this would be fine despite me saying “I believe the mobo needs a TB3 header”. Lesson learnt... “Always listen to myself” 😂

Either way, I will have TB3 no matter what the price.

As an owner of the 3960x I'd actually suggest against it. The CPU needs Watts. Watts means heat, heat means a loud computer. My fans are turning on and off a lot. Also Cubase seems to be an inefficient piece of software. Before your CPU maxes out your ASIO performance will be running into the red and you'll get crackles and shit. It doesn't matter how many cores you throw at it, the CPU is chilling at 20%, realtime peaks are the bottleneck. I had this "issue" with a mixing session, a couple of heavy plugins (acustica audio) and 128kb buffer size. Faster bouncing? Not really.. the CPU is chilling at 15-20% while bouncing. I'd also double check if your UAD is supported with the AMD chipset. Check https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/ar...and-UAD-2-PCIe-Compatibility?mobile_site=true I'd go with a CPU with around 10 cores, fast single core speed and the option to use lot's of RAM. I wonder if you'd ever need 256gb or 512gb though...

I have a TR 3970X (32 cores/64 threads) and a non-TR 3900X (12 cores/24 threads). The performance difference between the two setups is minimal for Cubase which only really utilizes 14-15 cores.

There is much diminishing returns when using audio software with latest hardware. Even with Intel processors, you will run into the same diminishing returns despite paying much more for that setup. Other software I use, like AutoCAD also have the same problem. IMO, it's not a Cubase or audio thing; in general, a lot of software hasn't caught up with the hardware yet.

To get the best out of new processors, AMD or Intel, you need a good cooling setup. New processors come with auto-overlocking features ("Boost") which are pretty good but can only max out if your CPU temperatures are kept under control. The stock coolers don't suffice. I'm using Noctua air coolers on both; they don't make much noise and offer performance similar to more expensive liquid coolers.

Another thing to keep in mind: there are a lot of of peripherals which screw up audio performance. Certain networks cards cause trouble. Some audio chips, like Realtek, cause trouble; even if you're using a proper soundcard, you need to uninstall the Realtek drivers and disable the chip in the BIOS. NVidia graphics cards—except for older low-end ones—also increase DPC latency.

If you're looking for suitable RAM kits, motherboard manufacturers usually provide a Qualified Vendor List on their official pages.

Well I was thinking about water cooling so that would stop loud fan noise turning on and off?

A custom water cooler kit is the way!
You can place the pump/fans into another room for ultimate silence!!

With a big radiator can use bigger(200mm) very silent slow RPM fans

To help with the latency

AMD CPUs likes fast RAM

The best(less taxing for the memory controller) RAM for AMD is Micron E-die chips.

If someone finds a Threadripper 3 build that works with Thunderbolt 3, please let us know!
I would go for a 3960x if I can be sure that the Presonus Quantum 2 will work with it.

As an owner of the 3960x I'd actually suggest against it. The CPU needs Watts. Watts means heat, heat means a loud computer. My fans are turning on and off a lot. Also Cubase seems to be an inefficient piece of software. Before your CPU maxes out your ASIO performance will be running into the red and you'll get crackles and shit. It doesn't matter how many cores you throw at it, the CPU is chilling at 20%, realtime peaks are the bottleneck. I had this "issue" with a mixing session, a couple of heavy plugins (acustica audio) and 128kb buffer size. Faster bouncing? Not really.. the CPU is chilling at 15-20% while bouncing. I'd also double check if your UAD is supported with the AMD chipset. Check https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/ar...and-UAD-2-PCIe-Compatibility?mobile_site=true I'd go with a CPU with around 10 cores, fast single core speed and the option to use lot's of RAM. I wonder if you'd ever need 256gb or 512gb though...

This was my experiemce too with 3970x. I build and optimize pcs all my life. The 3970x was running full custom watercooled with 64gb 3600mhz at 15 15 15 3600 and 1:1 but still latency Due to the chiplet design. I got pops and clicks quite early on my rme ufx2 and still not 100% sure if its the latency or general driver probs.

switched back to intel (10900k)and all issues are gone tho i miss the pci express laned]s as i use intel optane and lots of nvme.

Go with strongest Ryzen and save your money for something else, like libraries! Also, in autumn Ryzen series 4000 comes out which will have (accoring to rumours on hw sites) like 30 to 40% more power than gen 3!

Source?

30-40% on the same architecture as it’s predecessor seems to be very unlikely.

This was my experiemce too with 3970x. I build and optimize pcs all my life. The 3970x was running full custom watercooled with 64gb 3600mhz at 15 15 15 3600 and 1:1 but still latency Due to the chiplet design. I got pops and clicks quite early on my rme ufx2 and still not 100% sure if its the latency or general driver probs.

switched back to intel (10900k)and all issues are gone tho i miss the pci express laned]s as i use intel optane and lots of nvme.
Awe that's too bad. If you had put in a 3700x chip you would not have had any core latency issues. Apparently the 3900x still suffered from core latency at least at low buffer settings.

Did you end up selling your 3970x machine?

Top Bottom