What's new

Anyone tried the new Spitfire "studio" series?

I picked up the Studio Strings (basic) as part of the Wish List campaign. I've only been using it for a few days, but if I knew then what I knew now I'd probably buy it at full price. It sounds lovely, and I am growing more comfortable with their articulation management approach.

All the articulations sound great - and that's really the most important thing. The legato works well, and is very easy to "play". I like the shorts, they compliment (nicely) shorts from Adagio or Cinematic Studio Strings. And the effects and ornamentations add quite a bit of character. I mean a LOT. I'm also really pleased to see violins 1 and 2, not every string library does that.

The library blends nicely with Cinematic Studio Strings - I half expected the two rooms to clash, but they don't, they create a third, unique space. That space will probably be too heavy handed for most of my work, but by switching to close microphones I can craft the space, at least a little bit.

There is no perfect library for any instrument. I've accepted that I will need more than one library for each instrument family - I'm not thrilled about that, but it just seems to be the way it is. Spitfire Studio Strings has proven to be a very nice addition.

There are two editions - basic and professional - for now I don't see a compelling argument to upgrade to the professional edition, that could change.

The only downside I can see is now I am considering their Studio Brass library<G>!

Someone from Spitfire already said the Woodwinds are completed and in testing :).
Paul’s demo for the Studio Brass uses the not yet released Studio Woodwinds. He talks about the woodwinds m briefly in his YouTube walkthrough of the brass demo. (I think that walkthrough is on his own YouTube channel rather than the Spitfire one.)

Do I recall correctly that CH also said something about a notable 'loyalty' Upgrade for current SStS and Brass adopters ?

Do I recall correctly that CH also said something about a notable 'loyalty' Upgrade for current SStS and Brass adopters ?
Yes, CH said cheapest way to obtain full Studio series was Studio Strings with wish list, Studio Brass on intro and that there would then be a special deal to complete bundle on intro discount for woodwinds.

:crying: missed recent SSt 'deals', but wonder if current 'Core' pricing may still be offset nicely by SStWW complete Bundle future offer. Now @ $448. so pondering a bit.

I picked up the Studio Strings (basic) as part of the Wish List campaign. I've only been using it for a few days, but if I knew then what I knew now I'd probably buy it at full price. It sounds lovely, and I am growing more comfortable with their articulation management approach.

All the articulations sound great - and that's really the most important thing. The legato works well, and is very easy to "play". I like the shorts, they compliment (nicely) shorts from Adagio or Cinematic Studio Strings. And the effects and ornamentations add quite a bit of character. I mean a LOT. I'm also really pleased to see violins 1 and 2, not every string library does that.

The library blends nicely with Cinematic Studio Strings - I half expected the two rooms to clash, but they don't, they create a third, unique space. That space will probably be too heavy handed for most of my work, but by switching to close microphones I can craft the space, at least a little bit.

There is no perfect library for any instrument. I've accepted that I will need more than one library for each instrument family - I'm not thrilled about that, but it just seems to be the way it is. Spitfire Studio Strings has proven to be a very nice addition.

There are two editions - basic and professional - for now I don't see a compelling argument to upgrade to the professional edition, that could change.

The only downside I can see is now I am considering their Studio Brass library<G>!

Hi Bill, the only thing I worry about with Spitfire is that they don't "finish" their libraries. I was all-in on the big orchestra. $8K + But they never fixed many of the programming problems. (perfect example is the sound of violin or viola bows being set down as a click,click,click,click etc, etc after a semi fast run at the end of a mastered cue) And they pulled a Vienna Orchestra by asking me to buy it again after they repackaged it. I swore off of anything Spitfire.
But the studio configuration sounds like it would be very useful.
Do you think they have changed their ways and are responding to programming problems better? Maybe that's a loaded question...

I picked up the SStS pro on the wish list. I'm liking everything about it but one thing. The divisi strings are one of the features which attracted me to this product. So when I load up the "normal 8 player" violins, there are tons of articulations to choose from. For instance I have the strings playing CS tremolo, but when I do divisi on the first violins, in the smaller 4 player groups, there are only 7 articulations to choose from. I didn't realize that when I made the purchase.

I doubt if they will ever change this, but keeping the same list of articulations between full and divisi patches should have been an obvious decision to include in this library.

Do you think they have changed their ways and are responding to programming problems better? Maybe that's a loaded question...
Well some criticism for SSt libraries was raised and Spitfire guys said they'll look into it and fix some things. Now we can just wait and see how the situation will turn out. How many things will they repair, etc.

I got the Strings and liking the vibe and range of articulations etc. But I am having a very hard time with timing on the shorts, as well as some weird loops on longs and legatos which I think turns out to be true on some mics and not others... But 1) it's early yet and 2) I suck, so will post further as I work more with it...

Last edited:
:crying: missed recent SSt 'deals', but wonder if current 'Core' pricing may still be offset nicely by SStWW complete Bundle future offer. Now @ $448. so pondering a bit.
When Studio woodwinds are released there will certainly be a bundle. My guess is normal price for bundle will be roughly 20% off the three libraries together. The woodwind library itself will likely be offered on intro at 25% off. How they will handle bundles and completion of bundles during intro is less clear to me.

Well some criticism for SSt libraries was raised and Spitfire guys said they'll look into it and fix some things. Now we can just wait and see how the situation will turn out. How many things will they repair, etc.
I’ve found SF does routine maintenance and they do fix some things. Other things, for whatever reason, they never fix. (Or at least it’s been years since the problem was reported and it’s still not fixed.) This is largely the case with every sample library I own, and SF’s maintenance has generally been better overall than most.

I got the Strings and liking the vibe and range of articulations etc. But I am having a very hard time timing on the shorts, as well as some weird loops on longs and legatos which I think turns out to be true on some mics and not others... But 1) it's early yet and 2) I suck, so will post further as I work more with it...
While you may "suck," so does the way SF handles short articulations. I like their idea of "musically loose," I think their programmers should have a range of milliseconds on the head of shorts. The violas in the big lib were terrible. You have to find the magic number of shorts in the round robin. That's the only simple control you have over this issue. My ears are not good enough to play and find out which short is the one the is off time.
(edit) this, BTW is what makes SF the most difficult and time consuming libraries to work with. Always dealing with little niggles and work arounds which totally corrupts the creative process. (Love the sound)

While you may "suck," so does the way SF handles short articulations. I like their idea of "musically loose," I think their programmers should have a range of milliseconds on the head of shorts. The violas in the big lib were terrible. You have to find the magic number of shorts in the round robin. That's the only simple control you have over this issue. My ears are not good enough to play and find out which short is the one the is off time.
(edit) this, BTW is what makes SF the most difficult and time consuming libraries to work with. Always dealing with little niggles and work arounds which totally corrupts the creative process. (Love the sound)
Lol, this issue plagued me for weeks before I finally decided to ask a forum. Never knew there was a tweak feature that allows you to cut out that $!&*ing slow RR. Man it was so annoying. Really can't see any reason other than neglect why that would wind up in the product.

I'll probably buy the studio woodwinds when(and if) they come out soon, because it will undoubtedly be cheaper than berlin woodwinds(which I'd buy right now if I had the money) and will probably also come out sooner than cinematic studio woodwinds.

Is that the COG you used to do that?

Lol, this issue plagued me for weeks before I finally decided to ask a forum. Never knew there was a tweak feature that allows you to cut out that $!&*ing slow RR. Man it was so annoying. Really can't see any reason other than neglect why that would wind up in the product.

I bought Brass Core and Strings Pro. Love the sound and the huge amount of patches. Hope there will be some legato fixes in the (near) future, and maybe more articulations for the divisi sections.

Pity that the legatos don't go up the full dynamic range, only the sustains have real fortissimo.

Looking forward to the woodwinds, instant buy for me.

Is that the COG you used to do that?
Yep. COG tweak > tweak last played note > skip this RR

Would probably save rJames some grief doing it like that, rather than playing with the RR count. Much quicker and you save the rest of your RRs.

But again, it shouldn't be there in the first place...

Last edited:
Top Bottom