What's new

Anyone still using Touch OSC?

Oh my word yes - I’ve used it daily for 10 years now and I’d be lost without it. It’s just so easy to create and edit custom templates for it. I do wish it had a few more features like a wider color palette, advanced graphics, etc., but for what it does, it’s crucial for me...

I'd love to continue using it but the editor doesn't work anymore (the buttons don't do anything, can't save/load/sync), and support has not responded. Anyone else have this problem (Windows 10 x64) and been able to find a solution? Same results running the .exe or the .jar, tried compatibility mode to no avail.

Last edited:
I just used the editor yesterday to modify one of my tabs and worked fine. Also running Win10 64bit.
The editor is installed in the x86 program folder so it is a 32 bit program but that shouldn't matter. Have you tried setting it to run as administrator? I have mine set to run as administrator when I start it. Not sure if it will matter, but worth a shot.

Here's the UI I'm working on - still testing out the usability, but so far, so good. Works like a charm and
setting up was a breeze. I also created an Excel sheet to keep track of all the buttons and what they're routed to, because A - I like to keep things organized and easy to track and C; I guess I'm a giant nerd.

I switched over to TouchOSC from Lemur a few weeks ago, because it made me want to scoop out my eyes with a rusty spoon on more than one occasion.

So yeah - a bunch of tabs as you can see. With 2-way communication where needed.
I ditched the ability to select articulations - turns out nine out of ten times I just draw them in in the Key Editor, so there you go.

I think TouchOSC is great and super easy to use. If anyone's interested - I wouldn't mind sharing the template.

20201215_035316.jpg

20201215_035340.jpg

20201215_035352.jpg

20201215_035409.jpg

20201215_035422 (2).jpg

1/2.......

:whistling: :2thumbs:

Here's the UI I'm working on - still testing out the usability, but so far, so good. Works like a charm and
setting up was a breeze. I also created an Excel sheet to keep track of all the buttons and what they're routed to, because A - I like to keep things organized and easy to track and C; I guess I'm a giant nerd.

I switched over to TouchOSC from Lemur a few weeks ago, because it made me want to scoop out my eyes with a rusty spoon on more than one occasion.

So yeah - a bunch of tabs as you can see. With 2-way communication where needed.
I ditched the ability to select articulations - turns out nine out of ten times I just draw them in in the Key Editor, so there you go.

I think TouchOSC is great and super easy to use. If anyone's interested - I wouldn't mind sharing the template.

20201215_035316.jpg

20201215_035340.jpg

20201215_035352.jpg

20201215_035409.jpg

20201215_035422 (2).jpg

1/2.......

:whistling: :2thumbs:

2/2.....

20201215_035434 (2).jpg

20201215_035530.jpg

20201215_035550.jpg

20201215_035628.jpg

Some great layout ideas, congrats. If you could share the files, that would be great. I’m always packing things a little too tight, and your use of space makes it looks better organized at a glance.

It takes a bit to get use to the process of design, upload, test out, redesign... but I was able to make controllers for Kontakt instruments that we intergrated into a released product a few years ago. Not sure how many are using TouchOSC, but it definitely added better usability to instruments like Thrill and Masteria (Big X-Y pad with controllers). I thought the idea of a free control app added a lot of value to the product.

Some great layout ideas, congrats. If you could share the files, that would be great. I’m always packing things a little too tight, and your use of space makes it looks better organized at a glance.

It takes a bit to get use to the process of design, upload, test out, redesign... but I was able to make controllers for Kontakt instruments that we intergrated into a released product a few years ago. Not sure how many are using TouchOSC, but it definitely added better usability to instruments like Thrill and Masteria (Big X-Y pad with controllers). I thought the idea of a free control app added a lot of value to the product.

Thanks! Here you go. I also added my Excel sheet and generic remotes - maybe those'll help as well.
I'm still working on it, as you can see. ;)

Cheers. 🤟

Attachments

• MSHIP_TouchOSC_v1.0.zip
    74 KB · Views: 108
I'm not sure whether this question is better suited as a new thread or whether it's appropriate to put here.

I've got an Amazon Fire, Windows 10, and Reaper. Got TouchOSC and Reaper happily sends messages to the Fire (just using the Logicpad setting now). But nothing that I do on the Fire is transferred to the computer and Reaper. I cannot get any response from the "Listen" button in Reaper, so it seems that no information is being transferred from the Tablet. Or, perhaps the info is being transferred and the computer is not receiving it or it is blocking it.

I have opened up ports, at one point I totally disabled Firewall, Antivirus, and Malware programs so my computer was totally open. Still the same result--Reaper sends to the tablet, but Reaper is not getting info from the tablet.

I do have touchosc bridge running and touchosc set up in Reaper as an input. Incidentally I also set it up as an output, but sending info to the tablet doesn't seem to be the problem (and was working even before I set touchosc up as an output.)

I feel like I'm missing something super obvious! Those of you who have two way communication (especially if you have Reaper)--any insight? Did your's just work right away?

Thanks much all!

It will be interesting to see if anyone else has input. I use Cubase but always found 2-way communication problematic so just left it as an input only midi controller. With fader or knob control the feedback from Cubase would fight with the input from the tablet. I could get button state information back from Cubase to the tablet to show button status but then couldn't use faders or knobs with any precision at all.

But, just using TouchOSC Bridge as the input and output device on the Generic Midi controller in Cubase did not give 2-way communication. Don't know why but it didn't. I had to route information through a dummy midi channel and out a virtual midi port and...quite frankly it was such a convoluted mess I cannot even remember how I did it. But, as I said, it was too problematic to be functional. The issue is that Bridge is 2-way communication BUT can only communicate one way at a time. I set the faders and knobs as "pick-up" in Cubase so I do not get the jump in movement in Cubase when I touch it.

Probably the best analogy I could give based on my observation is that Bridge is acting like a traffic cop on a one lane road where the 2-way traffic has to stop and go periodically as the officer lets it. So, due to the midi road rage developing, I decided to make it a one-way street and put the officer on desk duty. It may not be accurate, but that's what it looked like. :)

I've been recently getting into TouchOSC and OSCulator for some hands-on Logic control. Here's where I'm at so far, running TouchOSC on an old iPad (1st gen Air!) via the amazing (but woefully under-supported) OSCulator:

IMG_2803.jpg

My finest achievement to date is probably the "velocity fix" slider and button on the first page - when you click that button, all MIDI input fixes to the velocity value that you dial in with the slider, which also updates the value of the label from 0-127 so you can dial in precise velocities; super useful for percussion multis to get just the right sample triggered. It does require a bit of a build in the Logic MIDI Environment but I'm happy to share with anyone who's interested.

However I'm having a bit of an issue with the second page - it was previously working fine and then I took a little bit of a break. Hooked it back up and for some reason Logic isn't recognising any keypresses/keybord shortcuts from Osculator (all the buttons on page 2 are mapped to simple keyboard shortcuts, no MIDI). I've detailed it in a thread here if anyone thinks they might be able to help! I can't think what has changed other than probably a few system updates. Is it possible something has broken Logic's ability to "receive" virtual keystrokes or something? Very odd as the rest of the template is working a treat.

Also, would love to know what people's most useful TouchOSC hacks/shortcuts/controllers are for Logic, as I have quite a lot of blank space left to fill... :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 17
I've been recently getting into TouchOSC and OSCulator for some hands-on Logic control. Here's where I'm at so far, running TouchOSC on an old iPad (1st gen Air!) via the amazing (but woefully under-supported) OSCulator:

IMG_2803.jpg

My finest achievement to date is probably the "velocity fix" slider and button on the first page - when you click that button, all MIDI input fixes to the velocity value that you dial in with the slider, which also updates the value of the label from 0-127 so you can dial in precise velocities; super useful for percussion multis to get just the right sample triggered. It does require a bit of a build in the Logic MIDI Environment but I'm happy to share with anyone who's interested.

However I'm having a bit of an issue with the second page - it was previously working fine and then I took a little bit of a break. Hooked it back up and for some reason Logic isn't recognising any keypresses/keybord shortcuts from Osculator (all the buttons on page 2 are mapped to simple keyboard shortcuts, no MIDI). I've detailed it in a thread here if anyone thinks they might be able to help! I can't think what has changed other than probably a few system updates. Is it possible something has broken Logic's ability to "receive" virtual keystrokes or something? Very odd as the rest of the template is working a treat.

Also, would love to know what people's most useful TouchOSC hacks/shortcuts/controllers are for Logic, as I have quite a lot of blank space left to fill... :cool:
[In Cartman's voice:] 'Sweeeet!' 👍🏻

Maybe I'm behind the times, but has anyone discovered using TouchOSC as a Mackie controller? I have been playing around with this for the past few weeks and have a screen set up on an old iPad with 8 faders, 8 v-pots, a scrub(?) wheel, bunch of buttons, and LED feedback. (See pic) Using Cubase.

By using a virtual midi cable (such as LoopMidi), I can send the output from Cubase to the cable. Then using MidiTools from Mountain Utilities, I can connect their virtual Mackie screen to the virtual midi cable. Then I use BOME Midi Translator Classic with midi cable as input and TouchOSC as output. I found the translator only needed IF you want the virtual Mackie screen and/or the pan position of Center to show up properly on TouchOSC. If you don't want those, then seems setting midi out to TouchOSC works great also.

I found that the V-pot LED returns seem to be values 17-26 on the appropriate CC. However a value of "Center" is 86. That is why you see the pan position in channels 3-8 appear to be hard right. Channels 1 and 2 are slightly off "C". This picture was taken when I had Cubase's Mackie out connected directly to TouchOSC instead of the virtual midi cable. I use the translator to translate the value of 86 to 22 on those LED's to put the LED in the center.

I can bank and channel left and right and watch the indicators in Cubase move with my button presses. The faders and pan positions also change with the grouping (just like it were motorized faders:2thumbs:). When I touch a fader, Cubase will move the selection to that channel. The faders are set to "Relative" in TouchOSC so I can grab the fader anywhere on the fader and start moving it from its current position without the annoying "jump" in value.

Faders use Pitchwheel for channels 1-8 and set to "Relatvie" to keep a full head of hair. If you want, pitchwheel for channel 9 is set to the Stereo Out control.

V-pots are encoders using value on Channel 1, CC's 16-23 (typically range is 0 to 127 but for the vpots use 65 to 1 to make work properly)

Scrub wheel is encoder using value on channel 1, CC60 (again, range of 65 to 1)

Buttons get a bit trickier. In TouchOSC set them up as "Touch" and "System Exclusive" with a message of 90ii7F where ii is the note ID (Appendix C from https://web.archive.org/web/20130402181113/https://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Logic7_DedicatedCntrlSurfaceInfo.pdf) (Appendix B is quite helpful also) For Cubase anyway, use https://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/steinberger/cubase_studio_4/mackie_control_studio/mackie_control_studio.pdf (<span style="color: rgb(84, 172, 210)">https://www.synthmanuals.com/manuals/steinberger/cubase_studio_4/mackie_control_studio/mackie_control_studio.pdf</span>) to convert the Logic control to Cubase control. The ID descriptions in the Logic manual do not necessarily correspond 1 to 1 with Cubase function. In hindsight, you might be able to set buttons using NOTE in TouchOSC but I already started down the sysex path and found it much quicker and easier to set buttons. Also "Local Feedback Off" is checked.

V-Pot pan LED feedback uses the same channel and CC but range is 17 to 27 and convert value 86 to value 22 in BOME.

For button LED feedback set TouchOSC to Value and Note with channel 1, Note ID, and range 0 to 127. Here, Note ID is the ID from the logic document but you need to convert the hexadecimal ID value to decimal to set the Note in TouchOSC. Windows calculator set to Programming mode works great for that or do it manually because math is fun. :thumbsup:

Just playing around with BOME's pro trial version, I can see where some pretty powerful stuff could be done.

I'll try to answer any questions, but am certainly no expert. I just found this when I started researching my "rabbit trail" when I asked myself, "What would happen if I...", and it actually started working. Next rabbit trail is, "What will happen if I have TouchOSC set as input to a Mackie AND Generic remote in Cubase?"

Thought and suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3971.jpg
    IMG_3971.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 22
There is. I have two way midi working in Logic anyway..

If you assign a control to logic (ie volume) then the midi data is sent back to the tablet keeping everything in sync. It’s setup specific though.
How did you connect the tablet with Logic ? As control surface or just via the Midi-bridge ? TouchOSC works great for me for KS and CC data, but it‘s not reliable for Logic short cuts and commands and I don‘t get the two way feature to work at all.

How did you connect the tablet with Logic ? As control surface or just via the Midi-bridge ? TouchOSC works great for me for KS and CC data, but it‘s not reliable for Logic short cuts and commands and I don‘t get the two way feature to work at all.
I think you need to add it as a control surface.

I'm experimenting with Open Stage Control on Logic and will probably investigate TouchOSC a bit more. My main hassle is the sheer lack of documentation on OSC protocol for Logic.

What I don't get so far is whether OSCulator is needed or not.

Mmh, I tried to avoid this, mostly because I‘m lazy and want keep it simple. Same for OSCulator. Butmaybe I need to dive in a bit more. Thanks anyway.

It doesn’t need to be added as a control surface for two way communication. You don’t even need to have the bridge running or go anywhere near OSC.

The setup is made possible via midi over lightening cable. Am away from the studio at the moment but if anyone wants more help, let me know and I’ll go into more detail when I can.

Top Bottom