Anyone own a Juno-DS88?

ag75

I am looking for a new controller that has a really great piano feel and one that also has some on board sounds so I’m not always having to hook it up to a computer to practice. Sweetwater is running an incredible deal on this particular model so I wanted to reach out to anyone in here to see if you might have some experience with this keyboard in terms of feel, weighted keys, playability?

thanks.

OP
ag75

ag75

Didn't own it but did test drive it various times in the store, if that has any value. Short answer I really liked it and was about to buy before I decided I'd rather save money and get a simple controller. Some very nice on board sounds too.

However where are you seeing this deal? Here it looks like standard price: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoDS88--roland-juno-ds88-88-key-synthesizer in fact it went up $100 since I last looked
Good to know. Actually I just realized it’s not that great of a deal. I got mixed up. Still pretty cheap for what you are getting.

bill5

It's not a "deal" at all; it's just the regular price, and about what you'll pay for comparable keyboards with similar features.

JPQ

Didn't own it but did test drive it various times in the store, if that has any value. Short answer I really liked it and was about to buy before I decided I'd rather save money and get a simple controller. Some very nice on board sounds too.

However where are you seeing this deal? Here it looks like standard price: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoDS88--roland-juno-ds88-88-key-synthesizer in fact it went up $100 since I last looked
what kind sounds these are what you really liked? if i forget Juno-G keys thing and very lkely goming display problems some pads i liked.

TomislavEP

I have Juno DS61 and I'm using it professionally along with the Kurzweil stage piano when playing gigs with a band. Before getting Juno, I've used Fantom X for many years.

Personally, I find Juno to be an almost perfect workstation for live performances. It has nearly all the sounds from the Fantom series built-in plus many new ones, and it can also load virtual SRX expansion boards. At first, Juno DS couldn't handle multisamples, but with the newest firmware update, it is now fully compatible in that respect.

The only downsides in my book are the lack of aftertouch (though I don't miss it that much as I'm actively using breath and foot controllers when performing), and the fact it can only load one expansion at the time.

I never tried an 88 keys model, though I'm guessing its keybed is decent in a Roland tradition. However, I think that a workstation keyboard such as this is a bit out of scope to be mainly used as a MIDI controller. I use Studiologic and M-AUDIO controllers for compositional and studio work. For practice, some stage pianos designed for home use - in the style of Clavinova - could also be a viable option.